Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2011, 07:22 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Shaker Heights , Ohio
factory supplied converter and batteries

Does anyone know which converter the As Factory installs in the new units? I can't seem to find out from them-I ask a service advisor and he doesn't know-he just tells me it's on eof the new ones we use currently and a tech doesn't know either-he just tells me it's a new one they buy from a manufacturer-nice...I'm trying to figure out if it's worth having them swap this out for our origianl while it's in for service-ours is the origianl Univolt from 1970 on our Overlander and the PO didn't give us the battery so we're trying to figure that out as well but the factory only seems to sell group 24's or sealed gels which I don't want to deal with at this time.
rayandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:26 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
jackson center , Ohio
Were you talking to a dealer or the Factory? Airstream uses Magnetek and Parrallax 55amp converters depending on model.
Schu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Ours has the Magnatek and came with the Interstate Gr24. That battery lasted 3 years. I switched to a Gr27.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:34 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Shaker Heights , Ohio
Schu-our unit is currently at the factory service center. Brought it in there 2 weeks ago (as new AS owners) to have them run it thru their 27 pt. inspection and run thru a list of things we wanted to have checked out so we new where we stood with it. Everyone's been really nice down there-just playing 20 questions for the past 2 weeks to get some clarity on our long laundry list.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:53 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Shaker Heights , Ohio
Shu-any idea which Parallax? the 7355 is single stage with an upgrade kit available for it to bring up to a 3 stage. I'm looking for a good quality electronic 3 stage converter. I thought Parallax bought Magnetek a few years back? oh, and when I aksed about a volt minder the tech seemed to think it was unnecessary-but we've been told our control panel "don't work" in their words so I'm looking for alternatives on monitoring systems if that is the case.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:24 AM   #6
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I can't find my notes but I believe that my trailer arrived with a Parallax 7455. It is not a multi-stage converter. I wouldn't recommend it. Although it works acceptably, the fan noise is excessive and it charges batteries at float voltage, which makes for lengthy charge times.

The "T" model Parallax sells, with a voltage step in the output curve, is a little better, but still lacks the sophistication of Progressive Dynamics and Xantrex devices.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:52 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Shaker Heights , Ohio
Thanks-for the honest evaluation-it seems to be a common complaint for those converters.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:15 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Sault ste Marie , Ontario
I replaced my ancient Buzzing box last year with an intellipower 9200 (I think the 60 amp model) from Best converter.com and got the voltminder at the same time. The thing works beautifully and is whisper quiet.
pgr32e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:47 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
jackson center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayandre View Post
Shu-any idea which Parallax? the 7355 is single stage with an upgrade kit available for it to bring up to a 3 stage. I'm looking for a good quality electronic 3 stage converter. I thought Parallax bought Magnetek a few years back? oh, and when I aksed about a volt minder the tech seemed to think it was unnecessary-but we've been told our control panel "don't work" in their words so I'm looking for alternatives on monitoring systems if that is the case.
I would not have a problem using a volt minder if you want to have warning indicators for battery charge.

Airstream uses Parallax (they did purchase Magnetek ) We use several Parallax models 7455 ,7355 which are 2 stage and we use a WFCO 35 amp 3 stage in the Sport model.
Schu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:47 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Shaker Heights , Ohio
Thanks Schu-I got the specks on the 3-stage-hadn't heard of that company before.