Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2014, 01:10 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Ventura , California
Factory 1,000 watt inverter

The 12v wiring diagram shows a transfer switch at the inverter. What does this do? Is not the inverter circuit separate from the AC system?
rp709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 01:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by rp709 View Post
The 12v wiring diagram shows a transfer switch at the inverter. What does this do? Is not the inverter circuit separate from the AC system?
What year are you talking about? On my 2014, with the factory 1000 watt inverter, all the power goes to the dedicated inverter circuit with dedicated outlets. There is no transfer switch on my rig.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
AFAIK, the WFCO inverters that the factory uses do NOT have an internal transfer switch. This is probably why they do not connect the 120 VAC plug that I see hanging on all of these units.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
AFAIK, the WFCO inverters that the factory uses do NOT have an internal transfer switch. This is probably why they do not connect the 120 VAC plug that I see hanging on all of these units.
Yes, as Lew states, the built in transfer switch that WFCO has available is either not installed or is not hooked up on the ones Airstream purchases, even though there is a 120 volt cord and plug looking like you can use it. At least that is true on mine, but one poster on the Forum said his did work. Mine does not.

My WFCO inverter works, but it has a very high standby use of power, in the range of 1.75 to 1.90 amps. Like some other electrical systems Airstream provides, it is a low cost piece of equipment, built down to a price.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:11 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Ventura , California
Transfer switch

On page 98 of the 2014 Flying Cloud AC wiring diagram it shows 600 watt inverter with transfer switch. Do you think it isn't used?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW VH 2014.jpg
Views:	621
Size:	267.1 KB
ID:	219679  
Old 08-24-2014, 04:27 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
It's listed as optional.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Unless you are getting 120VAC shore power thru your 'inverter' outlets while connected to shore power, you either don't have the transfer switch at the inverter or it was never connected by Airstream. I have yet to see an Airstream trailer that has the inverter's internal transfer function either in place or connected. Just another cost-cutting feature brought to you by the folks at Airstream!
Old 08-24-2014, 06:42 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
What year are you talking about? On my 2014, with the factory 1000 watt inverter, all the power goes to the dedicated inverter circuit with dedicated outlets. There is no transfer switch on my rig.
Same on my 2014 International 23D. The panel above the stove is for the optional, installed 1000 watt inverter.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:50 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by rp709 View Post
On page 98 of the 2014 Flying Cloud AC wiring diagram it shows 600 watt inverter with transfer switch. Do you think it isn't used?
Like many things in the various manuals the diagram states that there is a 600 watt inverter, yet in 2014 all factory inverters were 1000 watts. Airstream does not do a very good job of updating their manuals. I expect this diagram is simply wrong.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:08 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
My diagram also showed it as 600w. 1000w in same location under the roadside dinette.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:17 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
Like many things in the various manuals the diagram states that there is a 600 watt inverter, yet in 2014 all factory inverters were 1000 watts. Airstream does not do a very good job of updating their manuals.]
I'm sure there's a disclaimer somewhere (I haven't looked for it) that specs may change. Almost every manual for any car I've had has said that. You go by the sticker on the trailer which indicates how that unit is equipped.

Who is going to complain that they up graded the something during the production year? Not me.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:29 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The upgrade was to 1000 watt (vs. 600 watt) inverters on ALL 2104 factory equipped inverter Airstreams. But the manual for the 2014 was not updated properly. That is what I was mentioning. New equipment, old information in the manual.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:55 PM   #13
Winemaker

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Avila Beach , California
My 2012 FC came equipped from the factory with an 800w inverter that never really worked right. They replaced it with 1000w as the same brand as referred earlier in the thread. I agree completely with the statement that the power draw of the inverter is very high even when not in use. I like to run a night light so in order to avoid having to run the inverter all night I pulled some 12v lines from the storage compartment to the bedroom (and terminated at an installed switched receptacle) and purchased some individual 12v leds that I attached to a plug hence...a very low voltage/low current night light. The led lights I purchased have the driver/light in one unit and they are about 1w each.
rgwatkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:26 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Ventura , California
Transfer switch

My question for this post is about the 'transfer switch' listed on the wiring diagram, not the size of the inverter. Yes the diagram shows 600 watt inverter and we all know that it is now 1,000 watts. Is the transfer switch internal in the inverter and unused? Or, is there another power source for the 'blue labeled' switches besides the inverter? This would be the point of a transfer switch; to go between shore power and inverter power for the same outlets. So for me to understand the current system, do you have to unplug and move the TV cord to the outlet next to the 'blue label' outlet to get power when the inverter is off and shore power is available? My Xantrex 400 watt inverter that I added to my Safari hums when in use. It would be preferable to have these 'blue label' plugs powered from shore power when available automatically.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:49 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The 1000 watt WFCO factory inverter in my 2014 FC 20 has a 120 volt power cord supplied which apparently could have been attached to an internal transfer switch inside the inverter. That way, when the inverter was off, power could have been supplied to the "blue label" inverter outlets by the normal grid power system.

However, if you read the WFCO manual very carefully, it indicates that the transfer switch is optional (or "if supplied" or some other wording like that). Apparently AS did not take that option, at least on my unit. The WFCO has a power cord on it, but it is not connected to anything inside the inverter itself. I took my WFCO out to see if there was an internal transfer switch, simply not connected, but the case is riveted together and I did not wish to void the warrantee by drilling it apart to see how the internal wiring is done.

So, yes the blue labeled outlets only operate on the inverter and you do have to switch things like the DVD player and TV from one outlet to another when you wish to use the inverter.

At least on my WFCO, if there is an internal transfer switch, it is not connected to anything (but they did supply a power cord... how strange). After my warrantee is up, I may take it out and drill the rivets out and see what is really in there.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:54 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
New Ashford , Massachusetts
From WFCO site 1000w invert

An Internal 8.5 amp transfer switch is integrated into
each unit, providing power change over protection
between AC pass through (shore line or generator).
AC output voltage can be generated from a 12 volt
DC source (battery, solar, or wind turbine). A remote
control allows manual on /off of the inverter, and has
indicator lights that displays operation status.
Dexterpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:00 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterpix View Post
From WFCO site 1000w invert

An Internal 8.5 amp transfer switch is integrated into
each unit, providing power change over protection
between AC pass through (shore line or generator).
AC output voltage can be generated from a 12 volt
DC source (battery, solar, or wind turbine). A remote
control allows manual on /off of the inverter, and has
indicator lights that displays operation status.

Unfortunately, the manual which came with mine says that, but there is one of those damn * which leads you to find something like "* if equipped". Apparently Airstream did not check the box and the WFCO inverter in my rig has the power cord but no power passes through the inverter when it is off. So, the system is not activated, and the box is riveted together so I can't get inside without voiding the warrantee.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:58 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
simi valley , California
Contrary to some who say they know I talked to WFCO about the airstream 600w & the 1000w inverters all units supplied to airstream have a internal transfer switch, my 2013 25fb came with 600w I hooked ac power to the power cord on the inverter and I got ac on the inverter outlets (note do not turn on the inverter) when on shore or gen, I have now up dated to wfco 1000w and it also has the internal transfer switch and it works perfect . If yours dose not you should call wfco service they will be happy to help you. I don't know where some who say it dose not have a transfer switch got there info but it is wrong! If any one is in SoCal contact me I show you that it works I will all so at balloon fiesta.
Rick stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:34 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick stream View Post
Contrary to some who say they know I talked to WFCO about the airstream 600w & the 1000w inverters all units supplied to airstream have a internal transfer switch, my 2013 25fb came with 600w I hooked ac power to the power cord on the inverter and I got ac on the inverter outlets (note do not turn on the inverter) when on shore or gen, I have now up dated to wfco 1000w and it also has the internal transfer switch and it works perfect . If yours dose not you should call wfco service they will be happy to help you. I don't know where some who say it dose not have a transfer switch got there info but it is wrong! If any one is in SoCal contact me I show you that it works I will all so at balloon fiesta.
Rick.
What is an internal transfer switch?
Old 09-16-2014, 09:39 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick stream View Post
If your WFCO does indeed have the internal transfer switch, then it should not make a difference if your inverter is 'on' or 'off' as it should 'know' when it is passing the 120VAC thru to the outlets and should not invert. All Magnums work this way.

The inverter light will be on if the invert button is depressed, but in the presence of shore power, the unit is not inverting, but is in charge mode (all Magnums except the 600 watt inverter only have a complete charger section as well.)