Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2012, 09:36 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Calgary , Alberta
External battery box

I jumped the gun getting batteries for my trailer and now I need to figure out how to make them work. I have a 79-31' with dual front battery boxes. I figured that they "looked" big enough to fit 6v batteries. I was wrong. The batteries are 1/2" too tall to fit into the existing plastic liners, they fit through the access doors, just not the old plastic box. Now I need to either build new boxes for the front inside of the trailer or make an external box to mount on the "A" of the hitch. I know that Hydrogen off gassing is an issue with the internal boxes, how was this dealt with in "OLDE TYME"? My doors have cutouts for ventilation around the edges.
Am I further ahead to just custom fab a tray and cover for my batteries and move the propane tanks forward as needed to make space?

Does anyone have pictures of what they have done to address this?
Advise?
Sternly worded warnings?
Offers to drive to Calgary and do it for me?

Cheers

Dan
Loeber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Make a rack to sit on the A frame just ahead of the trailer body and mount 2 boat battery plastic boxes on the rack. If you have to move the LP tanks and have a hand crank jack, make sure you leave enough room to crank it without busting your knuckles.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:51 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Spruce Grove , Alberta
Dan, I have the exact same problem. Haven't figured it out for myself yet either. However I am going to remedy the issue this week. So if you come up with something let ms know and I'll do the same. Unless you have so much fun with yours you want to drive up to Edmonton to do mine to. Lol
Terry
TPickerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:03 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Spruce Grove , Alberta
Hey Dan do you have a front credenza or a side credenza? I worked on my 81 excella II tonight. ripped out the univolt, tore appart the inside of the credenza. looks like I can fit the two batteries in longways in between the two existing boxes. I will make a box out of plywood tomorrow and make vent holes into the existing battery boxes that will be unused. looks like it will work out good inside. I was a little leary of making an external battery box on the hitch. stuff is tight enough up there. I'll post pictures tomorrow night.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:26 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Instead of trying to fabricate battery boxes, have you looked at going to a marine supply store and purchasing marine battery boxes that you can mount externally? Should be able to find boxes that fit the batteries you bought.

Battery Mart has some nice aluminum ones: http://www.batterymart.com/p-box-27-...ttery-box.html The one I linked to is a Group 27. You didn't say what size batteries you bought, so this one might not work, but I'm sure they have others in different sizes.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:12 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Check out my thread on the 78 Sovereign:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f219...ign-14737.html

Post #11.

Having personaly witnessed an almost new AS crap out a battery and off gas H2S (there were dogs in the trailer while this happened) I would strongly suggest putting the batteries outside or in a secure airtight and vented box.

Most of the plastic boxes installed by AS for containing the off gas of the batteries are now cracked and brocken making them useless for preventing H2S from getting into the cabin.

Good luck on the rebuild - ask lots of questions.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:26 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Spruce Grove , Alberta
well beat my head against the wall for a bit tonight. I couldn't come up with a permanent solution. Since we are headed camping tomorrow. I really don't have room to put the batteries on the hitch and I'm not into moving my propane tanks. plus there is no battery boxes that will take both of them and have a chance of fitting anywhere. so my solution to get me camping tomorrow is that I found a Rubbermaid containner that fits both batteries snuggly so they are together and don't move around. I've hooked them up and tomorrow at work I will be extending the cables so that I can just set the container on the ground by the trailer for this trip.
My future plan is to remove the battery trays that are in the trailer right now. Custom fab a battery box that links both battery doors that holds the batteries the way I want it too to maximize the space I have and incorporate my boondocker converter into it. This should give me lots of room and free flow ventilation. I'll keep you posted.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Calgary , Alberta
87MH.

Thanks! I knew I had seen those pictures before. Very much the same set up I will have. I need to move the LPG tanks forward 3/4" to fit the Marine box I got but it will do nicely.

TPick. Mine will be on the ground (in the box) this weekend too at Dino Prov in Brooks. Should be a gooder. Our first "out trip".
Loeber is offline   Reply With Quote