Old 10-09-2018, 08:22 PM   #1
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Expion 360 Lithium Batteries

Curious if anybody that recently took delivery of a new Airstream was offered the Expion360 LifePO4 upgrade. The battery has several features like the serviceable BMS and 120 Amp hours in a smaller group 24 box but it does cost more than most others. Many Airstream dealers have them in stock but haven't seen any remarks on them here on the forums. They are also marketing a new Battery monitor as well with a 350 amp shunt. It is not our product BTW but it sure seems to cover some gaps in the others.

68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:40 AM   #2
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
I believe there was a pseudo new Airstream owner who was promoting the line...turned out to be someone connected to the company. Mods closed & blocked it.

Cost more...yep pretty much.

Bob
🇺🇸

"The hardest thing about Airstreaming, clearing your head and accepting how others feel it’s supposed to be done"…..
Amanamus

"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I believe there was a pseudo new Airstream owner who was promoting the line...turned out to be someone connected to the company. Mods closed & blocked it.

Cost more...yep pretty much.

Bob
����
You linked to the kits. They are more expensive. You can buy them individually without the converter, cabling and monitor for the same price. $9.58 per AH and 120 AH instead of 100 and packed in a group 24 battery case instead of the larger grout 27. Same 10 year warranty and external serviceable BMS. Airstream is selling them too and lots of them.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:03 PM   #4
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Overlander;21c66415
Curious if anybody that recently took delivery of a new Airstream was offered the Expion360 LifePO4 upgrade. The battery has several features like the serviceable BMS and 120 Amp hours in a smaller group 24 box but it does cost more than most others. Many Airstream dealers have them in stock but haven't seen any remarks on them here on the forums. They are also marketing a new Battery monitor as well with a 350 amp shunt. It is not our product BTW but it sure seems to cover some gaps in the others.
68 OVERLANDER - I just found out about EXPION when I was at dealer for some minor warranty work. I am currently not in market for Lithium. Right now, we are 99% full hookups campers and our Interstate is only 8 months old. Gives me enough time to contemplate Lithium replacements hopefully for a few more years when the AGMs need replacing. But I am considering their Battery Monitor. On top of my list was Victron BMV 712 with built in bluetooth. I just got off phone with Expion today and confirmed their's does not have bluetooth. But I am still considering them because they say all the info is displayed right there on-screen all at once. I have to confirm this yet if true. Requested a pic of the screen displaying all info. This is a bit important to me for ease of use for my wife & daughters. I am a techie and have no problem with scrolling through multi-screens. But wife & daughters have tough enough time figuring out all the technology of the rv, so I want something that will not frustrate them. But if they still have to flip back & forth between screens, I will probably go with Victron. I think Victron comes with 500A shunt vs. 350A for Expion (though that shouldn't matter for my Interstate).
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 07:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
68 OVERLANDER - I just found out about EXPION when I was at dealer for some minor warranty work. I am currently not in market for Lithium. Right now, we are 99% full hookups campers and our Interstate is only 8 months old. Gives me enough time to contemplate Lithium replacements hopefully for a few more years when the AGMs need replacing. But I am considering their Battery Monitor. On top of my list was Victron BMV 712 with built in bluetooth. I just got off phone with Expion today and confirmed their's does not have bluetooth. But I am still considering them because they say all the info is displayed right there on-screen all at once. I have to confirm this yet if true. Requested a pic of the screen displaying all info. This is a bit important to me for ease of use for my wife & daughters. I am a techie and have no problem with scrolling through multi-screens. But wife & daughters have tough enough time figuring out all the technology of the rv, so I want something that will not frustrate them. But if they still have to flip back & forth between screens, I will probably go with Victron. I think Victron comes with 500A shunt vs. 350A for Expion (though that shouldn't matter for my Interstate).
Hi Alex,
I received my sample of the Expion battery monitor and will be ordering some immediately! This thing is really impressive. Right off the bat, it's tiny and although it doesn't have bluetooth, like you said, everything is on the display at once so there is no toggling to find the value you are looking for. The other thing is programming. It couldn't be any easier and that is one of the issues we have dealt with over the years with other monitors...hours of phone time helping folks program it. Certainly don't mind but it's frustrating for some people that want the information but not the hassle getting it set up. The 350 amp shut is adequate and it can monitor up to 590 AH and up to 80 volts. I'll try and post some photos of it.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
New Expion 360 Battery monitor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3019.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	290.4 KB
ID:	327254   Click image for larger version

Name:	0_clipped_rev_1.png
Views:	35
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	327255  

Name:	IMG_3020_clipped_rev_1.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	327256   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3030.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	299.2 KB
ID:	327257  

Name:	0.png
Views:	35
Size:	341.4 KB
ID:	327258  
Old 11-13-2018, 11:41 PM   #7
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Overlander View Post
New Expion 360 Battery monitor
RANDY- Sorry for delayed response, been busy with our of town visitors. That's Vegas life Got mine last week. But don't have time to install it yet. Other projects in the queue, need some good block of rig downtime so I can do all at once.

That's very high praise from you, which makes me much more happier with my choice, just the fact you deal with these products a lot, your opinion carries lots of weight. I am just a newbie who did a bit of research and narrowed it to the Victron BMV 712 and this. The ease of use won me over for my other members of family sake. Small, form factor makes me super happy.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:37 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
RANDY- Sorry for delayed response, been busy with our of town visitors. That's Vegas life Got mine last week. But don't have time to install it yet. Other projects in the queue, need some good block of rig downtime so I can do all at once.

That's very high praise from you, which makes me much more happier with my choice, just the fact you deal with these products a lot, your opinion carries lots of weight. I am just a newbie who did a bit of research and narrowed it to the Victron BMV 712 and this. The ease of use won me over for my other members of family sake. Small, form factor makes me super happy.
I’m only familiar with 4 battery monitors though there are more. Trimetric, Xantrex, Expion and Victron. Each have their unique benefits but the Expion will easily be the easiest to install and program and having everything on one screen makes sense. I still love and use the Trimetric Boondocker as well.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Here is a better photo of the screen that does show everything is displayed at once. Took less than 3 mins to program.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Expionface.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	329631