Old 05-11-2015, 11:26 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Expected Amp Draw Questions

I recently purchased a clamp on ammeter.

I'm trying to determine if my AS is within specs when not on shore power.

One of the modifications I made was to move the LP leak detector to the opposite side of the Use/Store switch so when on Store the LP leak detector is not connected.

With the AS not connected to shore power and the Use/Store switch on Store should I see any draw when I have the ammeter on the negative batter cable now that the LP leak detector is not on the battery side?

When the Use/Store switch is on Use and all lights off, fridge off, radio off, subwoofer disconnected, water pump off what would the expected draw show? Only the LP leak detector should be drawing power. Does the converter/charger draw any power? I have a Progressive Dynamics PD4655.

When the water pump is switched on but the system is pressurized does it draw some power?

How much will the fridge draw when on LP?

I've converted all the Halogen lights to LED replacement "bulbs". I've replaced the fluorescent tubes in my over head lights with LED adhesive backed strips, two strips per fixture, 4 in the hallway and one in the bath.

How much would a couple of over head lights on?

Kelvin

Old 05-11-2015, 11:32 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
When mine is on store (and I too moved the propane detector feed) I still have 150 - 200mA of draw. My Trimetric is still active and draws a bit. Someone around here believed that the Disc brake actuator has a keep alive circuit, which could draw????? The only other thing that is alive, IIRC, is the tongue jack, but I can't believe it draws anything, except when activated.

I have a 15W solar trickle charger that nets 750mA to the batts, with my draw at store mode, so I don't worry about finding every little trace.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:35 AM   #3
jay

1974 27' Overlander
danville , New Hampshire
Keep in mind that a typical clamp meter will not read DC current. There are specialized meters that will but you need to make sure you have one.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I haven' checked to answer all your "use" questions, but the radio draws, even when off. It has a keep alive circuit (maybe 100mA at most)??

I want to say, when boondocking, during day...no LED lighting, but fridge on, pump on and switch in "use" obviously, I draw 1.5A - 2A. That's with the fridge fans off, no Fantastic Fan, etc.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 05-11-2015, 11:57 AM   #5
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
The radio is still hot to remember settings, the store/use switching stays hot so you can turn it back on. Water pump will use power to sample pressure to know when to start again, when switched on.
Pull battery cables off to see what needs to be reset, this will tell you some of the parasitic loss that occurs between store and disconnected.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDONA View Post
The radio is still hot to remember settings, the store/use switching stays hot so you can turn it back on. Water pump will use power to sample pressure to know when to start again, when switched on.
Pull battery cables off to see what needs to be reset, this will tell you some of the parasitic loss that occurs between store and disconnected.
I disagree with that statement. The last time I checked, the water pump pressure switch was just that, a switch, and when the pressure in the water system is such that the switch has turned the pump off, it will draw no current.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I disagree with that statement. The last time I checked, the water pump pressure switch was just that, a switch, and when the pressure in the water system is such that the switch has turned the pump off, it will draw no current.
That's my understanding too....but with the new variable speeds with a board???? I still think it's a switch though....then it looks at ambient pressure.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:16 PM   #8
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
My water pump install instructions that came with my rig state there is power in use when the water pump is on, yet not actually pumping, just monitoring.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:21 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDONA View Post
My water pump install instructions that came with my rig state there is power in use when the water pump is on, yet not actually pumping, just monitoring.
Measure it with a meter. I'd bet there is none.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:21 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Here is the ammeter I purchased. Its supposed to measure DC amps.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm not sure it can read small amounts of current.

I forgot about the hydraulic brake actuator. I have a trailer brake magnet that is spliced in parallel off the hot line. Maybe that is drawing some current? I could cut that line and test out the brakes. I have a Prodigy P2 set to electric over hydraulic so maybe I don't need it.

When the Store/Use switch is in Store the radio is disconnected. I'm always having to set it up.

Kelvin
Old 05-11-2015, 12:54 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
The pendant on my 4655 was indicating when connected to the battery and there was no power to the converter. So there is some parasitic drain from the converter. I don't know how much it is; I have never measured it.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 01:14 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Here is the ammeter I purchased. Its supposed to measure DC amps.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm not sure it can read small amounts of current.

I forgot about the hydraulic brake actuator. I have a trailer brake magnet that is spliced in parallel off the hot line. Maybe that is drawing some current? I could cut that line and test out the brakes. I have a Prodigy P2 set to electric over hydraulic so maybe I don't need it.

When the Store/Use switch is in Store the radio is disconnected. I'm always having to set it up.

Kelvin

You don't want to exclude the brake actuator from the "alive ALL the time circuits" If you should ever tow with the cutoff switch "off" and had a disconnect from TV, you would have no breakaway braking.

Don't think your magnets have any draw unless the brakes are activated. Tha actuator does have a board and monitoring circuit...allegedly. I have never checked is.

Old 05-11-2015, 01:17 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Kelvin -

You can go to the Uni-T website and get the specs for that meter. Regarding DC current, this is what it says:
DC Current (A) 40A/400A (2%+3)
This article talks about accuracy specifications.

How to Determine Digital Multimeter Accuracy

Based on this, and assuming percent of full scale, the meter will read +/- 0.8 A +/- 3 least significant digits. Assuming that it shows 1 decimal point, it will read +/- 1.1 A. Even though it may not be very accurate, it may still be useful to see if there is current flowing, and to help you figure out where it is going (pull fuses until the reading changes). It just won't measure that low current very accurately.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 02:20 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
You don't want to exclude the brake actuator from the "alive ALL the time circuits" If you should ever tow with the cutoff switch "off" and had a disconnect from TV, you would have no breakaway braking.

Don't think your magnets have any draw unless the brakes are activated. Tha actuator does have a board and monitoring circuit...allegedly. I have never checked is.
When I bought this preowned trailer I had the Airstream dealership replace the Actibrake controller with a Dexter as part of the deal. I'm not sure if they installed the brake magnet. I later discovered the charge line from the tow vehicle was directly connected to the brake controller and not charging the trailer batteries while towing. I cut the black wire and moved the two wires to the positive bus bar that is below the Use/Store relay under the front bed that is always hot when the batteries are connected. I don't hear the controller running unless the brake pedal is pushed. I could be drawing some small amount.

I'll try to take some readings this weekend when I take the Airstream out.

Kelvin