Old 11-28-2018, 01:09 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Conroe , Texas
Eric's lithium and solar install

I recently completed the replacement of my two stock Group 24 Interstate batteries with three 100ah Battle Born batteries. I was finally ready to upgrade from the stock batteries which seem to be an ongoing issue for so many of us. My upgrade included the three lithium batteries, installing a Progressive Dynamics 9160L converter for charging lithium batteries, a Victron BMV712 battery monitor, and a Victron MPPT 100/50 solar controller. I will be adding 4 100 watt Renogy solar panels to the roof in the next couple of weeks so I wanted to install the controller while I was replacing the batteries.

I decided to place the three batteries under the bed of my 2018 Airstream Serenity 27FB as this seems to be a popular place for this configuration. I started by removing the existing batteries, cutting the existing terminals on the 4 gauge wire to the inverter, and 6 gauge wire to the always on bus bar. I then pulled these wires through the floor of the trailer into the compartment occupied by the inverter and 12VDC box. The wires were long enough to reach into the space under the bed. I have no plans to replace the 1000 watt stock inverter so I did not need to upgrade the wire size. I also pulled the trailer jack positive wire into the trailer and the two wires for the Zamp connection on the trailer tongue. I had to add length to all of these wires to have them reach inside the trailer.

I connected the three batteries in parallel using 1/0 wire of all the same length. I ran both leads off the batteries through disconnect switches mounted in the front storage compartment and to their respective bus bar and shunt. I realize I did not need two switches but there seems to be some controversy about which side the disconnect should be attached to so I did both.

I mounted the solar controller in the front storage compartment and ran 6 gauge wire to the bus bar and shunt.

The entire conversion went exactly as planned and seems to be functioning quite well. The whole process was not that hard but did involve a lot of custom cables, proper size ring terminals, and heat shrink. I used a hammer crimper to attach the cable lugs to the wire.

I have to give a big shout out and thanks to alano for his technical and design help in assisting me with the proper equipment and wiring. Thanks!

I now will be selling my two Group 24 Interstate batteries if anyone is in the Houston area and interested. They were brand new in August 2018. I also have a multistage Progressive Dynamics 9270 converter with 14.8 volts boost mode for sale at a good price. It also was brand new in August 2018. Additionally I have a multistage WFCO 9855 converter that was the stock converter that came with the trailer for sale. If you are interested in any of these please PM me. All are in perfect condition.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Before.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	207.5 KB
ID:	328686Click image for larger version

Name:	After.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	243.3 KB
ID:	328687Click image for larger version

Name:	Solar.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	328688

Pencilpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 03:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
Nicely done! I too installed my system in stages with the batteries on day one, the controller upgrade on day two, the solar controller on day three, solar panel mounting on day four, and wired the solar panels on day five. So based on my timeline, you are two installation days away from having a solar powered Airstream.

I also used an Alano design and am ecstatic with the results.

AirMiles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:20 PM   #3
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Other than the converter I have exactly the same hardware setup. Working well for a year. Good luck with yours!