Old 10-31-2010, 06:31 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
EnerGenius in our MH burns up

Last week Tami had a big scare. The inverter/converter in our classic MH started to smoke & shoot out flames. I had to leave work to come home to save our home. Some items on the circut board had gone bad. It was black up near the top. I ordered a replacement converter from Best Converter & used the same distribution panel. After removing the interior parts, I installed the new converter. It fit right inside the old EnerGenius housing. I'm going to miss the inverter part.

Ricky
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5608.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	363.9 KB
ID:	114242   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5610.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	326.9 KB
ID:	114243  

Name:	100_5613.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	323.0 KB
ID:	114244  

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:14 PM   #2
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
3Dog, boy did you dodge a bullet! Sounds like a good day to buy a loto ticket. You're one lucky fellow!

ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Replacing my Energenius as well; Darned glad I am!

Well, Following 3 Dog's post, I decided to replace mine as well. My house batteries were just not keeping a charge ( 2 years old) and before I put new batts in I was going to replace the converter with an updated 3 stage charger. When I went to check the voltage out I was getting 18.3V! No wonder the batts were trash! Darned lucky it didn't cause a fire.

I went about pulling all the batts out (house and start). I had no idea what was wired where and by whom in it's past, so I thought this was a safe precaution. It would also give me a chance to see what fed what when I put it back together. So everything was disconnected and shore power/Gen not hooked up.

Four screws got the front panel off. The I had to figure out how to take out the four screws holding it to the floor that weren't accessible.... Finally after some thought and a trip to Lowes, I removed the two drawers above it and used a ratchet with an 18" extension to get at the screws. What a PITA!

Name:	IMG_1891.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	278.4 KB
ID:	198963

It was then a slow geometrically challenging process to wiggle the unit out of the cabinet. Since they didn't give you enough wire to pull it straight out, you hav to pull it out while turning it, but it is also just a hair long to make that an easy evolution!

Name:	IMG_1893.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	395.9 KB
ID:	198964

So once it was out, the first thing I saw was the darkening on the circuit board in the exact same place that 3 Dog Nite had his short out. I think I dodged the bullet on that one!

Name:	IMG_1902.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	266.4 KB
ID:	198965

After looking as closely as I could to 3 Dog Nites pics, I went about removing everything that wasn't part of the actual breaker panel... At one point I looked down and thought WTF did I just do?? Hope this works

Name:	IMG_1908.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	347.6 KB
ID:	198966

For some reason, I picked up the multi-meter and checked the voltage. It read 6.8 volts. Hmmmm I took out all the caps and everything else. I have no idea where the volts were coming from. I checked all over and could not find any battery or power sources anywhere. I was getting 0 every other place I check voltage.

I got the converted in and am just waiting on the shunt to hook up the batter meter while everything is out and apart.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Nice work wxbuoy. I've had 3 people PM me so far asking for more details. I gutted the interior of the EnerGenious leaving the power distribution (both 12v dc &120V ac) and the magnetic relay. See the uppper right photo in post 1. The light blue capacitor later came out.

The converter I chose is a PD9200 from Progressive Dynamics. This was mounted inside where the burned out parts were. The power cord from the converter is fed through a hole drilled & protected with a rubber grommet. The white wire is the controller that came with with the converter.

I connected the output from the converter to the input terminals on the distribution center. They can barely be seen in the top of the center photo. The connections with blue crimps on the magnetic switch are powered by the generator. This closes the contacts and powers the distribution panel from the generator. I cut the end off the converter plug and wired it in directly to an extra breaker so I turn it off till the generator stabilizes when first started. Note: This will void your warranty. I had the option to plug it in under the sink where the instant water heater was.

Don't forget to drill extra vent holes where the converter fans blows hot air out. Don't forget to put something down to protect the floor. I used a piece of plexiglass.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GEDC0092.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	294.4 KB
ID:	199004   Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC0095.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	246.9 KB
ID:	199005  

Name:	GEDC0087.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	216.2 KB
ID:	199006  

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Thanks!!! Will be heading over there tomorrow afternoon to start putting the converter in. Will let you know how it goes!
Old 11-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Shore power is wired

Well Spent the morning and afternoon doing a little bit of electrical detective work....

So here is what I will add to 3 Dog Nite's post about the conversion.

First the below is provided for entertainment value only. You should seek the advice of a competent and licensed electrician prior to starting any work. I am neither!

After you have the cover removed from the energenius, pull off all the wires with crimped terminals from the boards.

The remove the large electrical transformer (the big brown kinda rusty thing dead center bolted to the base.

After that is out pull off any loose wire harnesses. Remover the panel from the back right and back left. You will be taking the wires off the 12vdc lugs at the top right.

One most of the stuff is clear you will be able to see the transfer switch:

Name:	IMG_1934.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	334.9 KB
ID:	199174

You want to label 3 sets of wires, and then remove the rest. On the back of the panel. Here is a shot showing just them with the transfer switch removed. DO NOT REMOVE THE TRANSFER switch. You will just have to re-attach it....Trust me on this. :

Name:	IMG_1907.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	346.5 KB
ID:	199176

Looking at the wires in the above picture (some idiot removed the transfer switch....) . Here is what they are:

Far right Black and white: Shore power input from 30 AMP service.
Middle Whites: Neutral for Generator and feed TO power panel on other side
Middle Blacks (marked ML): Power input from Generator and power to power panel on other side
Far Left Blacks: One is OUTPUT from Breaker #1 (main), the other is Power TO all the other breakers.

Make sure you keep the wires connected to the transfer switch that come through the back of the lower wall. If not, MAKE sure to label them!

The only two that won't be connected will be the 2 black wires that come through the far left grommet. They were hooked to one of the transistor broads. These are the Breaker #1 power out and other breakers feed wire. Connect these together as seen below.

Name:	IMG_1935.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	256.8 KB
ID:	199175

All that is left is to make a jumper from the middle set of wires (white and black from the generator) to the small terminal just above them BUT below the shore tie input> Look at the middle picture in post #4, the jumpers with the blue connectors. This supplies power from the generator to the magnetic switch to to close the contacts and thereby providing power to the bottom set of wires feeding breaker #1.

Here is the wiring diagram for the same type of switch. Ignore the time delay module on the top. You cut this out with all the bad circuitry. If you want to replace it you can get a new Iota ITS-30R ; 30 amp automatic transfer switch with time delay for $80-$90. I plan to just secure the main breaker and once the generator is up to speed (30 seconds) I will them turn the main breaker back on.

http://www.chargingchargers.com/iota/30r-wiring.pdf

I am still trying to decide where to mount the converter to charge the batteries. I go the poweremax boondocker from Best converters, It was recommended by Randy for my set up. It most likely would fit inside the gutted energenius case, but I don't like a charger being so hard to get at....

I will probably mount it under the sink on the bulkhead and use the outlet for the hot water on demand system. This way I can easily see it and turn it on or off as I please with out dissembling everything.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Ricky, We are so glad that you and Tami were not injured and that you got that thing out of there and replaced! Geez!!! Thank goodness you are a handy dude!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:11 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1991 30' Airstream 30
San Francisco , California
Thanks for the great thread and info! I am close to being finished with my upgrade, but I'm still stumped by a couple things (no wiring diagram for my 300LE). I took out the relay in the Energenius, but I get what it's for now (select gen or shore) and will put it back in, then run the output to the Magnum inverter/charger. I'll run from the inverter to the AC panel 30 amp main breaker (it has a relay for shore/invert) and just not use the AC if the inverter is on.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1401764981.688415.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	665.9 KB
ID:	213379
What has me stumped is the second relay switch (with time delay) under the stove?
I have a line in from the generator, and a line in from shore power to the AC panel (was Energenius front), and a line from the generator to the rear AC unit? I don't have any manual switch?
Given time, I'm sure I'll figure it out, but any insight is appreciated.