Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2009, 09:29 PM   #1

2009 25' FB Classic
marfa , Texas
Electrical System Down because of 240 Volts

Hello All,

I know for a fact that I plugged a 2006 safari into a 240 Volt outlet. The capacitor (C7 on the circuit board) near the fuse box and converter completely blew out and nearly started a fire.

The plug has since been replaced with a 120 Volt outlet, but only a few systems work.

The good: Lights, Battery Charging System still work.

The bad: Fridge is on Gas, GFCI bath-Refer-Gallery(?) breaker breaks every time you attempt to turn on, & Microwave won't work.

What else is needed besides a new capacitor, converter? Who or what is a good source to fix this?

Thanks,

Michael
camachito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
I would start by unplugging the appliances from the circuit if possible then testing the circuit(s) for damage without any load, then add each appliance until you isolate the cause. You might find damaged wiring, but if other circuits are ok, it more than likely is some type of appliance or power drawing item on that circuit that is fused between both poles and tripping the breaker.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
The Fridge

The Fridge is probably toast... (the circuit board in it anyway). I did that about 5 years ago (the electrician was to put in an outside 30A 120 plug and he wired it for 240v.... his insurance covered all my damage. If you have an electronic ignition water heater, check that too. Good luck.
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:07 AM   #4

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Some portable electronic items are set up to handle dual voltages. Things like laptops, cell phones and most things with a "Charger" work fine, but built-in items generally don't.

If it were me:

I would suspect that the damage is at the appliance(s) and not the wiring. I would confirm this by checking the trailer circuits first as goransons recommended. If the voltages check out ok at the wall plug then I would start on the individual appliances.

Is the gfci tripping without something being plugged in?

You're not the first, or the last person to have this happen. It's easy to mistake the NEMA TT-30 plug for 240 volts.

Regards,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:28 AM   #5
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by camachito View Post
Hello All,

I know for a fact that I plugged a 2006 safari into a 240 Volt outlet. The capacitor (C7 on the circuit board) near the fuse box and converter completely blew out and nearly started a fire.

The plug has since been replaced with a 120 Volt outlet, but only a few systems work.

The good: Lights, Battery Charging System still work.

The bad: Fridge is on Gas, GFCI bath-Refer-Gallery(?) breaker breaks every time you attempt to turn on, & Microwave won't work.

What else is needed besides a new capacitor, converter? Who or what is a good source to fix this?

Thanks,

Michael
Michael,
It is quite possible that the breakers are toasted as well. they are rated for 120 VAC 30A,15A,15A... with 240 you halved the current but the magnetic trip system in the breakers may have been damaged.
As for your items that do not work. all the control boards are likely fried.
the heater coil on the fridge may be damaged as well if it was on electric.
The AC wire (insulation) is rated up to 600 volts.
Your best bet is to take back to the dealer and have the do a once or twice over.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote