Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2015, 01:32 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
McMinnville , Oregon
Electrical Plug in during Storage?

I would like to do what is best for my battery while I will not be using my AS Bambi for a couple of months. Is it best to plug it into shore power or just use the electrical shut off from the switch inside the trailer and shut it all down? Thanks, Cameron
curnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:36 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Portland , Oregon
I keep mine in the garage, fully charged, on a battery maintainer that is connected to a mechanical timer that runs two hours a day. When I go get the trailer I install the batteries and they are fully charged and good to go.
leedav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:49 PM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
The "Store/Use" switch in current trailers doesn't cut out the propane detector. I don't know if the one in your y2k trailer works differently... if the batteries are really physically disconnected and fully charged at the beginning, they should be fine sitting for a couple of months. If you're still running the propane detector with the switch off, you'd do better to physically disconnect at one of the negative posts.

If you have an upgraded 3-stage converter-charger it should be OK to leave a trailer with good batteries plugged in and the converter will go to "float" without hurting them.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 03:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
What would you do if you were camping for multiple months in the same location?
I see no difference between staying for three months in 1 spot in Florida or 3 months in my driveway.

Gary
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 04:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
What would you do if you were camping for multiple months in the same location?
I see no difference between staying for three months in 1 spot in Florida or 3 months in my driveway. Gary
Gary, you are 100% correct. If you leave your Airstream-supplied single-stage charger plugged in for three months and don't switch to the "store mode" on a regular basis, either in a campground or in your driveway, you will fry your batteries!
Old 08-12-2015, 04:55 PM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
Gary, you are 100% correct. If you leave your Airstream-supplied single-stage charger plugged in for three months and don't switch to the "store mode" on a regular basis, either in a campground or in your driveway, you will fry your batteries!
Yep.....Florida 'lectricty is the same as the rest of the country.

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:25 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
McMinnville , Oregon
So, I should unplug it, cut the power at the switch inside the trailer and if I can, disconnect CO2. Plug in every month or so to charge up the battery? Does this sound like a reasonable way to go. I don't believe it has a 3Way converter/charger but I will check the manual. Thanks for all you input. Glad to hear any additional thoughts. CU
curnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:53 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
So, I should unplug it, cut the power at the switch inside the trailer and if I can, disconnect CO2. Plug in every month or so to charge up the battery?

Sort of, don't worry about the switch inside, just disconnect the terminals directly from the battery, set them to the side and leave it. As long as it stays relatively warm it will be ready for you in a few months. Don't need to charge every month or so though it doesn't hurt, just not necessary. Stored my truck this way many times for long deployments(8-10mos) just disconnected battery, when I got back I'd just reconnect and she started right up, that battery lasted 8 years.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:14 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
Quote:

That's good to know, how many years will it take to " fry" my batteries? We have gone to Florida the last 3 years for 3 months and have had no problems. The batteries still hold a full charge for several weeks when the trailer is unplugged.

Gary
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:35 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
I have my trailer plugged in except when traveling. I check the batteries twice a year.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:40 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
I turn the interior switch to "store", and put the battery on a BatteryMinder, Avoid Battery Sulfation with a Desulfating Battery Charger | BatteryMINDers. Battery is always ready to go, and I do not mess with unhooking a battery terminal.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:07 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by curnes View Post
I would like to do what is best for my battery while I will not be using my AS Bambi for a couple of months. Is it best to plug it into shore power or just use the electrical shut off from the switch inside the trailer and shut it all down? Thanks, Cameron
Your trailer batteries will be ok if you plug in full time, BUT you must do the proper maintenance while it is plugged in. You must check the batteries. If you let them go dry they will be ruined.

Your options are:
1. leave it plugged in, you go by and check.
2. leave it plugged in, use a timer to limit the charge.
3. leave it unplugged, you go by and plug it up occasionally
4. leave it unplugged, forget about it till next trip (battery may be dead)

add edit: Even if you would change to a multi-stage converter, you still have to check the batteries' electrolyte.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:21 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cassopolis , Michigan
I use AGM batteries instead of wet cells. The current ones are 6 years old. I store our trailer for 6 months in an unheated barn in sub freezing Michigan weather, and it's always ready to go in the spring; first thing is to operate the electric tongue jack. No problem.
biyak269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:49 AM   #14
Glamper Girl

2008 23' International
Sunny San Diego , California
Quote:
AnnArborbob,
I'm curious, I have solar, but prefer to be plugged in to electrical outlet because I'm running my fantastic fans and keep a dehumidifier running (since I live near the coast). How often should I be switching to "store mode"?
Old 08-13-2015, 11:50 AM   #15
SipStreamer

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Lakeside , Montana
Even disconnected batteries will slowly discharge. I remove mine from AS, take home, and charge once a month.
StreamDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 02:45 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
If your batteries have removable caps, once in storage, remove them once a month and check the electrolyte level. Have a bottle of distilled water available to bring up any low levels. Using a Battery Tender / Battery Minder should reduce the amount of water that gets boiled off yet still keep your batteries charged.
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:12 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Not sure about all the models, but my store switch does not isolate the converter from the batteries. With the 30amp cord plugged in I would have to either disconnect the batts at their terminals, or unplug the converter from 120v.

I choose to leave the 30amp cord hooked up, unplug the converter (to prolong its life, theoretically) and use a 15 watt solar panel to keep the batts alive.

If I want to work on a project, I still have 120V to the outlets. If it's dark out, I just throw the store switch on for the time I'm in there.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:43 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwheels View Post
AnnArborbob,
I'm curious, I have solar, but prefer to be plugged in to electrical outlet because I'm running my fantastic fans and keep a dehumidifier running (since I live near the coast). How often should I be switching to "store mode"?
If you have factory solar, you can keep the switch in "store mode" the entire time you are on shore power (whether in storage or in use.) The shore power will let you run everything you want in the trailer (AC & DC) and since the solar is not disconnected from the batteries when in store mode (yeah, go figure, right?) it will keep the batteries topped off at all times. Simply switch to "use mode" when you are not plugged into shore power and want to use the trailer.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:45 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I have never fried any batteries, they usually last 6 years, I do check the electrolyte level every couple of months, and add distilled water if needed, a maintence is all they need.
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:14 AM   #20

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
When we are not traveling in Lucy, she is stored in the alley behind our house. We leave her plugged into 30 amp during storage. We have been doing this for the last ten years. We leave the refrigerator on, and run minimal climate control. We have not experienced any ill effect from doing this.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote