Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2007, 06:32 AM   #1
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
electrical expert needed

Thank you for reading this thread... I am a newbie to the forum and Airstreaming. I just bought a 62 Overlander and plan to restore her. She was used as a shore camp for many years and is in real nice shape, though somewhat tired in some areas after 44 years of use. The trailer is wired and labled through out for 12 volt and 110, but there is no batteries or anything that looks like a converter. The closet thing to a converter is a small transformer in the cabinet above the stove... it lookes like something that would power a door bell. What I am looking for is someone in the Baltimore area, that knows something(or a lot) about 12 volt to help me figure the system out. I have wires that go nowhere and some that go somewhere, but I don't know where, and you get the idea... So if anyone lives in the Baltimore area and would like to take a look, email me... I'll buy you a beer and a burger. Thank you for any help...
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:55 AM   #2
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I'm not in the Baltimore area nor do I classify myself as an expert but I DO know that pictures would most definately help us provide some distance assistance with your problems. Welcome to the forums Frank. Post some pix and you'll have plenty of help.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Hi,

Step one is the battery box still in place on the front and the battery cables? If it is the first thing I'd do is install a battery.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 02:44 PM   #4
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I just posted some photos at http://www2.snapfish.com/thumbnailsh...4/t_=101036844
There will be more to come. For some reason I can't seem to upload photos to this forum site.
There is no battery case... just power cord into a fuse box and that is it.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
62'

You need some serious re-working of your 12VDC system if you have no battery. Check in the rear curb side for an old battery compartment. Maybe one of our Overlanders can pinpoint the location.

In general, you will need a battery(ies), a power converter, a 12VDC fuse panel, and a way to connect the converter to both the 120VAC input and the 12VDC fuse panel and battery(ies).

There should be some remnants of this system present, and it would help a great deal and simplify your task greatly if those could be located.

Let us know what you find
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:38 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Newtown Square , Pennsylvania
Hi Frank,
Your battery box is located under the front window on the exteror between the propane tanks and the front wall of the trailer. You can see it in the first photo. It is longer and thinner than a traditional battery. If you open the box - the battery may be in there or not. If this was used as a beach house with 110 connected all the time, they may not have needed a battery. Get a measurement of the interior of the box and I'll see if it is the same as my 62 Bambi. If so, I have the correct battery size from Interstate.
Airforums# 7906, WBCCI #4248, WDCU
dudebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 04:03 AM   #7
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Dudebb, You have solved one of many questions... That box up front is where the batteries go? It is so narrow... and even worse the bottom is totally rotted away... pictures do make things look better than they are. I have three wires coming through the skin into that box, a green, a red and a black. They have some sort of plug on the end of them. I will follow them and see where they go, maybe They will lead me to a converter somewhere. To be honest I hope not to find one so that I can just start fresh. My goal for this trailer is to make it the ultimate boondocking unit so a modern electrical system is very important in reaching that goal.
Dudbb, what does "soon" after WDCU mean? Are you a member of that unit or soon to become a member? I joined on Saturday when I finally purchased an "Airstream product". Look forward to meeting you at the next rally.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:22 AM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Your 62 has no converter, so you don't have to look for one. IIRC the battery size is a 3EE, and the small transformer you found is to power the kitchen vent fan. There should also be one to power the compressor for the air-pressure-powered water pump, and furnace fan, and the roof vents.
Depending on what you are planning to do with the trailer, now may be the time to mount an enclosed battery box on the tongue, behind the propane tanks. You can then "lose" the rotted-out box that's there, and have room for a standard deep-cycle battery. Also, two of the wirse going into the box are for power, the other is (or should be) a ground.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:59 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Newtown Square , Pennsylvania
Hi Frank,
The "soon" after WBCCI, WDCU and VAC means that I have not yet joined any of them but will do so in the near future. Now that you reminded me, I'll do it this weekend. Thanks! And good luck with the renovations/fix ups.
Airforums# 7906, WBCCI #4248, WDCU
dudebb is offline   Reply With Quote