Old 11-19-2008, 07:44 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Bozeman , Montana
Electric perplexity: Opinions solicited, pump,disconnect switch, fluor light sympto

Sometimes I feel like General Halftrack, when he says "Now what?"

I am having an electrical problem, and need some opinions.
This is on a 2007 Safari FB SE.

A year ago, I replaced the batteries and converter,.... two Lifeline AGM's, and a WFCO three stage converter from The batteries last a long time when boondocking. We did a month-long trip with no problems.

Last week I put a new pump in, a ShurFlow Extreme 4.0 on warrantee. (Takes 9 amp, not 6). The earlier pump had malfunctioned.

And left on a three week trip. Temps 50 deg day, 24 at night.

Everything worked fine for the first day and night.

However, now some odd symptoms are showing up.

* Two nights ago (on DC, boondocking) the wife wanted her hair curlers heated, so I plugged in the inverter. The inverter is rated at 175 w. The curlers were 80 w. The inverter ran my computer charger fine last month (90 w). The indicator light is supposed to be blue (indicating proper operation). This time, the indicator light went red after plugging in the curlers, indicating low battery (in the manual, less than 10 v), and the inverter did not work. After a while, the light alternated blue/red, and still
did not function. The pump was not on at the time. We turned all the lights off, but no change. At this time, I checked the battery voltage on my solar panel. It was early morning, there was little sun, and the voltage read 12.5. The battery indicator on the Airstream panel was green. The furnace worked fine, as did all the lights.

So I thought, maybe a bad inverter.

* Yesterday (on the road, on DC) I did a road stop and turned on the pump switch. After using the restroom,I noticed no water pressure. Even though the battery disconnect was on (and the red light was on), I also noticed, no lights!

After switching the disconnect off and on, the pump came on, as did the lights.

I thought, maybe a bad switch.

* Last night ( on AC power) the front fluorescent light flickered once.

I thought, maybe a bad light.

Later, my wife said the pump was not on. I checked the switch, and it was on. The pump, however, did not go on when a faucet was opened. I opened the pump cabinet, wiggled the wires (though they were all tight),
and the pump came on a minute later, and ran fine the rest of the night. I checked the voltage (at night), and it was 13.8, the proper converter voltage on shore power.

I thought, maybe bad pump wiring.

But I think I am wrong on all these thoughts.

Old adage: Once, its chance, twice, its coincidence, but three times, its enemy action.

It seems like a more central condition.

What do you think? And thank you!

WBCCI 1489 AIR 20708
2015 Chevy 3/4 ton 4 x 4 gas; 2007 Safari FB SE
"Its better to light just one candle than to curse the darkness,
Unless you're blinded by the light..."
hshovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 08:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master
1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Electrical Problem

There is an old Electronic Techs axiom:
"Show me where you have been and I wil show you where the problem is."
Recheck every thing you touched replacing the converter and batteries.
If there is a battery disconnect switch make sure that the batttery cables are tight on the switch AND make sure that the switch DOES NOT GET HOT when boon docking. You should be able to tell hot with your fingeers.
Let us knw what you find.

Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 08:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I agree with beginner, but the last thing you did was the pump. Check that first.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote