Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2008, 10:53 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Exclamation Don't let this happen to you!

Last night I was listening to the most recent installment of the VAP, the subject is electrical systems. I got to thinking, since my rig is almost always plugged in to shore power, I should go check to see if my battery fluid levels are OK.

The battery itself was fine, but I discovered to my horror that the positive terminal of the battery had been arcing to ground and most of the clamp had melted away! There was pools of melted metal (from the clamp) all over the inside of the battery compartment. My fix will be to install rubber terminal covers and find a better way of securing the battery so it doesn't shift in the battery box when we hit bumps.

Since many of New Jersey's roads are in worse shape than those in most third world nations, this should be interesting...

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 01:00 PM   #2
Desert Fox

1985 31' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Thumbs up Hi Bob,

You just not pay enought taxes in N.J. They need more for the roads. Someone told you that your taxes in N.J. are highest in the nation. Pay more so welfare bunch do not have to work.
Regards Russell in sunny and Tucson Az.
Just kidding.
RUSSELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 01:23 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Bob, I noticed that terminal was dangerously close to the top of the compartment when I had the trailer. I had a group 34 battery in the compartment (it's not as tall as the group 24 that it came with), but I'm not sure what wound up in it by the time you got it. There are several options, depending on what you want to do.
Group 74 (side terminal, full-size battery), you can change the terminal ends, and the positive terminals are available with covers to keep you from suffering the 3 mile island effect.
Group 34 (top post, full width battery, about an inch shorter height than the 24)
Group 24M (top threaded post), you can put a vinyl cap on the positive post. 24M is what should be in it, it is a deep cycle battery. They make a 24M marine starting battery, but it's designed to start a boat engine, not run a bunch of stuff.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Bob, I noticed that terminal was dangerously close to the top of the compartment when I had the trailer. I had a group 34 battery in the compartment (it's not as tall as the group 24 that it came with), but I'm not sure what wound up in it by the time you got it. There are several options, depending on what you want to do.
Group 74 (side terminal, full-size battery), you can change the terminal ends, and the positive terminals are available with covers to keep you from suffering the 3 mile island effect.
Group 34 (top post, full width battery, about an inch shorter height than the 24)
Group 24M (top threaded post), you can put a vinyl cap on the positive post. 24M is what should be in it, it is a deep cycle battery. They make a 24M marine starting battery, but it's designed to start a boat engine, not run a bunch of stuff.
When I picked up the trailer from Richard, there was a dead group 24 in it. We replaced it with another Deep Cycle group 24. I just put new insulated boots on the connectors, that should do it (I hope).

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 03:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i found that the marine batteries with the posts in the center of the battery do not match the cutouts in the top of the opening. i had to use a thick sheet of plastic from some packaging, to make an insulator to get them out.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 03:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Bob
Super Glad U caught that one,might have been a disaster. Although we are grounded at the moment.(new axles coming) I have had "Miss Kitty" plugged into shore power since I brought her home last fall.(new purchase) I did install new group 27 batteries because the PO did not keep them charged and they froze and busted.(Not realizing they were broke cost me 1 pair of pants.)
I now check fluid levels once a month as a routine maintaince thing.
Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote