Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2009, 06:45 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
1969 21' Globetrotter
1953 25' Cruiser
Front Royal , Virginia
Do I need a Battery?

OK, I am in count down mode to our first test trip and trying to get everything ready. I had planned on using my trolling motor deep cell battery and I went to set it up today when I realized it was too big for the 79 Argosy's box. I of course come to the forums to see what is the best battery to buy and they seem to be the AGM's and with that comes a big price. I know what the boss is going to ask since I did not have this in my original budget request and that is "WHY DO WE NEED A BATTERY?"

I have spent a lot of money in the last month getting ready and I mean a lot. So lets get my ducks in a row. I know that our first few trips will all have electricity of some sort. The first trip is CBR and only has 5 amps and the rest will be full hook ups. I don't think that we will be boon-docking any time soon.

Will I ruin something if I don't get one right now? I just put in a 70amp intellipower with charge wizard.

I plan on getting one but would like to wait a month or so. But if I am going to break/ burn out something I would rather spend the money now.

Thanks for your input.

Nick
nick6930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick6930 View Post
OK, I am in count down mode to our first test trip and trying to get everything ready. I had planned on using my trolling motor deep cell battery and I went to set it up today when I realized it was too big for the 79 Argosy's box. I of course come to the forums to see what is the best battery to buy and they seem to be the AGM's and with that comes a big price. I know what the boss is going to ask since I did not have this in my original budget request and that is "WHY DO WE NEED A BATTERY?"

I have spent a lot of money in the last month getting ready and I mean a lot. So lets get my ducks in a row. I know that our first few trips will all have electricity of some sort. The first trip is CBR and only has 5 amps and the rest will be full hook ups. I don't think that we will be boon-docking any time soon.

Will I ruin something if I don't get one right now? I just put in a 70amp intellipower with charge wizard.

I plan on getting one but would like to wait a month or so. But if I am going to break/ burn out something I would rather spend the money now.

Thanks for your input.

Nick

It is not a good idea to run your trailer without a battery. The Intellipower is made to charge a battery. Yes, you can run your DC system from the charger but it will not be able to regulate the load as well as if had a battery.
The question "will I ruin something", maybe. Best to operate a proper configuration than to take a chance.
Also, you won't have any DC unless you are on shore power.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:59 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
You need a battery in there. Without going into great depth, it's better to have one. You can get an inexpensive WalMart deep cycle group 24 battery for now, and when it fails in a couple of years, you can upgrade to the AGM.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Nick,
I asked basically the same question last year and received the same answers as above. And again as posted above I do not think you have to break the bank on an AGM batteries, especially if most of your outings will provide shore power. But you need to have batteries to keep the charger and your 12V systems happy. If you get into boon docking then you can get into the science of volt and amp management, solar panels, generators, and AGM batteries. By then the Mrs. will be used to you spending time and money on the Argosy.

PS - Have fun at CBR
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
If this is just a shake down trip, borrow a regular automotive battery from a vehicle that your'e not taking along. This will help the intellipower with power regulation. This way you won't have to buy a battery right away. It will give you time to find the right one & maybe wait for a sale. Boondocking is out of the question with a regular battery. If you go where 110 volts are available there should be no problems with low 12 volt power draw. It may not work if using a power inverter to bring 12 v DC to 110 v AC.

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:28 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
1969 21' Globetrotter
1953 25' Cruiser
Front Royal , Virginia
Thanks everyone for the info. Someone PM'ed me about something else that I did not know/ think about. That the break away will not work without a battery. I guess I have to go out and get a breakaway now since my Argosy does not have one of those or working brakes. Minor details....10 days and counting.

Thanks for the emergency budget request info.

Nick
nick6930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Necessity is the mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Dog Nite View Post
Boondocking is out of the question with a regular battery
Oh I don't know about that. At least for a day or 2 candles could be quite romantic. Also a portable catalytic heater. Time to pull out the ol Boy Scout Fieldbook.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:36 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Oh I don't know about that. At least for a day or 2 candles could be quite romantic. Also a portable catalytic heater. Time to pull out the ol Boy Scout Fieldbook.
Hey Lumatic, My Boy Scout Fieldbook never covered candles and romance. If yours did, I would like to see a copy of it. Maybe that topic was covered in the Scoutmaster's Handbook.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:23 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
If you don't have a breakaway switch or brakes, you may be running illegally in some states. There also is a question about your safety and liability. Sorry to steal the thread. jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:19 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
The brakes run off the tow vehicles battery, not the trailer battery. The breakaway switch does apply the brakes using the TV's battery. But, I would not want to tow a 27 footer without brakes.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:49 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
The brakes run off the tow vehicles battery, not the trailer battery.
Correct.

Quote:
The breakaway switch does apply the brakes using the TV's battery.
Incorrect.

Should the trailer breakaway, the breakaway switch applies the trailer brakes, "from the trailer battery."

That is how every trailer made is wired.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:41 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Nick
Your trailer must have working brakes in Virginia .ANY trailer over 3000 lbs and I assume that rings true with the break-away as well. Most states require trailer brakes over 3000 lbs or if the trailer is over 80% of the TV weight but every state is different.
I arrived at these figures from a state by state index of trailer brake and length and height laws by Using my GOOGLE feature.
GET BRAKES
BE SAFE OUT THERE!
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:56 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
nevermind what I say, this is what i mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Incorrect.

Should the trailer breakaway, the breakaway switch applies the trailer brakes, "from the trailer battery.
Andy
Me culpa. As Andy points out the breakaway switch gets it's power from the trailer battery.

Tags
1979, argosy, battery