Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2007, 07:22 PM   #1
70 Overlander

1970 27' Overlander
jacksonville , Florida
Do I need a battery....?

Hello,
I am working on my 70 overlander and my interior lights arent working. My plug in sockets work but not the lights. Do I have to have a battery hooked up in order for those lights to work? I changed the fuses that were blown in the univolt but still nothing. The univolt may be dead as well, but Im not sure if i should hook a battery up or not. I also put in new circuit breakers. Its plugged in to my house outlet and like I said all of the outlets in and out of the trailer work. Thanks for any help.
J.M.
jesus mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Check the output of the Univolt, buy a cheap multimeter and start at the output leads of the univolt and trace your system. If you have no 12 volt battery and the univolt is not working you do not have 12 volts. Replace the univolt it will more than likely ruin any new battery you install in a short time. BTW you should find out what blew those fuses you replaced might be what took out the univolt and you don't want that to happen again.

Good Luck
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus mike
Hello,
I am working on my 70 overlander and my interior lights arent working. My plug in sockets work but not the lights. Do I have to have a battery hooked up in order for those lights to work? I changed the fuses that were blown in the univolt but still nothing. The univolt may be dead as well, but Im not sure if i should hook a battery up or not. I also put in new circuit breakers. Its plugged in to my house outlet and like I said all of the outlets in and out of the trailer work. Thanks for any help.
J.M.
JM,

You do need a battery connected to a Univolt for it to function properly. This is not necessarily the case for a modern electronic switch-mode converter.

I would suggest you invest in one and dump the Univolt. It's time has come and gone! Both you and your batteries will appreciate the change.

Check with Randy (68 Overlander) at Best RV supply. He can guide you with your selection.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:58 PM   #4
70 Overlander

1970 27' Overlander
jacksonville , Florida
I'm planning on replacing the converter but I wanted to check all the lights to see what all was salvagable, what works, and what doesnt. Ill just hook a battery up to it to see what all works. I wont leave one hooked up or it will eventually ruin the battery, right? So I wont hear the univolt humming/working untill there is a battery that is hooked up to it?
Thanks
jesus mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
The lights are probably grounded to the body. The recepticles may each have their own ground to the univolt, in which case the recepticles will work and the lights won't. If you install a battery, and it is grounded to the body, the lights will work. Also, see if the univolt case is grounded to the body.

Jim
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote