Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2019, 04:52 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hillsborough , North Carolina
Disconnect Batteries for Desulfation

Is it required / recommended to disconnect the batteries from the trailer when using a Battery Minder due to the Voltages / High Frequency associated with the Desulfation process?
GeeSag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
No, been using a batteryminder hard wired desulfater installed in the AS for 5 or 6 years. No adverse effects.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:42 PM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Many of the multi stage converters have a Desulfation stage which happens during normal operation. No need to disconnect.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 05:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Did a search to find this thread.

I have a new to me 2018 23 FC FBQ. I'm not seeing quite what I'd like on the (I assume original) two AGM Lifeline batteries. On a sunny Florida day, out in the storage lot, just after noon, with the coach sitting for a week, the batteries were at 75% state of charge, according to the on-board display of the solar controller. Charging amperage from the solar panel ranged from 2 to 4A. I was a bit surprised they weren't near 100%, but then I thought, hey, these are going on three years now. I'm going to keep them under observation as we start to go camping, but I may be looking at replacing them.

Before I do that, though, I had heard about battery maintainers that had built in desulfation. Reading more, I wonder if the batteries I have might have become sulfated?

Is this reversible? I looked online briefly and came up with a Batteryminder charger/minder that has a desulfation mode as part of it's normal operation:

https://www.batteryminders.com/2012-...-worldwide-use

Can I just connect this unit across the 12V (parallel) of the two batteries in the battery tray? Or do I need to remove the batteries and bring them home to put them on charge to desulfate them one at a time?

I figure this might be worth a try ($100 or so) as opposed to new Lifeline 80 Ah AGMs ($445 apiece), or before I go for more Ah with 100/200/400 Ah Lithium / new charge controller / shunt etc. etc. etc. We are not huge boondockers, so if I can get a few years more use out of these Lifelines for $100, I'd vastly prefer that.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 07:55 PM   #5
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Seems like an awfully high price for 80Ah AGM batteries.

What size are you looking at?
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 05:35 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
Seems like an awfully high price for 80Ah AGM batteries.

What size are you looking at?
I will admit I didn't spend too much time looking for prices; I just wanted to get a ballpark figure on like for like (i.e. 80 Ah) replacement. Amazon for instance, is at $449:

https://www.amazon.com/Lifeline-Mari.../dp/B0029XPWFE

I appreciate the benefits of Lithium in terms of usable Ah, for sure, but I don't want to start down the slippery slope of buying new batteries, a new charge controller etc. etc. unless I have to (and if these Lifeline's are toast, I will).

Having just bought the unit, I'm not thrilled with dumping in another $k+ for batteries, if the existing batteries are simply sulfated, and I can hold off or even reverse the process for the cost ($100) of a Batteryminder. They are only three years old.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 12-20-2021, 05:56 AM   #7
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Yeah - I'm seeing AGM batteries for about 1/2 what you found on Amazon. Likely you can find them locally for the mid-$200 range.

Those batteries might be a year older than you think - no telling how long they sat on a shelf before being installed in the trailer. Depending on how much you'll be relying on them, it might be worth it to just replace them right now and be done with the worry.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 06:14 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
Yeah - I'm seeing AGM batteries for about 1/2 what you found on Amazon. Likely you can find them locally for the mid-$200 range.

Those batteries might be a year older than you think - no telling how long they sat on a shelf before being installed in the trailer. Depending on how much you'll be relying on them, it might be worth it to just replace them right now and be done with the worry.
For sure; I DIY replaced the original 80 Ah AGM in my run-about car this summer with a 92 Ah Duracell SLI49 Group 49 from my local Batteries Plus. Ran me about $199, all in, with the rebate etc.

I'll look into cheaper options. Appreciate the tips.