Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2008, 09:35 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
albuquerque , New Mexico
Diehard Platinum vs Lifeline

I bought a 67 Overlander with no battery. Since the battery mounts under one of the twins, I am probably going to limit myself to an AGM. I have looked at both the Diehard Platinum and Lifeline. The deepcycle Diehard Platinum Marine has a 3 year replacement warranty compared to the Lifeline. And this is at about 2/3 the cost. I am interested in peoples direct experience with either. Thanks
joe3957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:39 AM   #2
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Hi Joe,
Congrats on your new project, sweet rig.

While I know nothing about these two batteries, I can say that all warrantees are not created equal.

1 year old, well maintained Batteries from the O'relly chain would no longer start my 7.3 TD after sitting a week. Upon return, their expert computer tester said "OK"

I said "they won't start my truck"

The manager said "Sorry, the computer say's OK, and without a fail code I can't give you replacements" O'really!

O'relly would not do anything for me on these batteries.

3 year replacement warrantee my foot!

Bought Wal-Mart.

M
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:52 AM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I can only comment on the Lifeline AGM. I boondock with one battery and the lifeline has been great. I bought it this past summer and have gone out 6 times with it. Long lasting (3-4 days) and fast charging. It was pricey, but worth it IMO.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 12:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
My opinion of batteries - with respect to our trailers - is that the cheapest deep cycle battery available that has the desired amperage output will be just fine. Generally speaking, many of us use our trailers so irregularly that the batteries take a real beating - especially if we live where sub-zero temperatures are normal. If I get two years out of a set I think that I'm doing great! On the other hand, if you're full-timing, or doing a lot of travelling, or meticulously take care of the batteries, investing in a higher quality (i.e. - generally interpreted as "more expensive") battery may be well justified. I buy the best batteries available for my cars and trucks, since it's nothing unusual to get five years, or more, use out of them - even in Maine!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 12:05 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
albuquerque , New Mexico
warranty..usage

M- I understand the warranty means nothing if things don't work for you. I worked as a tire jockey (and battery and shocks) at a Sears 30 years ago in high school. They were always good about honoring warranty...and making things right, so I feel pretty good about that, plus pretty good network of locations. Doesn't do me much good if every time I boondock I am with dead battery. Richard, what sort of usage do you have to get 2-3 days of boondocking. I actually want to attempt to do some winter boondocking (up in the ski valley) If I could get two nights running the furnace (dry camp) I would be thrilled. I really only have space for one size 27. I generally hear great things about Lifeline, sort of disappointed in the one year replacement warranty.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:16 PM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
We are pretty conservative with our battery usage. The times we have gone 4 days was with no furnace usage. We use lights, water pump and the radio. We also have a CAT heater to take the chill off the trailer on cool mornings. When we use the furnace, we top off the battery with our EU1000 Honda.

Richard

Old 01-06-2008, 12:51 PM   #7
_

. , .
hi '3957...

coming up on 3 years with 2 lifeline agms...

many days boondocking with solar or genset to restore....

often taken down to 40% after 3 nights of winter furnace use....

zero problems with the lifelines.

when it's time,i will definitely replace with the same brand.

IF you are only gonna use one at a time, keep the other one inside the trailer where it is warm.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:56 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
albuquerque , New Mexico
thanks for input

Pretty sure I will end up with a Cat...-10 is not that unusually in the ski valley. Ultimately I will have solar and genset...just sort of starting slow. AGM Battery and Cat to get me started I think. What brand Cat do you use Richard, one of the flameless?
Old 01-06-2008, 05:09 PM   #9
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
My catalytic heater is a Therm'x 345 and was installed by a PO. By definition, I believe all catalytic heaters are flameless.

Richard

Old 01-06-2008, 07:05 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe3957
M- I understand the warranty means nothing if things don't work for you. I worked as a tire jockey (and battery and shocks) at a Sears 30 years ago in high school. They were always good about honoring warranty...and making things right, so I feel pretty good about that, plus pretty good network of locations. Doesn't do me much good if every time I boondock I am with dead battery. Richard, what sort of usage do you have to get 2-3 days of boondocking. I actually want to attempt to do some winter boondocking (up in the ski valley) If I could get two nights running the furnace (dry camp) I would be thrilled. I really only have space for one size 27. I generally hear great things about Lifeline, sort of disappointed in the one year replacement warranty.
Joe,

Lifeline has a 1 year 'replacement' warranty....but a 5 YEAR pro-rated warranty. I have seen then last 6-8 years with proper charging.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote