Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2007, 10:31 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Die-Hard Platinum vs. Optima

Hi Guys,

I'm getting ready for my new trailer, and I'm gonna have the 2 factory batteries removed and replaced with AGM batteries.

I plan to have up to 4 group 31 AGMs installed. (under bed or somewhere in the coach). Some folks tell me to go with Optima Blue top Group 31s... I've done some looking around and I found Sears' new Die-Hard Platinum that looks promising. The Die-Hard price is same, if not better depending where you get the Optimas, but the warranty and the performance seems to be better. There is a bit more weight with the Die-Hard (75 vs 60)

The Sears have a 3 year warranty, as compared to Optima's 18 month...I figure as another plus is if I have any issues on the road, replacing the Die-Hards will be easier than the Optimas.

The Die Hard Platinums seem to be be sealed non-spillable, approved by the DOT for shipping as well.

Sears / EnerSys Press Relese:

News Release

Sears Die-Hard Platinum Group 31 info: (may need to click link twice)

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&pid=02850131000&cat= Batteries+%26+Chargers&subcat=Marine+Batteries&ver tical=AUTO&ihtoken=1#

Optima Blue top Group 31 info:

http://www.optimabatteries.com/publi...31M_082104.pdf

What do you guys think?
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 10:45 AM   #2
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Sounds like you plan to boondock extensively, right? Otherwise why would you need so many batteries?

Enjoy your life away from the grid!

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:17 AM   #3
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi_Bandit
Die-Hard Platinum vs. Optima
What do you guys think?
hi bandit

neither.

i'd opt for lifeline agms....

look here or google 'lifeline battery'

Lifeline Marine Batteries - AGM Marine Battery & AGM RV Battery

we've got many threads on battery options...

IF sticking to just 2 i'd opt for 12v agms from lifeline.

IF adding 2 more inside the coach again 12v agm lifelines.

IF going to the expense of relocating a battery bank and installing a big inverter

consider 4x6 volt set ups.

and don't forget a 3 stage charger IF you are gonna do significant battery upgrades.

are you adding solar too?

and WHAT NEW TRAILER?

come on spill the beans!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 02:08 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi_Bandit
I'm getting ready for my new trailer, and I'm gonna have the 2 factory batteries removed and replaced with AGM batteries.
Hi, after reading the forums I ended up going with a Lifeline AGM and have been very happy with it.

That said, if you get the solar option from Airstream it comes with an upgrade to Lifeline AGMs - I don't know if it would make sense for you to pursue it.

enjoy,
leo
ljmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 05:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Check Northern Arizona Wind & Sun - Solar electric reference and photovoltaics information and similar solar places for their battery information. The Lifeline seems to be very popular but there are others.

While the AGM's are very rugged and use charge voltages very similar to wet cells, they don't usually like equalization or over charging. Make sure your charging and maintaining system meet the battery specifications. Don't make assumptions here.

The need for a proper battery compartment is also somewhat conflicted. 'Code' seems to not care about AGM or wet cell and says you need a vented compartment segregated from the living area. Adding batteries to a trailer is hard enough so many folks use AGM batteries in a convenient interior spot and don't worry about the code. Just be very careful not to overcharge and be aware of a potential, even if very small, risk.

On the 6v vs 12v thing Joe brought up, I'd suggest not worrying about that. Get the best bang for the buck deep cycle batteries you can find that will fit the space you have available. Check the ratings for energy capacity, life cycles versus cost as these are the main tradeoffs that define a manufacturer's battery line.

See the post on Batteries at Zephyrs for a good summary from Barthbill and a bunch of links that might be of interest.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 06:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Original Univolt and Battery Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
and don't forget a 3 stage charger IF you are gonna do significant battery upgrades.
I'm not ready to get rid of the original Univolt in my 71 quite yet. It still works fine. What will it handle? A 2nd deep cycle? Some 6volts in series? Or should I just stick to a single battery until I'm ready to change the charger also?
Old 06-25-2007, 06:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall
the original Univolt in my 71 quite yet. It still works fine. What will it handle?
It is designed as a 12v power supply and not a battery charger. It will 'handle' any 12v battery or battery bank including several 12v in parallel or 6v in series.

But the converter is not a battery charger and not a battery maintainer.

The old converters provided a limited bulk mode charging. Their voltage is set so that they aren't too high for temporary float service. That is to avoid boiling off the battery acid too fast. The voltage limitation means that it takes a long long time to get a battery fully charged.

And they don't do a thing to maintain batteries when in storage.

Getting a good battery charger and maintainer, such as the IntelliPower with Charge Wizard or equivalent, is the first thing that should be done before any battery bank upgrading. That will provide a faster return on investment by better battery life and improved capability than anything else.

If using AGM batteries, you will have to get the special ChargeWizard designed for that battery.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I don't see where the DieHard is listed as a deepcycle battery. It does have a CCA listing which makes me suspect it is a dual purpose or auto battery, neither of which you should buy. I'm not sold on the Optima blue top batteries either. I'd go with flooded batteries like the Trojan or if looking at an AGM spring for the Lifeline batteries. Trojan also makes AGM batteries but I haven't looked at them. I think that Exide has recently advertised a new AGM battery also.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote