Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2009, 08:44 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
city , N/A
Send a message via AIM to cooney Send a message via Yahoo to cooney
Defunct Converter?

Greetings:

We seem to have a converter problem in our 2008 Airstream Safari. The converter is a Parallax series 7300 model 7355.

Since we also have solar, we have a charge controller with a readout, and I noticed that the battery charge was showing various numbers under 100% while we were plugged in to 110vac shore power. Normally, when on shore power, the battery charge stays at 100%. Also, I was not hearing the cycling of the cooling fan in the converter, which normally I will hear at irregular but occasional times.

So apparently the 12 volt system is being run off the batteries, in spite of being plugged into 110. The batteries test proper voltage, and the 12 volt systems work plugged in or not; and while plugged in the 110 outlets and the refrigerator are working normally. Also, we have a Surge Guard surge protector which in addition to surge protection cuts off current above 132volts or below 98volts.

So I have to assume that the conversion of 110V to 12V is not occuring. All of the breakers are working, and the two 30 amp blade fuses seem to be intact. Does this mean that the converter is broken, and needs to be replaced, or are there any repairs possible.

The Airstream is still under warranty, until June 2009.

Any information or help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely, Jeffrey Cooney
cooney is offline   Reply With Quote