Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-03-2007, 03:16 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
 
DUNSKI's Avatar
 
1961 16' Bambi
Santa Ana , California
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 13
Images: 21
Unhappy dead short?

installed a battery in my 61' bambi, before hooking it up i thought i'd clean the and reattach one of the wires on the positive terminal that had come loose, in so doing, saw i had a loop of wire with a wire nut on the end and thought it must be something from the previous owner and removed it, i thightend the two wires on the positive and thightend the negitive and connected it. i whent inside and found that the exhust cieling fan worked just fine with the 12 volt battery installed. you must understand that this is the first time anything has been pluged in- in the twenty plus years i've owned this little beauty ! i also changed the end of the 110 volt cord as it had an old time v shaped negitive ground on the three prong and this was plugged in at this same time.. the problem started when i unpluged the four prong thingee and the green wire onthe positive leed started smoking, all the insulation melted instantly, i was able to dissconnect the battery cable quickly and was left with my melted wire. i guess the question is obvious and would love to know where i went wrong and maybe what do i do now... any advice would be much appreiciated. thanks, gary dunn
__________________

__________________
DUNSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 04:14 PM   #2
uwe
418
 
uwe's Avatar
 
1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Portola Hills , California
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 1963 26' Overlander
Posts: 4,764
Images: 41
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jilgar@hotma
installed a battery in my 61' bambi, before hooking it up i thought i'd clean the and reattach one of the wires on the positive terminal that had come loose, in so doing, saw i had a loop of wire with a wire nut on the end and thought it must be something from the previous owner and removed it, i thightend the two wires on the positive and thightend the negitive and connected it. i whent inside and found that the exhust cieling fan worked just fine with the 12 volt battery installed. you must understand that this is the first time anything has been pluged in- in the twenty plus years i've owned this little beauty ! i also changed the end of the 110 volt cord as it had an old time v shaped negitive ground on the three prong and this was plugged in at this same time.. the problem started when i unpluged the four prong thingee and the green wire onthe positive leed started smoking, all the insulation melted instantly, i was able to dissconnect the battery cable quickly and was left with my melted wire. i guess the question is obvious and would love to know where i went wrong and maybe what do i do now... any advice would be much appreiciated. thanks, gary dunn
Gary,

It does sound like a dead short, as you mentioned. You will have to trace that wire and find out where it is going to ground. My 63 had a very limited 12V system, mostly some lights, one fan, and one battery. No converter etc. Many of the light fixtures were 120V/12V combination fixtures.
You can put a light bulb in line between the wire and the battery and then follow the burned wire and disconnect stuff until the light goes out. Or, just rewire the 12V system as much as possible. Fortunately, it's a small trailer, should be esy to find the problem. I am located in Orange, and would be happy to help if you can drag the little jewel over here.
__________________
Uwe
www.area63productions.com
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Battery Dead - Again & Again eraffety Airstream Motorhome Forums 10 11-01-2002 11:03 PM
igniton switch and the mystery of the dead battery Curtis-79MH Airstream Motorhome Forums 3 10-25-2002 02:58 PM
dead bolt joel Doors & Locks 1 08-25-2002 08:35 PM
help dead short pk63 Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters 6 05-29-2002 08:56 AM
Easy clean dead bolt FrankR Doors & Locks 0 04-09-2002 12:32 AM





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.
Modal Click