Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2010, 03:21 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
texarkana , Texas
Dead converter, replacement help

I guess the triad converter in my 76 has finally died. Power to the plug under the sink were it plugs to 110, but not even the annoying hum that I've hated all these years. Below are pictures of mounted unit after I pulled the stove out, the fuse panel behind the sliding door, and the top of the converter after being pulled out and placed on end on floor. ( and that baby is heavy)No wiring has been disconnected at this time except for battery cables from the battery and Triad unplugged.

Looking at an Intelli-power 45amp replacement unit.

Questions:
I only have one 12 volt battery and use this AS at deer camp year round hooked to shore power. Will the 45 amp be enough?

Three cables leave the old Triad... Two black to the back of the fuse panel and one small white that I believe is a ground as it splits and one leg is grounded to AS body. Will I need new wiring from the new unit to the Fuse panel or can I use the wiring between the Old Triad and the fuse panel? Do you drill out the rivets on the Triad to unmount wiring from inside?

Which brings up the question..can I still use the current fuse panel?

Thanks in advance for any and all answers or comments.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1377.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	331.2 KB
ID:	110880   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1372.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	318.2 KB
ID:	110881  

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1379.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	338.9 KB
ID:	110882  
Gbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:51 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I would keep the shunt.

When you replace the Univolt, your new converter won't have one, and if you use the tank sensors, you'll need it. I not sure, but there might be something else that requires it too.