Old 07-21-2013, 05:25 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Good to here. I went with the same, and it has been working well.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:50 PM   #16
Jeff

2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverflames View Post
Good to here. I went with the same, and it has been working well.
great! It works really slick and I am much more at ease with the electrical system now.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:04 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Issaquah , Washington
Wood screws in the converter. That would explain it. I just pulled a piece of aluminum left by a hole saw out of my furnace fan. Glad to hear the new stuff solved the problem. I have a new Powermax converter to install.
Back from the Yukon already?

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:10 PM   #18
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkinglet View Post
If anyone cares, this issue was resolved with a 4-stage, 45amp Progressive Dynamics charger ("Our patented Charge WizardŽ 4-stage system constantly monitors RV batteries and automatically adjusts your converter output voltage". in place of the charger unit in the 7300 series Parallax that went belly up. A little pricey but worth it. Works like a charm. Added a pair of Optima (AGM) Blue Top Deep cycle batteries to the equation. Boondocking here I come. Add a recently serviced Honda EU2000i and it all works. Mechanic found a pair of large wood screws from nowhere (one welded to the element) that were left rattling around in the parallax charger area and shorted it out (toast).
I'm sorry it had to happen that way, but you are much better off with the new converter. It will probably pay for itself in extended battery life.

I upgraded to the same converter you did. It has done a great job for me.

I did not have an incident with the old one, but I am on my third travel trailer. I learned my lesson a couple trailers ago. I replaced the parallax the first month I had the Airstream.

Ken
Old 07-21-2013, 06:14 PM   #19
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveswenson View Post
Wood screws in the converter. That would explain it. I just pulled a piece of aluminum left by a hole saw out of my furnace fan. Glad to hear the new stuff solved the problem. I have a new Powermax converter to install.
You guys are looking at this all wrong. That is Airstream's way of supplying you with a stock of spare parts.

Ken

P.S. They hide them so you can get the thrill of the treasure hunt.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #20
Jeff

2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveswenson View Post
Yo Dave, congrats on the new converter. Sorry about the hole saw piece in the furance. We came back early to the sun. Weather went in the tank after we camped at Iskut just south of Dease Lake and about 100 miles south of the Yudon. 43 degrees and steady rain. 5-day forecast further north was grim. $6 a gallon for gas on average contributed to our early return. Last Sunday afternoon we were one of three vehicles crossing the border at Osooyos. We spent a few days in the heat on the Columbia to dry out. A couple of years ago there would have been a two hour backup at the border. Canadian-plated cars lined up for miles to get back into Canada with full tanks of "cheap" American gas.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:19 PM   #21
Jeff

2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
You guys are looking at this all wrong. That is Airstream's way of supplying you with a stock of spare parts.

Ken

P.S. They hide them so you can get the thrill of the treasure hunt.
Ken, I just threw them in the toolbox with the ones I accumulated from the Casita I owned previously.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #22
Jeff

2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
I'm sorry it had to happen that way, but you are much better off with the new converter. It will probably pay for itself in extended battery life.

I upgraded to the same converter you did. It has done a great job for me.

I did not have an incident with the old one, but I am on my third travel trailer. I learned my lesson a couple trailers ago. I replaced the parallax the first month I had the Airstream.

Ken
I got the same advice earlier about parallax and yes, the batteries won't take nearly the abuse. Glad you have had success with it. Love success stories. I'm now on a fresh water tank plumbing journey that may or may not be resolved in a couple of weeks.