Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2007, 03:41 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1992 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Salem , Oregon
dead battery question

I recently replaced the old converter on our 77 sovereign with a wfco brand converter and also added a second battery to the system. But now after a few weeks, I have a dead battery. It is the newest of the two batteries. I think I read that it is not good to combine batteries of varying ages.. is this true and could this be why my newest battery is completey dead?
thanks for any words of wisdom on this matter.
Wayne
wayne.yl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 03:49 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne.yl
I recently replaced the old converter on our 77 sovereign with a wfco brand converter and also added a second battery to the system. But now after a few weeks, I have a dead battery. It is the newest of the two batteries. I think I read that it is not good to combine batteries of varying ages.. is this true and could this be why my newest battery is completey dead?
thanks for any words of wisdom on this matter.
Wayne
It is true you shouldn't mix batteries of different ages, but I think it is more likely the new converter isn't working, or isn't hooked up correctly.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
If you do not have a good digital multimeter, buy one. Check that the voltages are right, and that the circuit diagram matches what was on the converter. Also check that the 110 is reaching the converter.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Wayne,
A simple voltmeter will tell you if the charger is working. It should read 13.7 or close to that at the converter output lugs. The manual says 13.6 but there is a little more built-in for voltage drop to the batteries.
Like Terry said, if the batteries are significantly different in age, size, type or health, the good battery might well have cannibalized the older one. This does not always happen but often does.
If you got it from us, give us a call if your not sure how to check it. Ah hell, give us a call anyway, I'll help you with it.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Do I understand one battery is dead and one is not? How are the batteries hooked up? If they are hooked up in parallel both would be dead.
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
I'm confident his charger is working but anything is possible. Since my 76 31 foot Sovereign only had one battery compartment, I'm interested to know if the 77 model had two and if not, how the second battery was connected in parallel. Cable size, length of run, blown fuse near the battery, etc.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Overlander
I'm confident his charger is working but anything is possible. Since my 76 31 foot Sovereign only had one battery compartment, I'm interested to know if the 77 model had two ......
The '78 Excella had two batteries - and two compartments - One compartment on the curbside forward, and another compartment (a mirrored twin) on the driverside forward. These models had the converter/fuse panel in the forward center position behind the gaucho, so it was a short easy hookup to either battery.

There is a separate 50 amp glass fuse already in the buss to facilitate the hook-up of the second battery.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:40 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
I know the Excellas do and my 81 does as well but didn't think the Sovs. did. Could be wrong.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:48 PM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Overlander
I know the Excellas do and my 81 does as well but didn't think the Sovs. did. Could be wrong.
2nd battery was an option starting in 76 or 77, my 77 service manual shows it as an option.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:04 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1992 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Salem , Oregon
found the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87MH
The '78 Excella had two batteries - and two compartments - One compartment on the curbside forward, and another compartment (a mirrored twin) on the driverside forward. These models had the converter/fuse panel in the forward center position behind the gaucho, so it was a short easy hookup to either battery.

There is a separate 50 amp glass fuse already in the buss to facilitate the hook-up of the second battery.
Dennis is correct in that the fuse panel on our 77 sov is already setup for another battery. I dont know If I would have added a second had this not been the case. Anyway, I found out after checking for an open circuit on the panel, I had one between the 50 amp neg fuse connecter on the first battery to the other 50 amp fuse connector on the panel. I noticed the clip was a little loose and when I pulled the fuse it arched a little. I pulled the clips of the panel and cleaned them and retightened them back to the panel but I am thinking by the looks of the panel this problem is not going away, short of buying another panel. I s this a correct assumption?
BTW Randy I did get the new unit from you and it is working fine. Putting out 13.7 volts right now!
Thanks again for the quick responses and if You think I need to look for a new panel.... feel free to suggest...I have an income tax check burning a hole in my pocket right now.
Wayne
wayne.yl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:56 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
I can't tell you if you need a new panel but glad you found the problem and also nice to know there are at least some older Sovereigns out there configured for dual batteries, I honestly had no idea and envisioned some fabricated box somewhere with rinky dink wiring that was going to make my head hurt.
Now about that tax check, hmmm, let's see...Naw really Wayne, if it you think you have it fixed, wait and see what happens.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:28 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Wink

Where do you suppose Uncle Sam borrowed the money to give you a refund?
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote