Old 09-18-2011, 10:32 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
Dead Battery?

I'm a newbie to Airstreaming and a newbie to RV-ing in general. We've had our 2012 20ft. Flying Cloud a little over 2 months now and are loving it! Unfortunately, we only have one more weekend before our little sweetie has to hunker down for the Winter.

Over Labor Day weekend, we took her out for a 3 day trip. When we got back, I didn't plug the trailer in but I did turn everything off: all lights and the refrigerator (fan included). Nothing was on that I knew of. I went out a couple days ago to open some windows to air her out and found nothing would turn on--the lights, the monitor panel, nothing. I am having a very hard time believing our battery would die after only 2 weeks of not being plugged in, especially with nothing drawing power that I can think of. Any ideas???

RedDogBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master
2005 19' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
An age old problem on this forum. Quick answer is you may have left something on; or the propane detector and other phantom loads that cannot be shut off drained the batteries.

The easiest solution is to install a Perko marine battery isolator switch. Search this site for those key words to see photos and installation instructions. This will allow you to completely disconnect the batteries when your Airstream is in storage, and they should last several months without discharging, in this condition.

More info in posts below. Note: Second post is for photo and description only. I don't know if this is the best price.

However, having just noticed that you are in Alaska, you may want to take your batteries indoors for the winter. I'd worry about a discharged battery freezing in your neck of the woods. Also, it will make it easier to put them on a charger overnight once a month or so. That way you'll know they are ready to go next spring.

Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:30 AM   #3

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
"I am having a very hard time believing our battery would die after only 2 weeks of not being plugged in, especially with nothing drawing power that I can think of. Any ideas???"

It would not be unusual for a single battery to be drawn down in two weeks. Especially if not fully charged after being used for three day's.

Even if the cut-out switch was engaged there is enough parasitic draw to cause the problem.

Second the notion of battery removal for winter storage.

POI...our Interstates were burned out at delivery, (dealer kept them plugged in 24/7 without monitoring there condition). Might want to load test the battery, check for shorted cell.

AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master
2005 19' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
If you have two batteries like our 19-foot Bambi, they are wired in parallel. If one is bad, it will draw down the other one. If the batteries seem to be bad, only one of them may actually have failed. However, the other one probably isn't too far behind. Our OEM batteries didn't last very long.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote