Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2015, 09:00 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Full-time traveling , Hmmmm. what day of the week is it?
Dead batteries? I can't figure out why

We just picked up our 2001 30' Excella on July 6th and drove it cross country from Mississippi to California.

Each evening, while plugged into AC power, we had no electrical problems, and during the day, stopped at gas stations, rest areas, etc, the batteries provided ample power to run the lights and water pump.

When we arrived in California, we put it on storage mode via the cut off switch. That should have stopped everything except the propane gas monitor.

Four days later, the batteries are dead. Totally.

I took them out, they are Interstates, and did a hydrometer test. With a total of 12 cells between the two batteries, 3 cells were dry, 2 were half charged, and the rest totally dead.

I have taken the batteries home and am now trying to charge them, but am concerned either my charging system is malfunctioning, the 3 dry cells were my problem, or the batteries are just in need of replacing.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Jim Beaubeaux
JBBeaubeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Did you get new batteries? If not you need too. Also consider upgrading your power converter to a modern multistage unit. Your new batteries will thank you for it.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master

If you don't know the history of the batts…..

And they aren't holding a charge….replace them.

You might be able to fill them with distilled water, desulfinate, charge them.
and get some more use out of them.

The test is to charge them up fully ( around 13.2 volts ) then turn them off. Let them sit for two days. If they are still good they will rest out at 12.6 to 12.8
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:38 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
After 17 hours of charging

I have had one of the batteries on 6 amp charger for 18 hours.

Four cells show full charge and 2 show zero

I think I have batteries that I need to replace
Old 07-19-2015, 09:51 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
What do you mean by dry? If the electrolyte gets below the top of the plates the battery dies very quickly. Can work fine one day and will be dead the next, adding water won't fix them at this point, they will be dead and may seem to charge on a battery charger, but once you try to get any power out of them they will usually die in seconds.
Get new batteries and keep an eye on fluid levels. Even though the battery may say maintenance free, they aren't if you want them to last. Check fluids at least monthly until you get a feel for them. DISTILLED water only, clean the areas around caps before removing them to keep dirt out of the battery.
May also want to consider upgrading converter to a 3 stage if it hasn't been done yet. The old converters will cook a battery.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:55 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Don't forget to replace your single stage Paralax Battery frier like AWCHIEF advises or you will be replacing your new batteries within 2 years. A plug and play 3 stage converter is available at bestconverter.com for about $250.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:00 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Conroe , Texas
possibility

In the past, I have left my TV antenna booster on after a trip. That will drain them faster than you might think if nothing else is on.
wrhnco68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:07 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBBeaubeaux View Post
I took them out, they are Interstates, and did a hydrometer test. With a total of 12 cells between the two batteries, 3 cells were dry, 2 were half charged, and the rest totally dead.
I think the answer to your question can be found in the part of your original post that I have quoted above. To expect batteries that have gotten to this state to work is unrealistic. Get new batteries (and a three stage charger) and then you should be good to go. I would consider getting AGM's rather than the maintenance-heavy wet cells. They cost a bit more, but work better and don't need to be topped up. AGM's are the closest thing to a "set it and forget it" battery you will find.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:42 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
Was this a purchase through an RV dealer? If so, you may have a fraud case against the dealer, although the damages may not be enough to bother.
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:05 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
I should have checked the water level before my trip. My fault.

Neither battery will hold a charge at all, even after 20 hours charging, so I am going to buy new batteries (and check to make sure I either have a 3 stage converter or that I get one)

There are a few AGM batteries out there, so does anyone have any suggestions for brands?
Old 07-19-2015, 06:49 PM   #11
Rivet Master

I have the Optima AGMs, about $200 each????

I had to get AGMs because I only had vented space for one. I have two, this time I am going for three. Two in one bank, one in another bank as backup reserve. They are really cool looking, not that it matters. You would want the Blue Top. They have an extra set of posts that are threaded.

Mine lasted seven years. Do your homework and get the right charger for them. I would call Optima and ask a tech what kind of charger they like, as far as amps and charging voltages.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:21 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
I had to get AGMs because I only had vented space for one. I have two, this time I am going for three. Two in one bank, one in another bank as backup reserve. They are really cool looking, not that it matters. You would want the Blue Top. They have an extra set of posts that are threaded.

Mine lasted seven years. Do your homework and get the right charger for them. I would call Optima and ask a tech what kind of charger they like, as far as amps and charging voltages.
Problem with Optimas is their energy density. The Blue top that has the same footprint as a standard group 24 battery only has a 55 amp/hour capacity, while a group 24 Lifeline has 80 amp/hours.

If you consider the capacity available from a 3 battery bank; Optimas will have a total of 165 amp/hours....of which 82.5 amp/hours is usable. A pair (2) of Lifeline GPL-24T AGM batteries will have a total of 160 amp/hours of which 80 amp/hours is usable.

You can place a pair of GPL-27T Lifelines in the same external battery box that Airstream places on the tongue and get a 200 amp/hour total of which 100 amp/hours is usable.

Sorry, but Optimas are no bargain.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:27 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
After putting in a new converter my next project is to enlarge the battery box and install a pair of 6 volt AGMs. I have a local source where I can get Trojans at wholesale.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 08:46 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
After putting in a new converter my next project is to enlarge the battery box and install a pair of 6 volt AGMs. I have a local source where I can get Trojans at wholesale.
The best liquid lead acid battery available! Their AGMs are OK too, but you can't argue with special pricing!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote