Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2007, 08:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Chelsea , Michigan
DC quit working in my new 64 Globetrotter

Just got my new 64 Globetrotter home today... plugged in and switched the black box toggles to "city power" and VOILA - lights worked, fan worked, etc... for about 5 minutes. Then they quit. Waited a couple minutes, tried again, heard a hum, fan turned a couple turns and then heard a click and it's all off again. There is NO battery installed... is that the issue? Just curious if maybe the inverter does its job until it gets hot and then shuts itself off or something like that? Is it working way too hard when there's no battery installed? Will it be all better when I get a battery and install it? From all I've read, this GT is a great find, and I'm very pleased with it, even though I'm sure it will test my patience!
GlobeTrottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 08:08 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Welcome to the forums. You should have a battery in your coach for several reasons, but in this case, it will level off the surge of power needed when running "everything". The Univolt sounds like it's on its last legs, and it is overheating and shutting down.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:14 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Chelsea , Michigan
Thanks...kind of makes sense. The car won't start with a charger and no battery either... some electro ampero draw current load mumbo jumbo I vaguely remember from high school science class or something. The PO says he usually just used a battery with a trickle charger on it and everything was fine.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
One of the "must have" tools for a vintage trailer is a volt-ohm meter. Even a cheapo will be a big help in tracking down the inevitable wiring glitches you'll encounter.
Don't worry they are usually just things like bad grounds, loose terminals and corroded connectors. All easily fixed.
Check over where the battery should be. Look for loose, blown or missing fuses. If you've got a voltmeter, check voltage. It can be anywhere from 12 to 18 volts. This is where the battery comes in as a type of regulator. Univolt could have poor connections. Check the wires going to it.
You may have aluminum wiring. (can't remember the years right now.) Mine does. Do the A/C outlets work? Plenty of things to annoy you on that circuit.
Good luck, just a few ideas off the top of my head. Keep us posted.

Tom.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:34 PM   #5
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
THe uni-volt needs a battery to operate correctly. Is a Univolt still installed. If so consider replacing it.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
If your '64 GT is like ours...the "inverter" is really just a simple transformer and not a true Univolt, unless it has been replaced by the PO with a more current system.

Ours works just fine without a battery...sounds like the circuit breaker in the trailer are popping.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 07:06 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Chelsea , Michigan
Well, I haven't tried dropping a battery in there yet. It doesn't look like it's been upgraded or updated. So I don't know if adding a battery will solve the problem. It's pretty weird that it worked then stopped working after a few minutes, then started working again. I'm sure I'll get to the bottom of it. Here are some photos...
080807_4024 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Old 08-29-2007, 08:24 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Great Pics

Welcome to the world of the 64's. Don't you just love those real Oak cabinets. Looks like you found a real gem. Be sure to keep the "drag bars" on the axle. They will be a trailer saver if you ever have a sudden flat or lose a tire.
The '64 Power Supply with city/battery switch was "new" for this year. It was in somewhat of a transition period from the battery to a 12 volt from 120 volt supply. This "convertor" supplies different voltage from our standard of today 12 volt, if I remember correctly.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 11:06 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobeTrottin
Well, I haven't tried dropping a battery in there yet. It doesn't look like it's been upgraded or updated. So I don't know if adding a battery will solve the problem. It's pretty weird that it worked then stopped working after a few minutes, then started working again. I'm sure I'll get to the bottom of it. Here are some photos...
080807_4024 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
There are 12 volt circuit breakers in the 64 "univolt" system.

But, it is not a univolt in the true sense.

The 1964 so called univolt, is nothing more than a transformer that only works off of city power.

It has two output voltages.

One is 12 volts AC, which is for the lights.

The other is 18 to 19 volts AC, wich is for the ceiling fans, and the original International Oil burner LPG furnace, which by the way, likes to explode.

DON'T USE THAT FURNACE.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 07:26 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Newtown Square , Pennsylvania
Hi Andy, Does the 62 Bambi have the exploding International Oil burner?? Inquiring minds want to know! Now back to the thread.

Hi GlobeTrottin,
Nice 64. It sure looks like a winner. I'm sure you'll get to the bottom of the electrical issues. I'd get a battery hooked up first to see if the problems still continue. Good Luck!
Airforums# 7906, WBCCI #4248, WDCU
dudebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 08:32 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudebb
Hi Andy, Does the 62 Bambi have the exploding International Oil burner?? Inquiring minds want to know! Now back to the thread.

Hi GlobeTrottin,
Nice 64. It sure looks like a winner. I'm sure you'll get to the bottom of the electrical issues. I'd get a battery hooked up first to see if the problems still continue. Good Luck!
Not sure.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 08:06 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Chelsea , Michigan
Thanks for the note on the furnace, Andy. It's been replaced with a Suburban in the last couple years. Also has a new water pump and new water heater with electronic ignition. I just gotta get a battery in there to see if it'll work.
All the lights work when I'm plugged into "city power" but the fan seems to draw too much juice. I bet it will be fine when I get a battery in there. Probably just waiting until next season unfortunately... gotta get a new axle, wheels and tires soon too. Local place here says two hours labor at $60 plus maybe 250 for a Dexter; sounds like a good way to go.
Bob