Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2009, 02:23 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
maricopa , Arizona
Cut power cord dilemna?

just purchased a '71 27' overlander. The 30a power cord male plug was cut away from the cord. Took the stripped end and fed it into a plugged extension which rand into a socket that only supplied 15amps. However i made sure the AC was turned off. The battery was removed from the trailer. Managed to get the all electric fridge to work but no intirior lights?? reattached the battery and the intirior light come on with no cord attachment? Do I have to have a 30Amp socket to plug into just to get the interior light on. Do i have to have a function battery attached to trailer to have interior lights. Like i said NEWBIE
neokans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:36 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
newbie here.

Greetings neokans!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Overlander ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neokans View Post
just purchased a '71 27' overlander. The 30a power cord male plug was cut away from the cord. Took the stripped end and fed it into a plugged extension which rand into a socket that only supplied 15amps.
There is usually a reason behind the removal of the plug from an RV cord, and my suggestion would be to examine the 120-Volt AC system. My suspicion is that there is likely a ground or neutral problem in the wiring that may be allowing the coach's skin to become electrically charged when connected to shore power. When the problem is located and corrected, the 30-AMP RV plug is available through most RV dealerships -- or a new power cord could be installed depending upon the condition of the existing cable.

Quote:
However i made sure the AC was turned off. The battery was removed from the trailer. Managed to get the all electric fridge to work but no intirior lights??
This can be anticipated since all of the interior lights are 12-Volt DC. From this information, it would appear that the Univolt (power converter -- 120-Volt AC to 12-Volt DC) is either missing/inoperable, unplugged, or one or more critical fuses/circuit breakers are tripped.

Quote:
reattached the battery and the intirior light come on with no cord attachment?
Shore power is not required for the interior lights to funtion as well as the vent fans, water pump, range vent fan, and furnace blower -- all of these devices are 12-Volt DC and operate off of the Univolt when shore power is available or the onboard battery if shore power is not available -- they may also draw power from your tow vehicle if the charge line is properly connected to the tow vehicle's electric system.

Quote:
Do I have to have a 30Amp socket to plug into just to get the interior light on. Do i have to have a function battery attached to trailer to have interior lights. Like i said NEWBIE
The only features on your coach that require shore power are those that require 120-Volt AC to operate. The AC only items would include the air conditioner, electric side of water heater (if so equipped), Univolt power converter, and household type electrical outlets.

Good luck with finding your electrical gremlins!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:39 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
maricopa , Arizona
Thanks plenty. Have some starting ground now.
neokans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Welcome to the forum,seems someone here will always have the right answer.Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote