Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2018, 08:51 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Grateful, that looks good. How much weight did this add to your tongue weight?
Thanks
Old 12-18-2018, 06:25 AM   #62
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful26 View Post
I should have mentioned that I next plan on adding a battery monitor but I have spent a ton at this point, so that can wait.
Look into http://www.bogartengineering.com/pro...rimetrics.html -
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 08:50 AM   #63
1 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
St. Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutboy View Post
Grateful, that looks good. How much weight did this add to your tongue weight?
Thanks
I didn’t weigh it all out, but the box is pretty light. Half-inch plywood and aluminum sheets fro Home Depot.
The weight is in the heavy batteries.
But to me that wasn’t an issue. I had to choose whether to have the batteries or not and I know my truck can handle the weight.

Guessing: two lead acid replacing the Interstate plus the box = 120ish
Grateful26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 07:08 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Ok, I have to thank y’all on this forum—and especially to Dan, who made a junction cable for my series and mailed it to me—for not only what I’ve learned so far about batteries but for helping me to realize how much more I need to learn. Which is exciting.
I finished my new battery box for our 16’ Sport and installed two GC2’s from Sam’s, in series. All is working great.

I started by building a base for my new box on top of the metal “bed” the OEM battery sat on, which I found very inadequate. I used U-bolts so I can easily take everything off to use on a new AS at some point.

Then I built a box large enough to ultimately fit 4 six volt batteries, if I decide to go that direction. And there would still be some room left.
I tried to make it match the AS as much as I could.
Again, thanks to Dan for the cable.
You’ll se that cable and my build in the attached pictures. IF....I can get them uploaded. If not, I guess this post makes no sense.. ��
So, here they are. ???

M
———————
Geeeesh; what the heck are you building there, Pilgrim?? Why the extra weight and hassle? Have you considered just getting a couple Li batteries and be done with it?? less maintenance, weight, and hassle for sure...or course, that's jus my thinking of course.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 07:49 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Geeeesh; what the heck are you building there, Pilgrim?? Why the extra weight and hassle? Have you considered just getting a couple Li batteries and be done with it?? less maintenance, weight, and hassle for sure...or course, that's jus my thinking of course.

What Grateful has built makes perfect sense to me. He probably has limited storage and has a low tongue weight, so he can add weight here and he is not causing a problem. This gives him the option of either two or four golf cart batteries plus some space for other stuff.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 08:06 PM   #66
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
What Grateful has built makes perfect sense to me. He probably has limited storage and has a low tongue weight, so he can add weight here and he is not causing a problem. This gives him the option of either two or four golf cart batteries plus some space for other stuff.

Dan
I'm digging his build too. I was thinking/questioning the wooden frame at first and wondered why wood because of the elements? Then I realized treated should last years like a porch or anything else exposed and easy and cheap to replace if needed later. Good job Grateful!
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 08:27 AM   #67
Wolfwhistle

Margaritaville , Banana Republic
Quote:
I should have mentioned that I next plan on adding a battery monitor but I have spent a ton at this point, so that can wait.
I did buy a 100 watt portable Renogy solar panel.
I also plan to epoxy the box, but I’m out of time, thus the plastic.
Leaving for Texas/Arizona on Wednesday.
Comment from the “Been there - done that” guy. Have you tried a full lock forward turn to check if it hits the TV bumper? I didn’t see any venting, but I’m on a smartphone. No comment on adding 400#+ to the tongue ;-)
Clint
Fair_Enough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 08:33 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Quote:
I wonder if you (or anyone) could help me with the cables.
I have my new box built and bought the two GC2’s at Sam’s.
Is there a site or link somewhere where I can get the short cables to run them in series? Thanks.
M

https://www.amazon.com/Spartan-Power...jumper+12+inch
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:36 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:

Dan
I guess... Just seems like a big storage box, (which is good if you need more storage). ( I do see he has a 16', so storage locker is nice.) But for the batteries, why consider multiple 6V's (beyond 2??) thinking of the weight/hassle. Seems 1 or 2 Lithium's would work just as well?? Enlighten me to the advantages of this set up for more than 2 6V's vs the Li route? By the way, I just added 2-6V Trojans 5 months ago to replace my 12V Interstates, so I am a fan of the 6V GC batteries.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 12-19-2018, 10:37 AM   #70
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
I guess... Just seems like a big storage box, (which is good if you need more storage). ( I do see he has a 16', so storage locker is nice.) But for the batteries, why consider multiple 6V's (beyond 2??) thinking of the weight/hassle. Seems 1 or 2 Lithium's would work just as well?? Enlighten me to the advantages of this set up for more than 2 6V's vs the Li route? By the way, I just added 2-6V Trojans 5 months ago to replace my 12V Interstates, so I am a fan of the 6V GC batteries.
^
X2
Why go back to the last century to pick your power mode?
250lb of lead acid seems like a lot to add to the tongue of a 16' AS.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 12-19-2018, 11:50 AM   #71
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:

gypsydad

I suspect the reason he didn’t buy lithium’s is the same reason you didn’t buy lithium’s. Also the extra weight of 4 batteries on the tongue may not be a problem for him.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 06:56 AM   #72
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
gypsydad

I suspect the reason he didn’t buy lithium’s is the same reason you didn’t buy lithium’s. Also the extra weight of 4 batteries on the tongue may not be a problem for him.

Dan
Hi

..... there are a number of us who *did* buy lithiums ....lots less space taken up.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 07:42 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Thanks! I was asking about the weight as I have a 23D and the tongue weight is already high. I went with lithium. I have a friend with a 22 sport that doesn’t want lithium but is looking for an alternative and this seemed like a good plan. Seems if tongue weight is not an issue this is a great way to go.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:12 AM   #74
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutboy View Post
Thanks! I was asking about the weight as I have a 23D and the tongue weight is already high. I went with lithium. I have a friend with a 22 sport that doesn’t want lithium but is looking for an alternative and this seemed like a good plan. Seems if tongue weight is not an issue this is a great way to go.
Remember; tongue weight adds to payload...lead acid batteries weigh a bunch- 60-80 lbs or more each typically...
Old 12-21-2018, 08:19 AM   #75
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

A roughly 30 pound lithium will give you 100AH of usable capacity. The same 100AH of usable capacity with typical lead acid's will be up around 150 pounds. If you have to add structure to support the batteries, that would add to the total weight impact.

If you head up to the 400AH usable capacity level (as some of us have done). A lead acid setup would add about 480 pounds more to the rig than lithiums (just for the batteries with no mounting). Some of that goes onto the trailer axles. Some goes onto the TV axles. Either way, it's about 500 pounds of "stuff" that you don't get to bring along when loaded to the max.

Is that a big deal? It's very much dependent on your rig and how you camp. Do you travel with 60 gallons of water in your tanks? That's about the same weight impact on the total rig.

Bob
Old 12-21-2018, 09:48 AM   #76
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

A roughly 30 pound lithium will give you 100AH of usable capacity. The same 100AH of usable capacity with typical lead acid's will be up around 150 pounds. If you have to add structure to support the batteries, that would add to the total weight impact.

If you head up to the 400AH usable capacity level (as some of us have done). A lead acid setup would add about 480 pounds more to the rig than lithiums (just for the batteries with no mounting). Some of that goes onto the trailer axles. Some goes onto the TV axles. Either way, it's about 500 pounds of "stuff" that you don't get to bring along when loaded to the max.

Is that a big deal? It's very much dependent on your rig and how you camp. Do you travel with 60 gallons of water in your tanks? That's about the same weight impact on the total rig.

Bob
Thanks UB; I know my two new Trojan T-125's 6V weigh around 70lbs each; my Interstate OEM's were about 45lbs each. So we added 50lbs to our payload/tongue weight.

Fortunately the new Trojans fit fine into the battery compartment without modification. If I ever upgrade again, after reading about the Li and seeing the price's come down, I will likely go that route simply for the weight and performance advantage. Cost is biggest concern, but I think the benefits of the Li over Lead Acid in the long run make sense if you use your trailer a lot and boondock, like we do.
Old 12-22-2018, 07:09 AM   #77
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

My stock AGM's were closer to 70 pounds than to 40. Their weight was one of the big reasons that I went with lithium's. Pulling them out each winter (yes, that's a debatable thing) simply was not anything I was going to be doing .... First time I got the AGM's out my shoulder ached for months....

Bob
Old 12-22-2018, 06:03 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

My stock AGM's were closer to 70 pounds than to 40. Their weight was one of the big reasons that I went with lithium's. Pulling them out each winter (yes, that's a debatable thing) simply was not anything I was going to be doing .... First time I got the AGM's out my shoulder ached for months....

Bob
Understand...I did have to remove the 6V's once after I first installed them in order to file down the terminals so the cables would fit...didn't expect that, but all is well know.
Old 12-24-2018, 10:28 AM   #79
1 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
St. Louis , Missouri
All Good

Early update is that my new box and 6v system works great.

As I mentioned before, the extra weight on the tongue is a non-issue.
It is nice having a little extra room for little things too, like a tiny fake Christmas tree and other essential stuff.

Someone asked about turning. Plenty of room.

Lithium: maybe some day and it would be ideal. But I can’t afford that right now and savings “in the long run” do nothing for the present affordability. End of story on that.

Renogy 100w suitcase panel works great. I will probably need an extension for the cable; 10 feet is inadequate.

So for me, this was an easy and relatively inexpensive first upgrade and is built to easily remove and use on a different AS. We bought the 16’ knowing we’d probably go bigger in a few years.

Gotta thank y’all again for the advice and options to research.

Marcos
Grateful26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 05:03 AM   #80
Wolfwhistle

Margaritaville , Banana Republic
Quote:
Early update is that my new box and 6v system works great.

As I mentioned before, the extra weight on the tongue is a non-issue.
It is nice having a little extra room for little things too, like a tiny fake Christmas tree and other essential stuff.

Someone asked about turning. Plenty of room.

Lithium: maybe some day and it would be ideal. But I can’t afford that right now and savings “in the long run” do nothing for the present affordability. End of story on that.

Renogy 100w suitcase panel works great. I will probably need an extension for the cable; 10 feet is inadequate.

So for me, this was an easy and relatively inexpensive first upgrade and is built to easily remove and use on a different AS. We bought the 16’ knowing we’d probably go bigger in a few years.

Gotta thank y’all again for the advice and options to research.

Marcos
Nice followup Marcos. Merry Christmas to you and to all Airstreamers