Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-12-2012, 09:28 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member
 
1992 25' Excella
Grants Pass , Oregon
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 111
Images: 3
Converter upgrade suggestions? ('92 25' Excella)

The original 50-amp converter in our 1992, 25' Excella is very loud. I'd like to replace it with a quiet, high-quality unit. Any suggestions about the units available or the installation process would be greatly appreciated.
__________________

Doug C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:36 AM   #2
retired USA/USAF

 
2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,364
I did it 2x now on two different trailers. First was the IOTA 55w, 3stage. I was pleased with it got it and the advice from Best Convertors. Second was a different one also from Best Convertors. I'm happy with that one also, just a different one. Google them or find them here on this forum somewhere. They will steer you right. Not too expensive and an easy DIY job.
__________________

__________________
Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:56 AM   #3
Rivet Master
 
Alumaholic's Avatar

 
2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,892
Images: 36
Iota DLS-55

I have purchased and installed converters on three Airstreams.
The Iota DLS-55 is the best one yet.
Quiet, efficient, easy to install; it has a very smart charger that operates equally well with shore power and generator power.
Hope this helps.
__________________
Ken L
2019 Flying Cloud 27FB
2018 GMC Yukon Denali XL
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:19 AM   #4
Rivet Master
 
Skatiero's Avatar
 
1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,341
Images: 25
Love our quiet, reliable intellipower! We have an 89 excella.
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:05 AM   #5
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar
 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10,315
Images: 5
I have the Iota DLS 55 w/IQ4 and am very pleased after 2 years. Best Converter.com gives great advice. Call and talk to Randy, he may have new updated product info.
__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:10 AM   #6
Rivet Master
 
Alumaholic's Avatar

 
2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,892
Images: 36
These Are Good Too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatiero View Post
Love our quiet, reliable intellipower! We have an 89 excella.
I have installed and used these in two Airstreams. They are good too.

Back to the Iota DLS-55, dzf0g is correct to mention "with IQ-4."
The IQ-4 provides the smarter charging. I don't know if they can be purchased without IQ-4, but it would be a serious oversight.
__________________
Ken L
2019 Flying Cloud 27FB
2018 GMC Yukon Denali XL
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:16 AM   #7
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar
 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10,315
Images: 5
They are available with IQ4 internal.....OR a base DLS-55 w/o IQ4 and an external IQ4 module can be added....SOOOOOOO you need to be aware that you do want IQ4, IMO.
__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:51 AM   #8
Rivet Master
 
switz's Avatar

 
2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5,426
Images: 8
Why would a user not select one of the larger models made by Iota? Bigger units could charge batteries quicker?
__________________
WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:00 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member
 
2003 25' Safari
Riverside , California
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Why would a user not select one of the larger models made by Iota? Bigger units could charge batteries quicker?
If using the origional wiring a larger convertor could put out more than the wiring can safely handle
Bob4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:06 PM   #10
Rivet Master
 
1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Why would a user not select one of the larger models made by Iota? Bigger units could charge batteries quicker?
Batteries can only accept a certain charge rate and even though a converter/charger has a larger amp rating, the battery (s) may not be able to use it, and in fact there will be any advantage from a larger converter/charger. BTW, even the charge a battery can take will taper off rapidly as it charges.

I find a 45 to 60 amp converter/charger works well for most AS products.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:09 AM   #11
Rivet Master
 
switz's Avatar

 
2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5,426
Images: 8
Talked with folks at bestconverter.com today and they stated they have sold very few Iota converter units over the last two years. They are supporting the Power Max Boondocker four stage units with 3 year warranty. They also recommended surge protection on the system.

They said their unit is plug and play with the OEM unit, and the model most appropriate would be the 60 amp model that replaced the 55 amp model.

Anyone have experience with this brand and model?
__________________
WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:19 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
sandlapper's Avatar
 
1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,751
Images: 7
I need to replace mine also, the hum has gotten steadily louder.
__________________
John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:37 PM   #13
Rivet Master
 
switz's Avatar

 
2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5,426
Images: 8
Ended up ordering the Ultra III upgrade kit from Best Converter for the OEM Parallax 7355 converter to make it a triple stage charger and all DC circuits will be filtered and have clean power. Once installed into the original enclosure, the original look of the enclosure will be the same.

I also ordered the Trimetric current flow measuring device and the portable 30 Amp surge protractor.
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:02 PM   #14
Rivet Master
 
daveswenson's Avatar
 
2012 28' International
Issaquah , Washington
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Ended up ordering the Ultra III upgrade kit from Best Converter for the OEM Parallax 7355 converter to make it a triple stage charger and all DC circuits will be filtered and have clean power. Once installed into the original enclosure, the original look of the enclosure will be the same.

I also ordered the Trimetric current flow measuring device and the portable 30 Amp surge protractor.
I'm probably going to go with the Boondocker. Randy said it would only require some minor mods to make it fit in the 7355 enclosure.

I'd like to do the Trimetric monitor as well. Where do you plan to mount it?

Dave
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:49 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member
 
dkrukosky's Avatar
 
1975 27' Overlander
Landenberg , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveswenson View Post
I'm probably going to go with the Boondocker. Randy said it would only require some minor mods to make it fit in the 7355 enclosure.

I'd like to do the Trimetric monitor as well. Where do you plan to mount it?

Dave
Did you go with the Boondocker I am trying to decide what converter to get for my trailer. so I would love to know how you made out?
dkrukosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:09 AM   #16
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,880
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
I did it 2x now on two different trailers. First was the IOTA 55w, 3stage. I was pleased with it got it and the advice from Best Convertors. Second was a different one also from Best Convertors. I'm happy with that one also, just a different one. Google them or find them here on this forum somewhere. They will steer you right. Not too expensive and an easy DIY job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumaholic View Post
I have purchased and installed converters on three Airstreams.
The Iota DLS-55 is the best one yet.
Quiet, efficient, easy to install; it has a very smart charger that operates equally well with shore power and generator power.
Hope this helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I have the Iota DLS 55 w/IQ4 and am very pleased after 2 years. Best Converter.com gives great advice. Call and talk to Randy, he may have new updated product info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumaholic View Post
I have installed and used these in two Airstreams. They are good too.

Back to the Iota DLS-55, dzf0g is correct to mention "with IQ-4."
The IQ-4 provides the smarter charging. I don't know if they can be purchased without IQ-4, but it would be a serious oversight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
They are available with IQ4 internal.....OR a base DLS-55 w/o IQ4 and an external IQ4 module can be added....SOOOOOOO you need to be aware that you do want IQ4, IMO.

Can only speak to what I have experience with...

P-lax...battery burner.

Xantrex replacement, failed out-of-the-box.

IOTA 55a DLS IQ4 has been an excellant choice for us.

Bob
__________________
"We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know."
W. H. Auden


"The hardest thing about Airstreaming, clearing your head and accepting how others feel itís supposed to be done"Ö..
Amanamus


"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:21 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member
 
tkowalyk's Avatar
 
2013 27' FB Classic
North Wales , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 406
Images: 11
I need a new convertor - replying to subscribe to this thread.
__________________
Tom & Lori

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2016 Nissan XD Turbo Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:48 AM   #18
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkowalyk View Post
I need a new convertor - replying to subscribe to this thread.
You don't have to reply to subscribe to a thread. If you're reading a thread you want to subscribe to, just look for the "Thread Tools" pull-down menu right above the topmost post, and select "Subscribe to Thread."
__________________
Cats and ultraleather Airstream upholstery don't mix!
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #19
Rivet Master
 
daveswenson's Avatar
 
2012 28' International
Issaquah , Washington
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrukosky View Post
Did you go with the Boondocker I am trying to decide what converter to get for my trailer. so I would love to know how you made out?
I did get the Boondocker. This one.
55 Amp 4-Stage Main Board Replacement

The install wasn't too tough although I got to install it twice. I took the old Parallax out by removing the screws securing the box and pulling it out. Used 3M double side tape to secure the new unit to the floor. No big deal, right? But when I went to install the door on the front and crack a beer I found that the door is secured to the enclosure that I had removed with the P-lax converter. So I got to take the Boondocker back out. Then I had to get the P-lax converter out of it's enclosure box by drilling out the welds and using a little brute force, destroying the old converter. Then I remounted the new unit in the box and reinstalled. Now I have expertise I hope I never have to use again.

I checked charge voltages and they were right where I wanted them. I haven't had the trailer out yet to really check it out, but I'm pretty confident that Randy at BestConverter.com didn't steer me wrong.
__________________
Dave

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:45 PM   #20
cwf
Rivet Master
 
cwf's Avatar
 
1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6,256
Images: 2
Here..



Click image for larger version

Name:	image-564794864.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	304.0 KB
ID:	192242

Be careful about tools,,,,close proximity to rivets on Converter can make impressive sparks
__________________

__________________
Peace and Blessings..
Channing
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Converter for 1988 Excella crios Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters 7 10-14-2011 07:32 PM
Digital to Analog Converter... suggestions idmtman 2006 Safari SE 4 04-06-2011 10:01 PM
CB Radio issues & upgrade - suggestions? ddgall Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes 5 02-12-2011 08:42 PM
Upgrade converter? Breadbug Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters 5 01-15-2011 02:08 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×