Old 11-12-2007, 07:18 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Roblin , MB.
Converter Swap

Hello,

Could someone give advice as to whether a Parallax 7300 Series Converter 55 AMP from a later model A/S would install and work in a '74 Sovereign?

Thanks,

Bob

Old 11-12-2007, 07:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
absolutely no problem. The new converters all put out well regulated 12 Volts (really more like 13.4, which is what the battery likes, unless you're in a short anti-sulfate mode, when the voltage is around 14.4). It doesn't matter what the current capability is, as long as it's enough to carry your load. A converter with more current capability doesn't try to stuff it into the battery.

The only problem I've encountered is that the old Univolts had a fuse panel, so I've had to buy a fuse block when I put the new converter in. In some cases you could detach the Univolt fuse panel and remount it (carefully and with the proper enclosure to prevent inadvertent shorts, like from the wrench that's bouncing around in the vicinity of the panel). A modern fuse block for those square automotive fuses is going to run $30+.

Zep

Zeppelinium is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 11:58 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2004 19' International CCD
haines city , Florida
talk to Randy at bestconverter.com and he will take care u. he is all so on the forum.

the other half of the healthchic, Bill
Old 11-16-2007, 11:07 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Boise , Idaho
Bob,
I don't think you want to do that, but it can be done. The 7300 is a power center. It has an integrated AC/DC distribution panel on the top and a converter section on the bottom. This would require routing all of your AC and DC wires to this new unit. What I would recommend is a deck mount stand alone converter/charger to replace the Univolt. If your Univolt has the DC fuse panel integrated on the end of it, you can split the case and salvage that fuse board, or purchase a new board. The only advantage of a new board is a cleaner install and the ability to use modern blade style auto fuses.
Which ever route you decide, I'm not a fan of the 7300 anyway because it does not have multi-stage charging. The only Parallax unit I would consider is the 4455TC Paramode. It is a deck mount with temperature compensation and very popular. Others to consider are the Xantrex, Inteli-power and WFCO.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 11:36 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Roblin , MB.
Converter Swap

Thanks Randy

As we are first time owners (October 2007) of an '74 Sovereign A/S it probably will take awhile to digest the information you have provided and check out further information in the links you have posted.

We've just started into the deep freeze weather of Manitoba so we do have approximately 6 months before the converter problem needs to be corrected!!

It is just so reassuring to know that there are so many forum members who are so willing to get us first timers up and running. No doubt some of us would make costly mistakes if it wasn't for all the kind advice.

Thanks to all,

Bob