Old 05-06-2009, 05:41 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
1974 Argosy 26
Youngsville , North Carolina
Converter Replacement

Hi everyone! Just getting into electrical on our "new" 78 31' soverign international. PO had taken out univolt and repllaced it with ?? looks home made ala heathkit. He spared no expense with wire nuts and electrical tape. Must have blown his budget becuse there is no cover or identifing labels. Want to put in an Inteli-Power but am clueless as to what size? Need your guidence. Thanks.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:44 PM   #2
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
I recently installed a 9245 in my Trade Wind. The 45 amp version should work well for your trailer also. You will need to keep the 12 volt distribution panel or what ever you have at this point.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:51 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
1974 Argosy 26
Thanks for the quick response. I was leaning towards a 60 or 85 watt model under the assumption more power is better
Old 05-06-2009, 06:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by heslinhotel View Post
Thanks for the quick response. I was leaning towards a 60 or 85 watt model under the assumption more power is better
Do you mean watts or amps?

85 watts at 12 volts DC, is just 7 amps.

If you meant watts, 85 watts is far in excess of what in needed.

More power is not necessarily better.

It's like having a generator with a 10,000 watt output, but the only thing hooked up to it is a 100 watt bulb.

Huge waste.

Andy
Old 05-06-2009, 06:33 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
1974 Argosy 26
Point well taken, I guess my ignorance of electrical components is showing. I have no problem with structural, by I am lost when it comes to electrical. Thanks Andy.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Quote:
PO had taken out univolt and repllaced it with ?? looks home made ala heathkit.
Heathkit...Man does that bring back memories My dad built a TV from one of their kits way back in the day.

With some help from the shade tree electricians here on the forums you should have power in no time. www.besconverters.com is an excellent souce for electrical stuff and the the owner, Randy, frequents the forums.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Hi everyone! Just getting into electrical on our "new" 78 31' soverign international. PO had taken out univolt and repllaced it with ?? looks home made ala heathkit. He spared no expense with wire nuts and electrical tape. Must have blown his budget becuse there is no cover or identifing labels. Want to put in an Inteli-Power but am clueless as to what size? Need your guidence. Thanks.
Converter output is measured in DC volts and amps.
As a general rule, I size them according to the length of the trailer and the number of batteries you intend to charge since the load is shared between DC assessories and battery charging.
This was not always the case with the Univolt and older linear converters that had a separate charge line.
Newer switching converters like the Inteli-Power have one DC output only and they vary the voltage only depending on the amp load and state of charge of the battery bank. Amps are drawn from the converter by the DC accessories and battery. The battery is nothing more than another accessory willing to accept amps at a rate determined by its internal resistance.
So for a 31 foot Airstresm, I would consider 45-60 amps depending on a couple things.
If you always camp with hook-ups and never or rarely discharge your battery, 45 amps is all you will ever need based on the normal DC accessories, lights, water pump, furnace fan, radio in a 31 foot RV.
If you discharge your battery regular during boondocking, I would probably look at 50-55 amps.
If you have two batteries and boondock, you will reap the benifits of a 60 amp converter for faster initial boost charge when you run a generator or connect to shore power for charging.
Also consider the Iota DLS series and Xantrex as they both charge at a faster rate (higher volts in the Iota, power factor corrction and constant current in the Xantrex) but the Inteli-Power is a fine and capable unit too.
You have choices. good luck.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Point well taken, I guess my ignorance of electrical components is showing. I have no problem with structural, by I am lost when it comes to electrical. Thanks Andy.
Many folks find that when they by an Airstream or Argosy trailer, it's back to school again.

New things to tinker with, new words, new understandings, and most of all, new pleasures in life.

Welcome to Airstreaming. A whole new world of pleasures, usually.

Andy