Old 03-12-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Eugene , Oregon
converter kit

Hi all
Been lurking on the forum for over a year, learning a ton of information from everyone. This site is awesome!
My question: We bought a very lightly used 2012 28' International CCD last year and love it. On our first trip, we lost the transfer switch which the dealer replaced for free since I told them I was going to start tearing the inside apart to figure what was wrong. We put the TT in storage for the winter with the agreement that I could plug into shore power to keep the batteries charged as need be. A month ago, I noticed the batteries were low so plugged in and the next day the batteries were dead. Pulled TT to dealer and was told the converter was bad and for $475 they would replace it with the same unit. I told them that was to high and called Best converters and talked to Randy. He recommended a Mag Tek upgrade kit that would give me a 3 stage converter that would fit into the original compartment.
I've read several threads about the new converters but haven't heard of anyone using the upgrade kit. Has anyone? and what are your thoughts

Old 03-12-2013, 06:49 PM   #2
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I have never heard the term " upgrade kit" regarding convertors. I have replaced two convertors with units purchased from Randy with very good results. The first was the IOTA unit on our older trailer and more recently a different one for our newer trailer. It's an easy replacement and definately a DIY job. Go for it you'll enjoy the peace of mind it gives. Cost was in the $175 range I think.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:00 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Eugene , Oregon
I hadn't heard of them either and was asking about an IOTA when he recommended the upgrade kit. Pulled it up on their web site and there it was.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:12 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Mercer Island , Washington
They call it an upgrade, but I think it's just a whole new unit from the same manufacturer. Fits in the same spot.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:46 PM   #5
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I guess it doesn't matter what they call it. It works and is an easy replacement job. Go for it.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:46 PM   #6
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
The upgrade kit is, if I'm not mistaken, intended for certain situations where the converter is built into the breaker panel. I don't believe that your trailer is set up that way, but I could be mistaken. If your converter is in its own enclosure, you don't need the kit, just the converter.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:21 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Isn't your unit still under warranty ... get the dealer to allow you to pay the difference in upgrade fee ...
Old 03-13-2013, 12:12 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Eugene , Oregon
Jammer: our converter is located under the breaker panel with a metal cover over both units. Any other converter replacement would mean placing the unit somewhere else and running wires to the panel.
Mefly2: When we purchased our TT the dealer told us that AS factory warranties were not transferable. Being a like new unit, we decided not to purchase a warranty. After reading threads about issues with newer Airstreams, that may not have been the best decision
The "kit" appears to be a new 3 stage converter with a new breaker panel that filters power though out the entire TT on all breakers.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:52 PM   #9

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
I believe your dealer is incorrect, perhaps they were trying to push you to buying a warranty from them? (that's just my cynical nature coming out.)

I am not a lawyer. However, reading Airstream's trailer warranty I see nothing that would exclude you unless the dealer from which you purchased the trailer is not an authorized Airstream dealer. It states that the warranty only runs for 24 months from the date of delivery to the original purchaser, but does NOT state that the coverage is limited to that original purchaser.

Assuming both you and the original purchaser bought this unit from authorized Airstream dealers, I think you're covered. It may not be worthwhile to pursue with respect to the converter, because frankly I think you'll get a much better product from BestConverter than what Airstream installs, but it might be an issue to look into. If you find that you are genuinely covered, it might be an excuse to make the Jackson Center Pilgrimage before the warranty expires to address any punchlist of issues you find.

If Airstream (not your local dealer) maintains that their warranty terms exclude 2nd purchasers of an Airstream from an authorized dealer within the 24-month period defined in the document, you may have legal options if some expensive problem arises, because as I said I see no language that limits coverage to that first purchaser. If it comes to that, consider having the warranty looked over by an attorney.

Zero Gravitas ó 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto ó 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. ó Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:27 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Eugene , Oregon
Thanks for your response DKB_SATX. I will be sure to look into that. Our unit was bought from an AS dealer, the same one that sold the unit to the OP. They traded up for a 30'er after less than a year.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:48 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
I believe your dealer is incorrect, perhaps they were trying to push you to buying a warranty from them? (that's just my cynical nature coming out.)
This is incorrect. The warranties are transferable prorated up to 2 years after original delivery date with a $250 fee and an inspection from a certified dealer (I spoke with Airstream at the time we bought our used 2012). I had a similar experience with a dealer (judging by the OP's location, the same dealer). They were definitely pushing the extended warranty, offered no help to me to transfer the warranty and even though they "inspected" the unit to take it onto their lot for consignment, were going to charge us for a warranty inspection. Caveat emptor.

Let us know how the upgrade goes. It's on my list also.

Ron
Old 03-14-2013, 01:59 PM   #12
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Not to repeat everything already on here...but! I have exactly the same model trailer as you. I ordered it to my specs. Within 3 weeks, I had already replaced the converter unit -- not because there was anything wrong with mine, but because of WHAT I LEARNED ON AIRFORUM. Primarily, the stock unit that came with your Int'l is only a 2 stage unit. IF you buy the next level, you'll buy a 3 stage unit. This third stage is VERY important as it allows the battery to "float" once it's fully charged. This "float" will (in essence) prolong the life of your batteries as it keeps the plates from being sulfated. I purchased an Iota DLS-45/IQ4 from Best Converters. I installed it myself -- very easy -- it took about half an hour after I accessed it (It's under the "L" of your L shaped sofa and you have to take out about 20 philips screws to get access. At this time, I also installed an on/off switch for the subwoofer you'll find just "north" of the converter. The subwoofer is ALWAYS on and constitutes a "phantom" drain on your 12V batteries. Once you take off the plywood under the cushion you will also get acquainted with other things...like your hot water heater, (the subwoofer which I already mentioned), and -- if your trailer is equipped with this -- the inverter that will convert the 12V into 110V -- these outlets will be clearly marked with labels if you have an inverter -- and you'll have a control for it (push button) next to the panel where you check water/tank/batter levels. I've had my Int'l for 14 months now, made a number of trips with it and it has been AWESOME. Doing some of the upgrades that you'll find on AirForum materially enhances not only my enjoyment of my trailer, but more importantly -- safety things. EG, I went to 16" wheels and Michelin LT tires and a bunch of other things. Enjoy your trailer...it's a fantastic floorplan (IMHO).
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:31 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Eugene , Oregon
Haven't had the chance to update for awhile...sorry about that
Ron- i am ordering the upgrade today from best converters. Randy said it's about a 45 min. job and I'll be sure to let you know how it goes. I'm getting the 55 amp unit to replace the original Parralax 7300. $213.00
BAB- Always nice to see another happy 28 CCD owner. We also love the floor plan and the overall feel. Hopefully I'll be able to make the swap to 16" wheels and tires soon. It's only money right
Old 03-22-2013, 12:43 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
I guess it doesn't matter what they call it. It works and is an easy replacement job. Go for it.
That's my experience also. The stock Paralax is a battery eater.
Plugging the trailer in all winter with the stock Paralax is not good. Better to take the batteries out, store them in a warm place and trickle charge them from time to time.