Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2009, 11:36 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1990 32' Excella
jonesboro , Arkansas
converter kicking breaker

I put a new60 convertor in and when I put both batteries on it it popped my ground fault breaker.The batteries were allmost flat so the load was pretty high.I disconnected one battery and it worked fine on one. I pulled the other one and put it on a regular charger and then I will put it back in and try again. Has any one else had this problem?
joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 12:22 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Converters and GFI's have been an issue for several members here on the forums. The solution has been to not use GFI on the converter's circuit.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
GFI circuits are just so darn hard to deal with I wonder how we got along so long without them and never got zapped but somebody did so whatever, we are saving lives and that is good. I get it friends but they are just a pain and you can ask any EE but I understand a leak to ground is what it is so you just have to go through it and find it or change it.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:00 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Overlander View Post
I understand a leak to ground is what it is.
And a positive wire to a grounded battery is just that, at least in its simplest terms.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:04 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1990 32' Excella
jonesboro , Arkansas
breaker tripping

Thanks guy's. I found out a couple of things .The first is when yoyr batteries are real low the breaker tripping is allmost a given . Between the added load on the convertor and the nature of gfi's .I was trying to charge 2 allmost flat batteries . When I took 1 out of the trailor and put it on a regular charger the convertor did not trip the breaker on 1 battery then I put the charged battery back in and every thing worked fine. A friend of mine told me he put a cut-off switch in tha has bat#1 or bat#2 or both and off that way if you discharge both pretty low you can lessen the load by charging 1 at a time.He also suggested taking out the gfi.
joel is offline   Reply With Quote