Old 04-20-2019, 01:31 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Dadeville , Alabama
Converter fan running constantly

Tried typing this EARLY this morning but when trying to submit it didn't seem to load (new to forum so I'll try again). Pulled into new site 2 days ago plugged in to shore power and converter fan kicked on immediately. I was showing 12.2v and ~75% charge yesterday (cloudy). So, I connected a 3amp genie charger to batteries yesterday evening. This morning the fan stopped running! However in about an hour started again-still running with charger and solar panels connected to batteries (sunny beautiful day Orange Beach, Al). Checked the 10 amp solar panel fuse at batteries and ok. Unplugged charger batteries dropped from 13.2v to 12.5 currently. Sunexplorer shows 85% remaining on batt. But shows 0 solar charge amps. Usually when plugged into shore power I'm showing 100% on batteries and 13.2v. Question- are solar panels not working now with 0 solar amps showing? Are other fuses on roof for panels? Can converter not keep-up with no help from solar panels or is converter bad? Bad batteries? What should I check first and how?
Thanks
P.S. At Sugar Sands RV in Orange Beach, Al really nice park, and only 10 minute drive to beach. Smaller than some but quite and spacious sites.

Dlat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 03:45 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Saw this on an Airstream how to video.....when on shore power, the converter overrides the solar system, as does charging from your vehicle. The only time the solar charges is when not hooked up to external power and the voltage drops below 12.5 volts.

Old 04-20-2019, 05:39 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Dadeville , Alabama
Thanks, that explains some, still puzzling way converter fan running constantly.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I read it all a couple of times and not sure I understood.

But: If the system is reading 12.5 volts with the trailer connected to shore power then the converter is bad. In other words, if the fan in the converter is running and the output is 12.5 volts then the converter is bad. If it was unplugged from shore power at the time of the 12.5 volt reading then it is just discharged. I do not think the 3 amp trickle charger adds much but it might confuse the solar or the converter into not working.

How heavy a load are you running? Inverter?

The reason the converter fan is running all the time is that the converter cannot keep up with the load for some reason. I would venture that it is probably because of a bad battery. A bad cell could pull the voltage down so that the converter would run all the time. Or enough load.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
I read it all a couple of times and not sure I understood.

But: If the system is reading 12.5 volts with the trailer connected to shore power then the converter is bad. In other words, if the fan in the converter is running and the output is 12.5 volts then the converter is bad. ....

The reason the converter fan is running all the time is that the converter cannot keep up with the load for some reason. I would venture that it is probably because of a bad battery. A bad cell could pull the voltage down so that the converter would run all the time. Or enough load.
The second is more likely. I noticed my converter fan running all the time. I checked my batteries and one was hot and overflowing electrolyte. It was bad and pulling max current from the converter all the time. I replaced them both.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:23 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Dadeville , Alabama
AS is plugged into shore power and has been since arriving. I am running hardly any load only TV and couple of led lights. Fan starting running immediately when I plugged into shore power with nothing running at that time. Put the charger back on batteries about 2 hours ago and reading on battery is now 13.2v and sunexplorer reading 100% on batteries. I'm thinking converter is bad as well and maybe batteries gone too. Batteries are 12v age and came with AS in 2017!
Old 04-20-2019, 06:32 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Dadeville , Alabama
After reading Al's post, I'm thinking maybe start with replacing batteries and see if that solves problem and go from there. That was AGM batteries--spell correct.
Thanks
Old 04-21-2019, 09:19 AM   #8
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
I agree with DAIT ... looks like a battery problem with the converter struggling to maintain the charge
2013 F-150 SuperCrew FX4 Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
Married With Airstream Blog Click Here
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 12:15 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I think it is the batteries. One test you could do is to pull both battery ground cables loose. Then on shore power check the battery voltage monitor. That should give you the voltage output of the converter. if there is no output from the converter that would be additional information. Me, I would replace the batteries and then check it all out. I hear of people who's batteries last years. But my experience is that if they are severely discharged a few times they are toast. And there is no telling what the dealer did with the batteries or what they put in to start with. I envision a dealer with a fleet of dead and damaged batteries in trailers of all brands and not willing to spring for new, first quality batteries when you come pick up the trailer. I would wait until I got the new batteries in and checked the converter before I replaced the converter.

I have never bought a new Airstream. But if I did I would just buy new batteries right away. Just to know where I was starting from. Just like I did with my two old trailers. I suspect right now the solar and the additional battery charger are just a smokescreen over what is wrong.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:09 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Dadeville , Alabama
Thanks for info., been on road today and unable to respond. Will be home tomorrow and will give it try- will let you know.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:33 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Dadeville , Alabama
At home now with Airstream, pulled both ground cables from batteries and checked voltage with shore power connected and reading was 7.8 volts on positive terminals. Pulled all cables from batteries and checked voltage of each battery and each battery read 12.4 volts. Put a load tester to each battery and reading was over 12v then place a load on each battery and both read over 600 amps with load. Plugged trailer back to shore power and put a meter to + and - cables coming from trailer before connecting back to batteries and reading 7.8v. So I'm gathering now that maybe it is converter. It seems to be only putting out a little over 1/2 the voltage needed. So I am guessing that might be causing fan to run constantly. What are y'all thinking?
Thanks
Old 04-28-2019, 08:27 AM   #12
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you have 7.8V on the 12V bus with no batteries connected (and shore power engaged) then indeed the converter / charger has issues. Since you have solar, that may confuse things a bit ( = solar might pull it up to 13V even with a bad converter / charger).

All this *assumes* you aren't doing something really odd (run the inverter when on shore power) that is loading the converter past it's max output.

Bob

uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote