Old 02-14-2015, 08:25 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
Deland , Florida
Converter Confusion

O.K. so I've been reading the posts on converters and have some questions. I don't have solar yet and only go camping every couple of months, usually for a long weekend.
I have a 2007 International 28' with factory converter and dealer supplied lead acid batteries.
When my rig is parked at home I have been leaving it hooked up to shore power. The only thing I have running inside is the fantastic fan and occasionally a dehumidifier. Should I disconnect the shore power so the converter doesn't fry my batteries? I've read about folks just using a good battery charger when storing their AS.
Also, is it worth spending $1000 to install a good converter since I'm not using it a lot?
When buying a new trailer, does Airstream offer a better unit? If you add solar do they install a better option? Will they install an aftermarket unit in a new model?
I know my local dealer will install whatever I want, but I'd rather use someone that has more expertise in this area like Lew.
Has anybody used the tri metric converter? The guys on the vap.com installed it and seem to like it.
Thanks in advance for any help

Old 02-14-2015, 08:33 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Charlevoix , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by printman View Post
Should I disconnect the shore power so the converter doesn't fry my batteries?
Do you know the make and model of your converter? If it is a multi-stage converter/charger it will switch between charging modes to ensure your batteries do not get overcharged (this is called "float" charging).

Old 02-14-2015, 09:47 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Ponce Inlet , Florida
Quote:
I know my local dealer will install whatever I want, but I'd rather use someone that has more expertise in this area like Lew.
We are just up the road and have a Lew installed charger/inverter/Solar System in our 30' FC. We will be camping at Wekiwa and Salt springs in March your welcome to come have a look see it may answer many of your questions as well. Shoot me a PM if your interested.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
A good 3 stage converter/charger can be had for your trailer for about $200 plus installation if you can't do it yourself. I would recommend the Progressive Dynamics 4645 or 4655 if you have the all in one 120 volt - 12 volt - system... that is the one where the 120 volt breakers, the 12 volt fuses, and the converter/charger are in the same metal box. If you have the older system where the converter/charger is separate from the 120 volt breaker box, then you can get the Progressive Dynamics 9245 or 9255 replacement.

Airstream does not offer a 3 stage converter/charger as an option. Makes no difference if you have the solar option, you still get a one stage converter/charger.

I have a Tri Metric battery monitor which is very good. Unless it has been very recently added, I am not aware that they make a converter/charger.

You could stay with your original converter/charger, but it is not wise to leave it connected 24/7 when at home. If you want to save money, buy a Battery Tender, which is a small 3 stage charger you can get for about $40 and use that plugged in 24/7 but disconnect the original one, or don't plug the trailer in.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:00 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
O.K. so I've been reading the posts on converters and have some questions...
Also, is it worth spending $1000 to install a good converter since I'm not using it a lot?...

Has anybody used the tri metric converter? The guys on the vap.com installed it and seem to like it.

Thanks in advance for any help
For more information regarding the OEM converter and more:

See the links in my post this evening, #304 of the AirForums' thread:

Factory installed solar charging system
Old 02-15-2015, 05:14 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
Converter Confusion

One can always contact Randy at BestConverter - Converters, Inverters, Electrical Supplies, Electronics. He supplied mine for my 2015 Serenity. There is a thread showing a little about how I installed it. "Installing a 4-stage converter/charger in your new Airstream"

Ms Tommie Lauer
Greensboro, NC
2015 Serenity 30 RB / 2008 Dodge Cummins 4 X 4
WBCCI #4165 AIR #31871
AIR #31871 WBAC #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 09:12 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
Deland , Florida
My factory unit is Parallax Electronic 7300 series.

From what I've read in earlier posts, Lew recommends the Magnum brand. Is that what you have Beach Bum? I looked it up and found prices pretty high.
If I could find one that worked for $200 that would definitely be worth it.

Has anybody else had luck with the Progressive Dynamics unit?

I'll check those threads you guys sent me.
Thanks for all the help

Beach Bum- you going to alumaflamingo?
Old 02-15-2015, 09:52 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Ponce Inlet , Florida
Yes I have a magnum. But I use the charger and inverter capabilities. If your only replacing your converter it may not be worth it.

If you are going solar and plan to get an inverter as well then IMHO its worth the extra $$. A lot depends on the size of the system and type of batteries you decide to get how often and how long you want to camp with no electric .....

Like most things we get for the AS there is no perfect solution just lots of tradeoffs for the solution that fits your needs and budget the best.

Not going to alumaflamingo this year.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:22 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
Two years ago I replaced worn out batteries and, at the same time, installed a 60-amp Progressive Dynamics converter. The Progressive Dynamics converter cost $269. Two group 27 batteries cost $243. Total of $680 for converter, batteries, labor and tax. Two years of coast-to-coast travel later, I'm happy with the decision. The PD converter is really quiet and my batteries test like new.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:06 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Printman
A good multi-stage converter upgrade for the Parallax 7355 is less than $200 and its something you can do yourself or with the help of anybody with minimal electrical experience. The instructions are very straight forward. Most are using the Progressive Dynamics 4655 for the Parallax 7355 that you have.
The Trimetric 2030RV is an excellent battery monitoring system and also not difficult to install.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:12 PM   #11
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Airstream is still using one stage converters?

I have a $9,000 Coleman TT and it has a 4 stage WCO in it.

Figures; Airstream doesn't want to lose any profit

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:59 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Unfortunately it's still true that bean counters and managers make engineering decisions instead of real engineers.

We won't dwell on the folk that make marketing decisions.....

Rich, yep, I am a real engineer that makes engineering decisions.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums

2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote