Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Birmingham , Alabama
Converter/Charger Question

In working on our '85 Excella I have noticed the I have the original Triad Utrad 750-6 50 amp converter in it. Since I have it exposed due to reparing the floor due to prior leakage, I was reading a number posts about peoples suggestion on getting a new converter. I have found a new, IOTA DLS-55/IQ4 12 volt 55 amp 3 stage Auto Smart battery Charger/Power Supply for $189.00. Can anyone tell me if that is a good buy? Other manufactures wre much high for those specs. Another question I have is, as I am working on our Excella, I have the battery out and the old converter unpluged. Also I have disconnected the land power and am running an extension cord for my tools. Can I still connect to land power without the battery and converter hooked up as long as I only use the 110 outlets for my power tools? Thanks for everyones help along our way to becoming pros at this. Well, maybe just good at this.
Tartimisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:51 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
That Iota is currently on sale online for less than that with an AIRForums commercial member. I'll PM you the info, I'm not sure what the rules are about unrelated forums members posting commercial members' prices, etc.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
There is simply none better than the IOTA DLS-55/IQ4 12 volt 55 amp 3 stage Auto Smart battery Charger/Power Supply.
I installed Progessive Dynamics Intelpower converters in my three earlier Airstreams. I thought they were very good.
The IOTA exactly as you describe that I installed in Old #4 is even better. Exceeds all expectations!
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:29 PM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumaholic View Post
There is simply none better than the IOTA DLS-55/IQ4 12 volt 55 amp 3 stage Auto Smart battery Charger/Power Supply.
I installed Progessive Dynamics Intelpower converters in my three earlier Airstreams. I thought they were very good.
The IOTA exactly as you describe that I installed in Old #4 is even better. Exceeds all expectations!
I'm curious for future reference... what's better about the Iota? I've never had either converter, but I've never heard anyone complain about the performance of an Intellipower either.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
No complaints about Intellipower performance at all.
Am amazed at how much quieter the Iota is.
(The Intellipower would awaken the camper sleeping on the front lounge.)
I believe the Iota battery charger works perceptibly better, but I have no hard evidence to offer.
I guess I would describe the Iota DLS-55/IQ4 as being completely transparent to the user.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
My Intellipower 9245 makes no noise what so ever. Guess I've never loaded it up enough to even make the fan run. I can hear the fan in the 1100 watt inverter run. But only for a short time when I turn it on.
If course Location, Location, Location makes a lot of difference on these type of devices when it comes to audible noise.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote