Originally Posted by PBStrother
Is there a way to confirm the demise of the Univolt?
Well, the battery was boiling. Literally, not a figure of speech. It was overcharging that much. When I opened the compartment I could feel the heat and the fumes were terrible. I guess you want to find a way without reaching that extreme, though.
You could check to insure that the battery is fully charged by checking its voltage after disconnecting from power for a while. Then, turn the power on and check for excessively high voltage.
Realistically, in my opinion, Univolts were born not working. OK, they were good for their time, but converter technology has really improved since then. I replaced the completely functional Univolt in my 1983 Excella with a Progressive Dynamics Inteli-Power just to get the improvements. (See http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...0-a-57567.html
) These include better battery life, less chance of running the battery cells dry, quiet performance, and a clean 12 volt
DC supply for electronics. Besides, I didn't want to wake up again to the CO detector.