Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2014, 01:49 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
Los Altos , California
Clicking sound under bench - 23'

Our unit has a clicking sound [like a relay] that comes on a times and is so annoying that we cannot sleep. Our Airstream dealer thought it might the relay that connects to the main 'store switch', and so replaced that relay to the tune of $250. That has not solved the problem. I took the bench out and found the source....it is coming from a 2" x 4" box mounted on the wall underneath the bench, with leads going in labeled 'solar'. [BTW, I do have solar panels] It has several LEDs and one that is on Red continuously, except when it's clicking, in which case it flashes on and off as it clicks. What is this box? Has anyone run into this problem?
Thank you.
ASchwager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The box is probably the solar charge controller and the clicking a relay in it, most likely the one which limits the charge as the battery voltage increases, or turns it off when it is dark.

Your dealer is a dumb **** and should refund your money for the unnecessary change out of the main store switch. He thought it "might" be the relay and just replaced it? Common now....
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
My guess would have been the flux capacitor
Old 04-13-2014, 04:02 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Los Altos , California
Thanks. I removed the bench and confirmed the clicking coming from the Sunexplorer PVMCM25D controller. So could be a controller issue, or battery? Battery was tested by dealer it was OK....so probably the controller. I'll call Atkinson Electronics [controller manufacturer] tomorrow.
Again...thank you.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I believe clicking of the solar charge controller is normal operation as the controller senses and charges your batteries. Ours does, but I don't recall it clicking after dark.

We always keep the Battery Disconnect in the STORE position when plugged into external power so the batteries are isolated and cannot be charged by the converter, which has a constant charge voltage that is too high. Only the solar panels can charge the battery.

Do you leave the Battery Disconnect in the USE position when on external power? I wonder if the solar charge controller be sensing a need for recharging the batteries and charging voltage available from the converter, and therefore cycling (clicking). Just a guess. Try it with the Battery Disconnect in STORE on external power and see if it stops clicking, after dark.

Another problem may be that if the batteries are original, or worn out, they cannot hold a charge and the solar charge controller is cycling trying to keep them up. Another guess.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:00 AM   #6

2021 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Rochester Hills , Alaska
We have the same issue...

Was there a solution to this? We always use our Airstream for off the grid camping. Could we insulate around the relay switch or is there another solution?
Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:38 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Los Altos , California
Clicking Sound underneath the bench seat

I removed the seat and discovered that the clicking sound came from the Charge Controller, model number PVMC25D which manages the charging of the battery from the solar panels. I replaced it, and that solved the problem. The manufacturer of the Charge Controller is Atkinson Electronics in Murray, Utah. They were very helpful in diagnosing the problem, then sent me a new controller.