Old 10-23-2010, 07:07 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
1998 25' Safari
Orléans , Ontario
Choosing new battery

I've just finished reading all of this year's threads on battery choices thinking I could get the info I wanted without posting a new thread. Not so.

I have a 1998 25' Safari and as far as I know it has all the original equipment and no mods have been done to the electrical system.
We use our trailer during our canadian summer months (approx 4 continuous months and the odd fall trip. Every summer, we travel with it - 4-5 days in one spot then move on to the next one. We usually get camping sites with electricity but we do like to go into provincial parks or state parks where we have no power at all (I guess that's what boondocking is?). In those instances we've been able to last 2-3 days on our battery - we use power sparingly in this situation. When not in use, I take the battery out and keep it charged with a trickle charger. With that in mind our battery last 2-3 years.

Now, from what I've read, I have two choices: replacing the battery with reasonly priced deep cycle one or bying an more efficient one, say an AGM type and have it last longer. I've come to the conclusion, being a non electrical guy on any sort, that bying a cheap battery every 2-3 years is fine enought with me. The system works so why fix it.

However, I have not been checking the fluid level in the battery as often as I should and the present battery is in bad shape -sulfation! We also overdid it this summer by staying 5 days in a non-electircal site. I have no generator and have no intention of getting one. I pay to obtain a relatively quiet camp site - not to hear the neighbor's generator rattling at all hours of the day. If one needs power, one should go to a site that has power. I am contemplating solar panels but that's another story.

My question is this. When using shore power, it is recommended that I shut off the battery charger as there is 110 volts coming in, especially if we stay in one spot for a week. I have a switch on the wall that shuts off the converter. Is that what is meant by cutting the charger out?

Soory for the long preamble. Any advice will certainly help.

John Gervais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida

I would just buy a decent deep cycle battery (the largest that will physically fit in your battery compartment) Mine came from NAPA.

If you make the effort to be more attentive to the water level, the new battery should last for years.

As for shutting off the charger -- that will also deprive you of 12V house power which you need for the control boards in the frig, water heater and furnace. You could theoretically isolate the battery but it does serve as a "load" in the circuit and smooths out the power.

When your converter eventually dies (and it will), be sure to replace it with one that has variable charging rates (mine came from Progressive Dynamics and has the Charge Wizard built in). Simplifies everything...

n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I may know a guy who might have put an RV switch on the battery while leaving the converter connected while on shore power.
Click on the link to see a picture of the Sioux River falls near my home.
Eastern South Dakota is very pretty with hills, rivers, and trees.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, unless you plan on doing a lot of boondocking, changing to a three stage converter, and installing solar panels, I would buy deep cycle batteries from Costco. That is what I did and plan to replace two batteries every three years.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master
1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California

The lights, water pump, furnace, water heater (if electronic ignition) and refrigerator use or need 12V to operate. If you disconnect the converter, then after a while the battery(ies) will run down and those items will not work. At that time only the 110V outlets, air conditioner and microwave will work.

Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master
1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Being in the Battery Biz for years, I always recommend Deep Cycle Flooded Cell batteries over the AGM types...

AGM's, while 'maintenance free', cost OVER twice as much as their flooded cell cousins - BUT they don't last TWICE as long in useful life... also, flooded cell types usually have a higher Amp Hour rating giving them the edge when it comes to running your 12 volt stuff when you're off the grid (boondocking)...

You usually don't have to turn off the converter when you're hooked to shore power, as there's enough 12 volt usage to prevent the batteries from being overcharged - unless you're plugged in for extended can get a cheap digital volt meter to keep an eye on the battery circuit voltage, and if it gets too high - turn off the converter for a while...the batteries will keep any 12 volt 'boards' (refer, smoke detectors, etc) up and running... sells a neat digital voltage meter called the Voltminder that allows you to keep an eye on the 12 volt systems also has a built in alarm feature you can set to a lower voltage to warn you when your system's voltage is approaching the time to turn on the genny, or turn off the TV, etc., to conserve the remaining charge...etc., etc...

You might want to consider asking Santa for a new Converter/Charger that has 3-stage charging capabilities...this kind of replacement upgrade will recharge your batteries faster, while then switching into 'float' mode to keep your batteries fully charged without any elevated overcharge voltages that your old 'Univolt' converter/charger provides when you're plugged into AC power for extended periods...

The newer 3-stage chargers will usually extend the life of your batteries as well, helping to pay for the upgrade...

Good luck...Ray
Ray & Pat; Morada, CA
Mexray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:07 AM   #7
Rivet Master
1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I bought a voltminder from Randy at Best Converters. I really like it. Sure, it is not a fancy as a computer batter monitor, but it gives a good info on battery condition and cost about 1/10 the money.
Bruce & Rachel
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:26 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
All good advice. I had to replace our 3 year old battery because I didn't watch the water level close enough. It was GR 24 so I replaced it with a GR 27 Interstate deep cycle.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:03 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member
1998 25' Safari
Orléans , Ontario
Thanks for the advice people. Hi to the California croud. We will be taking our Airstream to your beautiful state next spring.

I wil now be moving over to the sun panel section of this forum to get some advice on portable solar panels to replenish the battery when boondocking.<<John

John Gervais is offline   Reply With Quote