Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2007, 09:14 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
This discussion and folks experiences with the Univolt now makes me wonder.

I have a 71 and the trailer was worked on in early 1990's by Airstream - new furnace etc. The converter was changed so it is not the original Univolt but I presume it is still a Univolt. The battery has been in the trailer for 15 months. I leave it plugged in and have never yet had to add water to the battery.

Was the Univolt still being used by Airstream in the early 90's - were they improved by then?
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:25 AM   #22
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Hi Bill,

Nickcrowhurst has it right. The old Uni's were good in their day, as it was all they had. A new converter with 3-stage charging (WFCO) or with added compensation for battery temperature (Parallax Temp-Assure) will not eat your batteries as they will be properly charged with the last stage being a float or 'trickle' charge that will simply keep them topped up.

That said, I would NOT leave the trailer plugged in as the old Uni WILL overcgarge the batteries every time. If you want to keep the batteries full, get a quality 3-stage charger ($50-60) and charge the batteries directly.
Thanx Lew and Nick, I bought new batteries last year and they seem to be holding up well with my current method; when I return from a trip I plug in for a day or two. Then the camper sits for a week or two with just battery power, but very little use ( a few lights when we start to prepare for our next adventure) and then I plug in again for a day or two before we leave to cool down the fridge. For the time being (untill we can get a better charging system) is this a good method of living with a uni-volt? It seems to be working...am I kidding myself?

Should a better charging system go hand-in-hand with AGM batteries? Or does that negate having to buy more expensive batteries?

Just trying to plan the budget for next year...

Bill
Old 09-24-2007, 10:41 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Bill, the Intellipower (incorporating the Charge Wizard) fits in the same space as the Univolt. They are available for under $200, from Camping World, and was it Overlander63 who had a good deal on them? Someone will let us know.
A useful thread is at:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...0-a-24510.html
Nick.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:46 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hi Nick & Bill. It's 68 Overlander -- his business link is at this personal profile page. Do more research here on the WFCO units -- they're a step above Intellipowers from what I read.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 11:07 AM   #25
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Thanx All-I'll put it on the list...

Bill