Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2011, 04:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1957 16' Bubble
Fort Collins , Colorado
Charging with TV Alternator

Hi all. Just finishing up installing my new Progressive Dynamics PD4000 and have a question about charging. So far everything is working but I don't know how to implement the black charging wire from the 7 wire umbilical.

Do I wire the black charging wire from the tv to the positive house terminal?

or do I splice the positive wire from the converter with the tv charging wire to the battery?

Either way both would go to the positive terminal, so I'm not sure it matters. Obviously an electrical newb, but things are progressing well thanks to the forum.

Thanks for your help!
baby_beluga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
I would put a 30A fuse or circuit breaker in the black wire at some accessible point between the TT plug and where it connects to the + battery line in the trailer.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:17 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1957 16' Bubble
Fort Collins , Colorado
Thanks for your reply. So after the fuse, you would go straight to the house battery and not splice with the converter/battery?
Old 05-20-2011, 06:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
I would not splice if by that you mean cutting the insulation and twisting the wires together, using wire nuts or one of those automotive splice connectors that cut through the insulation. Your black wire is likely to be 10 or even better 8 gauge wire. As you surmised the +12V line between the converter and the + battery post is electrically the same. If given a choice I would crimp a correctly sized ring terminal to the end of the black wire and secure it to the bolt on the + battery post clamp. If not practical I would crimp on an appropriate connector to securely attach to the converter battery output terminal. Don't forget that fuse.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:13 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1957 16' Bubble
Fort Collins , Colorado
Great, so I will just run it from my umbilical junction box through a fuse direct to the +12v post. Thanks for your help.