Old 08-24-2010, 10:32 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Nicholasville , Kentucky
Charging battery on shore power.

I'm getting ready to leave for the maiden voyage to Petoskey Michigan in a few weeks. I've had the trailer plugged into shore power working on the floor alonge with other concerns and noticed when I unplugged her that the battery was dead. I removed the battery, the fluid was 1/2 an inch low in a couple of cells, but not terribly low and charged it up with a charger in the barn. It reads 12 volts. I have the original univolt system, which was charging the battery last year. When we were at the factory last month I had some battery power because I ran the pump while I was there unhooked to anything. As I was hauling the trailer back from the factory the lights came on bright when attached to the truck. I'm wondering if there is some type of fuse possibly blown. What should I check first.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:21 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Seattle , Washington
Hi Dan,

Have you got the cutoff switch turned on?, if you have had some work done on it, the shop may have turned it off and forgot to turn it on again. I have a 1989 excella, and my cut off switch is located behind the couch, above the univolt. I'm sure you'll be able to find it on your AS, and I'd check this out first if I where you.

Dan

Old 08-24-2010, 11:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
A 12 volt battery is actually a 13.4 v. battery (it can read higher, but that's another story). So, 12 volts is low. It could mean it wasn't charged long enough or the battery is getting weak (or both). A battery tester would be a help.

Gene
Old 08-24-2010, 11:48 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Will you be staying at the Petoskey "Kamp of Awful" (KOA) by any chance? I spent a few days there earlier this month; actually, other than the hard, smelly well water, it is one of the nicer KOA'S, and located in a beautiful setting, too!
Old 08-24-2010, 11:52 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
There is a battery fuse in the 12 panel, where ever it is...maybe behind the guacho?

If blown the battery won't charge or supply power either one, assuming no changes in factory wiring.
jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:39 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Nicholasville , Kentucky
Man, you guys are fast. As far as I know Streamer there is no cutoff switch on my 1965 unit. That doesn't mean there isn't one, just as far as I know. Jdalrymple, there are 2 fuses in the 12 volt panel and both look OK. Gene, I had it on 2 amp charge for over 24 hours and I am suspicious about the battery. I'll take it in to get it tested tomorrow after charging it again. And finally we are staying at Magnus park on the beach in down town Petoskey
Old 08-26-2010, 01:09 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Nicholasville , Kentucky
After charging for a second night the meter on the charger said it wasn't doing anything, so I took the battery to town and it checked out good on a battery tester. I haven't replaced the battery yet. (My pesky job getting in the way again) With the trailer plugged into shore power, and no battery, what should It read across the two battery hook ups with a volt meter? Or is there some other way of testing. There was some corrosion on the posts and I'm hoping that was the problem. I have some contact gel to dope them up with after cleaning them this time.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Yes, there should be voltage across the posts with the univolt powered up. Could be as high as 14.5 volts or so. Certainly more than 13 volts.

I would install the battery, power up the univolt, and check the voltage. Should be 14 or more.
jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:07 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
Check for a open(loose) connection behind the fuse clamp having the wire
that charges the battery. Check for corrosion on any ground connections
and clean(pocket knife / sandpaper). Sounds like a "Find / Fix" thing.