Old 08-19-2014, 09:09 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
LaPorte , Indiana
Charging batteries through 7-pin

So this is the idea. I take and make a plug for my 7-pin input a the front of my 76 tradewind. I would make the plug from a male 7-pin and only have a wire connected to the positive and negative terminals. The other end would plug in to a yamaha 1000w inverter generator on the 12v side. It should work like the tow vehicle, charging your battery when going down the road. This would work right or am I trying to hard to burn down my trailer?

Old 08-19-2014, 09:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Why don't you just plug your trailer into your generator using the power cord? This will charge the battery directly through the converter like you are plugging into shore power.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:12 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by daschus View Post
or am I trying to hard to burn down my trailer?
Haha! At least you're honest with yourself!

I just wonder if the power could flow "upstream" into your TV and damage something?
Old 08-19-2014, 11:19 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
LaPorte , Indiana
True pluging into the 120v would be the simplest and more then likely the best way. But the inverter generator makes 12v then inverts it to 120v. Then you plug it into 120v on the trailer and your converter changes it back to 12v. The only thing I'm think is that there would be a quicker charge time and less time you would need to leave the generator on. I don't know if it would screw up a TV because you tow vehicle is charging the batteries the same way.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
If you're wanting to charge from your generator while moving, why not do it with a battery tender? I think this would be faster, simpler, and safer.
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:12 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
I am not sure the original poster wanted to charge while moving, he said like when moving, which I interpreted to mean in a similar fashion. I don't think he intended to have two umbilicals attached at the same time, and I am not sure how you could even do that. The direct 12 volt solution sounds OK to me. Its pretty similar to having solar panels. I believe it would still go through the charge controller. But then I have heard others voice concern over the size of the wire in the umbilical being insufficient for rapid charging... A small generator as proposed here might be a good match though.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:15 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
And before we get into a debate on size of wire, how about a good old debate on the safety, efficiency and suitability of DC vs AC ala Edison v. Tesla!
Old 08-19-2014, 01:23 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
If I understand your question correctly, I think you'll find the 12V port on the gennie put out very low amperage and will take a very long time to charge the battery. Using the umbilical with 120V and the converter is much faster.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:30 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
I often amuse myself with conjuring up alternatives to the standard solar packages and even larger battery banks and controllers/inverters in many of the platforms coming out today like the RT E-Trek. I purposely bought my most recent RV (a RT CS) without any solar, so I could configure a solution myself.

Like my Rooftop PV system at home, I favor the newer technology for converting DC to AC via micro-inverters as it eliminates the single point of failure inherent in the older monolithic inverter designs.. Rightsizing the component for the application makes sense to me. I can see where there would be a significant cost savings by applying this same concept to trailers and B-Clas vans.

If this fellow can avoid upgrading the controller, and utilize a relatively inexpensive generator to achieve the same goals, then by all means do what is most thrifty. I like the idea of having a regular gasoline generator as part of any solution and not being reliant on plugging in or having the sun shine.

I am working on a solution that will utilize my Yamaha 2400IS generator and a couple of residential grade solar panels mounted to a 6x10 utility trailer, along with a bank of batteries and whatever size inverter I might need for a specific application, such as running an AC. I particularly like these new systems where you can supplement generator power with batteries (Yamaha did this and now there are additional inverter solutions for larger applications.)

I'll use the spare space in the trailer to carry a couple of Electric Motorcycles if I can keep the weight down.

But the bottom line is always better if you KISS.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:41 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
According to the Yamaha site, the 1000 genny is rated at 8 Amps DC output... versus 7.5/8.3 rated/maximum AC output. Not Bad!
http://www.yamahamotorsports.com/out...2/0/specs.aspx.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:57 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Not sure, Tom, of you're just stating a factoid, but it makes my point. 8 amps DC to charge as op proposes. Or enough juice to run the converter putting out 45 - 55 amps, DC , initially and running a proper charge routine if a quality converter. I guess I just don't get the point. What am I missing here?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:17 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by daschus View Post
So this is the idea. I take and make a plug for my 7-pin input a the front of my 76 tradewind. I would make the plug from a male 7-pin and only have a wire connected to the positive and negative terminals. The other end would plug in to a yamaha 1000w inverter generator on the 12v side. It should work like the tow vehicle, charging your battery when going down the road. This would work right or am I trying to hard to burn down my trailer?
Portable solar panels can use a male 7-pin receptacle connected directly to the solar panel controller that you can plug your female 7-pin on the trailer into for charging. It's the same principle as what I believe you are are proposing so I don't see why it wouldn't work with the battery charging port on the generator.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:06 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Charging batteries through 7-pin

My portable solar panel connects to the battery thru a 7 pin connector.
The beauty of a portable panel is. You can follow the sun all day.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:23 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
LaPorte , Indiana
So the generator on the 12v side puts out 8 amps and my converter is 30amps. Let me crunch the numbers here. I had to use all of my fingers and toes and then barrow my wife's and yes 30 IS bigger then 8. So this would be a great idea if I was camping and say a bear eats my 120v power cord. I can still charge my batteries without running a cord through my trailer. See, it work! The portable solar panel is a cool idea. Which got me thinking ( a bad sign) if I can put 12v in I can get 12v out. So I can use it as a 12v receptacle. To power something like a 12v air compressor.