Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2018, 05:56 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Morgan Hill , California
Charging batteries...again

First let me say that I DID do a search on this. Nothing exactly answered my question though.

New owner...not electrically inclinded.
2016 AS International Serenity 25FB

Can I leave the batteries in place (in the AS Batt box and all connected wires in place) and charge them using a battery charger (with alligator clips for Pos/Neg to the batteries) that plugs into my house with a normal cord?

Do I attach the Pos & Neg clips to ONE battery at a time?

Pos to one battery and Neg to the other battery?

And please type slow...and I'll read slow....

Thanks,
Mike
kbmwrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 06:11 PM   #2
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmwrs View Post
Can I leave the batteries in place (in the AS Batt box and all connected wires in place) and charge them using a battery charger (with alligator clips for Pos/Neg to the batteries) that plugs into my house with a normal cord?

Yes

Quote:
Do I attach the Pos & Neg clips to ONE battery at a time?
That works fine. They are in parallel - so they act as a single battery. Positive alligator clip to either positive terminal, negative alligator clip to either negative terminal.

Quote:
Pos to one battery and Neg to the other battery?
See previous response. Super simple setup.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 06:27 PM   #3
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Sure you can, but why not just plug the trailer in and let the converter charge the batteries?
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 06:45 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
Because the converter isn’t smart enough to stop charging and float when it hits capacity while the $50 chargers typically can.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 06:49 PM   #5
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I just plug mine in for a day or so a month during the off-season and then unplug it.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:00 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Morgan Hill , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
Sure you can, but why not just plug the trailer in and let the converter charge the batteries?
Trailer will NOT be next to home long enough to let the slow converter do that.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:03 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Morgan Hill , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Yes
That works fine. They are in parallel - so they act as a single battery. Positive alligator clip to either positive terminal, negative alligator clip to either negative terminal.
See previous response. Super simple setup.
Thank you for a very concise answer. Now I know.

I was afraid that it hurt the AS internal electrics somehow.

M
Old 02-24-2018, 09:51 PM   #8
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Thank you for a very concise answer. Now I know.

I was afraid that it hurt the AS internal electrics somehow.

M

My pleasure. For long term float maintenance consider buying a BatteryMINDer 128CEC1. It will periodically uses pulse type desulfation to ensure sulfate does not build up on the plates. It acts as a charger, maintainer AND desulfator with temperature compensation. Set it and forget it. Worth the money for long term care of lead acid batteries that sit for weeks/months at a time.

I have one permanently mounted in the engine bay of my tow vehicle (which has dual batteries like the AS) as the truck sits for long periods of time without use. Keeps the batteries nice and fresh! Use the 4A setting for 2 parallel batteries.

Good luck!
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:43 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
There are options. Why spend money on a battery charger when that has already been hashed out 15 years ago with smart converters. You didn't get one with your Airstream but it's an easy fix.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 05:54 AM   #10

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
http://www.batteryminders.com/12-vol...esfulator-1500

I found the above to work fine for me. I upgraded the terminal connectors to 18-gauge wire because I run my portable solar panels through the same connectors when camping. Works fine for me since I use the OEM Interstates. The ring connectors are attached positive to battery1, negative to battery2. This balances the current between both batteries, but both batteries must be must be very close in charge level to began with.

Tap on the products button to see what else they offer.
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:06 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Morgan Hill , California
Maybe I forgot to mention.....The AS is NOT parked near any electrical connection. It is in a storage lot. A battery tender on a extension cord of 6 miles might be an option but I think someone would unplug it.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:30 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Maybe I forgot to mention.....The AS is NOT parked near any electrical connection. It is in a storage lot. A battery tender on a extension cord of 6 miles might be an option but I think someone would unplug it.[emoji38]
Perhaps you are a candidate for a small solar battery maintenance system.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:09 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Lake Havasu City , Arizona
Good idea, Rich. In this situation, it makes sense. It doesn't take much power to keep the batteries topped off, and the cost of a small solar "battery maintainer" is in the $25-$50 range.
Paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:26 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Trailer will NOT be next to home long enough to let the slow converter do that.
I'll have to admit to being confused by the combination of the above with your initial post. Your converter will probably charge the batteries as fast as most chargers out there, IMO. Do you have a particular charger in mind? The bulk charge can be accomplished quickly, getting your batteries up to 80% charge or so, but the last 20% (absorption charge) takes longer because it is done at a lower charge rate.

What you don't want to do is let the batteries discharge too low while in storage and then charge them before going out. Probably the simplest thing to do is to disconnect the batteries while in storage. Good batteries should retain charge for weeks to months if not subject to phantom loads.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 01:05 PM   #15

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
I am toying with the idea of buying a 50w panel and using my current weatherproof controller as my battery maintenance charge controller.

https://www.altestore.com/store/char...roller-p11775/

I am thinking of mounting it permanently to the tongue, and laying a 50w flexible solar panel on the roof. Trying to figure out how to make it a temporary mounting, bungee cord it or what?
This should in full sunshine get you two amps into the batteries for a good trickle charge.
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:20 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
2018 27' International
carbondale , Colorado
Quick question on this forum. My AS is parked outside this winter here in Colorado. It's cold out . I have it plugged into house power and the converter is charging the batteries. My question is : are they still taking a beating being in the cold even though their getting the trickle charge or is there any benefit to taking them inside keeping them warm and putting them on a trickle charger? Thanks.
capt_ron777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:24 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_ron777 View Post
Quick question on this forum. My AS is parked outside this winter here in Colorado. It's cold out . I have it plugged into house power and the converter is charging the batteries. My question is : are they still taking a beating being in the cold even though their getting the trickle charge or is there any benefit to taking them inside keeping them warm and putting them on a trickle charger? Thanks.
Unless you have an upgraded 3 or 4 stage converter, yes they are taking a beating.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 02-25-2018, 02:30 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Waco , Texas
I think leaving in excessive cold is not a good practice. Even with trickle charging....extreme cold at 20F or less....greatly reduces the battery life. Proper winterizing of the AS should include removing both batteries for winter storage with a battery tender. Then your ready to go in the spring with batteries at 100%.
Martee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:36 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martee View Post
I think leaving in excessive cold is not a good practice. Even with trickle charging....extreme cold at 20F or less....greatly reduces the battery life. Proper winterizing of the AS should include removing both batteries for winter storage with a battery tender. Then your ready to go in the spring with batteries at 100%.
Not.
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...w_temperatures

Permissible charge and discharge temps for lead acid batteries is -4 to 122*f.