Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2016, 11:51 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
My interstates lasted exactly two weeks longer than yours. I replaced the p-lax with a PD unit last winter, but I'm afraid the damage was already done. 90K trailer and Thor chooses to save, what, 20 thirty bucks per unit and puts in cheap batteries? The Trojans I replaced the Interstates with have a 4 year warranty.

Mike
Don't forget they saved on the PD as well, a few more bucks.

Don't forget the batteries need maintenance, water checked. Even the Trojans.

Interstates aren't bad batteries. With a good charger and some regular maintenance they can last years.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 06:19 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiJoeSilver View Post

Interstates aren't bad batteries. With a good charger and some regular maintenance they can last years.
Agree. However, it appears that the Interstates do not get regular maintenance sitting on the dealers lot. And a four year warranty vs a one year warranty is some indication of the batteries initial build quality.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:53 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
The Plains , Ohio
Other than checking the water level periodically, what is regular maintenance? Keeping my battery minder attached in maintenance mode?
whitegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:59 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitegs View Post
Other than checking the water level periodically, what is regular maintenance? Keeping my battery minder attached in maintenance mode?
In the summer when I store my trailer I am completely disconnecting my new batteries. In the winter I am pulling the batteries and bringing them home to my garage where they will get put oon a battery tender every month.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 03:32 PM   #25
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitegs View Post
So I got the new batteries home yesterday, installed them with all the red leads to the anode of one battery and all the black leads to the cathode on the other. I also attached the eyelet leads from a batteryminder 1510 (1.5 amps) and connected it to the 10 foot cable to the charger plugged in inside the trailer. The batteries were charged when I got them from Interstate reading 12.66 volts. The batteryminder indicator started flashing when i plugged the trailer into shore power (with the disconnect switch in store position) indicating bulk/absorption charging. This morning the indicator was solid green indicating maintenance mode. The purple desulfating indicator was blinking throughout which according to the manual is a normal (desired) feature.
Interestingly, with the batteryminder in maintenance mode, the voltage on the batteries is 13.6 which is the same as the voltage applied by the Parallax converter when I have the switch in the use position. So why is it OK to have the batteryminder applying the float voltage but not the Parallax. I understand the Parallax is single stage and the batteryminder is multistage but during maintenance, I don't understand the difference since they seem to be applying the same float voltage except the batteryminder also has a desulfation function which is supposed to extend the battery life.
When I am camping with hookups, i wonder if I should use the Parallax, continue to use the batteryminder, or just disconnect by putting the switch in store position. Obviously when boondocking without hookups, I'll use the Parallax and a generator to top off the batteries and do a full charge when I get back home. I'm wondering if I can use the Parallax to get the batteries mostly charged and then switch to the batteryminder for the final absorption charge when I get back to shore power at home.
Notice I am avoiding the advice to switch out the Parallax for a multistage converter but I am concerned that with my 50 amp service (FC28 - 2 ACs) it may be a bigger job than the supposedly simple install with trailers with 30 amp service.
So many questions . Are we having fun yet?

Richard
Richard...... same advise, Call Randy, it only costs a phone call , and he won't steer you rong.

The most efficient use of the 'minder' is with NO load on the batt's.(I use two regularly, 6v car, 12v boat, neg cable off).

As I stated the P-Lax will keep the batts charged, just monitor it, no 24/7 charging, and ck water level.

Bob