Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2018, 12:34 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
Apison , Tennessee
charger/converter for 77 argosy?

I have a 77 argosy 24. it is cooking the batteries, and I want to fix the "humming" while plugged in. has anyone used the ones from out of doors mart? seems like a decent price. don't need anything special, just one that works. what amp should I look for?
http://odmrv.com/catalog/index.php?m...roducts_id=612
V30crewcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 02:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I am sure it will be fine. Everything I have gotten from Outdoors mart has been first rate. I just installed a 65 amp Boondocker ($160) from Best Converter and it went pretty well. I took the cover off the old converter before I removed it and cut the wires off inside to retain enough length to just hook them to the new converter. The cover was pop riveted on so I had to drill it off and bend it a little to clear the sofa. You will enjoy having the new setup. Mine was under the sofa and I managed to reach in under and do it without removing the sofa. But it was a pretty good stretch for a while. Our converter is on a switched plug so that I can turn it off. I like that feature and retained it when I put in the new one. I did loose the little red light on the panel that tells when the power is connected. No big deal to me. So by leaving that light off all I really had to do is to move 2 wires from one converter to the other and to unplug the old one and plug in the new one. (Seemed harder than that at first when I was under the sofa trying to figure out what I was going to do without enough wire).
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 02:38 PM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
While the one you linked doesn't actually say the brand in the ODMRV site, it's a Progressive Dynamics Intellipower which is one of the well-respected brands. 2 negatives I'd mention: The model they're selling is the single-stage that requires an upgrade "dongle" to run as a 3-stage charger, and the 9245 (3-stage higher-output) model is available for about $30 less from other sources. Oddly all the converters ODMRV lists are the 91xx single-stage models that require the ChargeWizard dongle added to make them 3-stage. If you're cooking the batteries you're leaving the trailer plugged in a lot, so I think you'd benefit from the 3-stage (higher voltage when the batteries need "bulk" charging, middle voltage for normal daily use, lower voltage for the "float" profile when the batteries are fully charged.) The Boondocker Bill M. mentioned is also a multi-stage charger.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 05:02 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
Apison , Tennessee
Thanks alot. looks like that 9200 series starts at 45 amp. any reason to upgrade to a 60 or will the 45 do everything I need? not sure what all needs to run off the converter other than lights, which I am going to upgrade to led soon.
Old 05-27-2018, 05:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
No reason to go higher than 45 amp. Unless you are planning to add more batteries.
The best prices I have found are on Ebay. Adventure RV in Tennessee is always very competitive. They usually place their logo on pics of items.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:12 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
Apison , Tennessee
the 45 amp is 750 watt, and the 60 is 1000 watt. what will that affect? worth getting the 1000 watt? just don't want to get the base model if the next one up might have benefits. Just not sure if its necessary. just plan to use it as a normal camper.
Old 05-27-2018, 06:51 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I went with a higher maximum output on both of my trailers (from 55 to 60 amp) to reduce the run time on my generator, faster battery charging when boondocking. This choice was based on advice from Randy at BestConverter.com.

Go with a multi-stage charging system, or you batteries will still boil and fry. I recommend a 4 charging stage converter.