Old 05-29-2010, 12:05 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Charge Wizard question

When I had my Intellipower Converter installed, the repair shop gave me a Charge Wizard (don't ask me why they didn't install it). I am not clear what it's purpose is... and if I need it. I have a 1974 Tradewind. Any thoughts? Thanks, Pam

Old 05-29-2010, 12:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
The Charge Wizard is a small external control/status indicator for the Inteli-Power. Since the Inteli-Power is mounted out of site, any indicators or controls on the unit itself would be pretty much useless, hence the Charge Wizard. It provides a visual indication of the mode (Boost, Normal, Standby) in which the converter is operating and a means to override that for an extra boost if needed.

I chose to mount my Charge Wizard on the wall below the front window above the bottom curtain track, see the photos in the first post here. That way the LED is covered by the curtains at night and is not such a distraction. After living with it a while, I'm glad I did. I can still see the LED through the curtain if I really look, and if I have a reason to want to see it I can just open the curtain a little.

Besides, you got a Wizard! How can you not want your Wizard installed?

Old 05-29-2010, 01:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Some of the Intellipower converters have the chargewizard logic built in and just use the dongle as an indicator and control as Vaughan describes. Other models don't have the smarts built in so need an external dongle to provide the smarts as well as the control and indication.

You do want the ChargeWizard control for your converter. It enables multiple stage battery charging and an excellent battery storage maintenance mode. The charging smarts mean your battery will recharge faster and the battery maintenance smarts will keep your battery in top shape for a longer overall life.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanl View Post
Some of the Intellipower converters have the chargewizard logic built in and just use the dongle as an indicator and control as Vaughan describes. Other models don't have the smarts built in so need an external dongle to provide the smarts as well as the control and indication.

You do want the ChargeWizard control for your converter. It enables multiple stage battery charging and an excellent battery storage maintenance mode. The charging smarts mean your battery will recharge faster and the battery maintenance smarts will keep your battery in top shape for a longer overall life.
bryanl is correct. Upon reflection, when I bought a new converter I got a 9200 series that has the intelligent part built-in (as do the new 4500 and 4600 units) and the pendant is an indicator/control unit. That was part of my decision for the 9200 model. The 9100 series relies on an external intelligent Charge Wizard to provide the multiple modes. See Progressive Dynamics' Website. What I have is technically a Remote Pendant that has a Wizard emblem on it connected to the Charge Wizard.

What model Inteli-Power converter did you buy? It will have the series number on the label. For example, if you look closely at the photos you can see that at the top of the lable mine says,"INTELI-POWER 9200 Series" (The yellow text show up much better on the dark purple background, but you get the idea). If your new converter is one that utilizes an external Charge Wizard, like the 9100 series, rather than a Remote Pendant (like mine), definitely connect the Charge Wizard. It is the brains of the system.

I apologize for any confusion. Thanks to bryanl for the heads-up.