Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2015, 01:13 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Crestview , Florida
charge rate of PD4655

Can anyone tell me the amount of amp hrs the PD4655 charge wizard puts out.
What I'm trying to do is the math on how long it will take to recharge my batteries using a generator and solar combo. What I would like to do is run generator for an hr or so in am while wife is doing her hair then let the solar finish the charge while I'm out hiking. I have a small solar system 6 to 9 amps
depending on conditions. Thanks Rand
grizbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
A 4655 should output 55 amps

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
PD 46xx converter chargers have their last two numbers as the MAX charge/use rate, in your case 55 amps.

BUT that charge rate will only happen when the batteries are quiet low. Typically you will find the charge rate near 45 or 50 amps for a few minutes when first hooked to the 120 volt source, then it will taper off to maybe 35, then 30 then 25 and 20 as the batteries become charged. Near full charge, the rate will drop to only a few amps, and then to under one amp.

Your solar charge system will do the same, depending on the charge controller.

You cannot "stuff" a battery faster than it wants, without damaging it. That is why the so called "smart chargers" taper off the charge to what the batteries will take without damage.

So, there is no way to calculate the exact recharge time without watching a meter monitoring the charge current and using that as your guide and experience.

And that is the simple explanation. It can get far more complex... LOL.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:00 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Crestview , Florida
Pd 4655

Thanks guys. After I wrote post it hit me call tech support ha. The guy there
said it varies with low batt its around 9-10 amps he talked more about voltage
in the end if you discharge batts to 50% appx 100 amps two grp 27's it will take appx 4 hrs to reach 90% and a total of 20 hrs to reach full charge that last 10%
takes a long time. So my plan is to use gen. for an hr or so to get things going in the am then let solar take over that will get me to 90+% for 4 to 6 days boon docking then go some where I can plug in for 24 hrs. to get back to 100%. Dump tanks refill water then start all over.
Thanks again for replies. Rand
Old 05-03-2015, 08:40 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
good battery usage in the field

grizbear, U R doing some good thinking about using & maintaining Ur trailer batts.
Bringing the batts up to full charge is important but takes a lot of time.

When U are using Ur A/S in the field, U can safely discharge to 50% . Recharging to 80% w/genset will B quick. That is good enough. Solar may top off to 85 or 90% during the day. U can do this for days or weeks w/o damaging the batts. It is the most efficient method for use of RV 12VDC system.

When U go home, then do the long charging to bring the batts. up to 100% for storage.
Let's Roll !
Wolf
Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 11:16 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Crestview , Florida
Charge rate PD4655

Thanks Wolf I'll be full time next year and will be spending a lot of time out in the boonies. The plan is to boondock 5 to 7 days then head to a full service campground for 1 to 3 days bring batts back to 100% empty tanks fill water buy supplies then head back out to the boonies. Batteries can't be forced to a full charge to quickly no matter how large a charger you have without damage is what I've been told by battery company techs. And that last 10% takes a while. The PD tech said 3 to 4 hrs for the first 90% then a total of 18 to 21 hrs to full. And that appears correct with my home tests. Thanks again Rand
Old 05-04-2015, 11:52 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
That's our plan too. Hopefully by next month we will be on the road.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 11:58 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
A properly sized solar charging system will charge your battery bank to 100% a lot faster than 20 hours and will also do it properly.

The systems that I install typically have the battery bank up to 100% by noon on a sunny day.

As always, YMMV !!

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 12:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
The amount of amperage that a battery can tolerate during the charging process is totally dependent on the construction if said battery and the specifications of the manufacturer. One size DOES NOT fit all in this situation.

You can charge Lifelines and our new lithium batteries with 3-5 times the normal charging amperage available with no damage what so ever. They just fill faster.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
Old 05-04-2015, 12:55 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Crestview , Florida
Pd4655

Thanks Lew I would like to have a really nice solar system but I'm just about maxed out on wt. We upgraded mattress and added recliners and 2 wet cell 6 volt batts and the wife thinks she has to carry multi. shoes clothes for 4 wks even if we are only going for a 10 day trip. The frig and pantry have to be full even if there is a wal mart 3 blocks away. So I don't have a lot of wt. capacity left. We are looking at moving up to the 30ft classic next yr or 2 and I will be looking you up for a dream solar system. I am thinking of ordering it without the shy lights for more room on roof for solar and I really don't like them, another place for leaks.I have read most of your posts and know what you are talking about but I have to work with the system I have for now. I have 2 85 watt panels and a morningstar controller sunsaver 20 portable system its appears to fully charge the batteries in 6 to 7 hrs and goes to float I have unplugged it waited four to six hrs and read 12.9 volts. I was going on what the guy at PD said about their unit, wasn't sure the batteries are really fully charged after talking to him last wk made me wonder, seems to me that 12.9 volts is fully charged if measured after batteries are rested for a few hrs.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:23 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Crestview , Florida
Solar setup

Lew on the new classic could you give the run down on the system you think would be in order. Using two group 27 lifelines the magnum converter charger that you talked about that can be used in conjunction with the 2000 watt gen. to run a 13500 btu AC. How many panels would be needed and where would the magnum be installed? Where would the control panel be located? If I remember you said that you don't drill holes in the roof that you glue the panels in place. That is very appealing to me I really dislike holes in the roof. And appx. cost for the ultimate system. How to set up an appointment for install. Thanks Rand
Old 05-04-2015, 01:29 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizbear View Post
Lew on the new classic could you give the run down on the system you think would be in order. Using two group 27 lifelines the magnum converter charger that you talked about that can be used in conjunction with the 2000 watt gen. to run a 13500 btu AC. How many panels would be needed and where would the magnum be installed? Where would the control panel be located? If I remember you said that you don't drill holes in the roof that you glue the panels in place. That is very appealing to me I really dislike holes in the roof. And appx. cost for the ultimate system. How to set up an appointment for install. Thanks Rand
Hey Rand,

I will take this off-thread. PM sent!