Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2009, 05:34 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Bonita , Texas
Change Univolt If It's Working ????

Is there any particular reason (advantages/disadvantages) to replace the Univolt if it's working OK ?? I have the 12v system up and running but have yet to plug it to shore power till I can inspect all the major systems for possible problems.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...7-clyde-2.html
Clyde-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:48 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Bonita , Texas
Surely someone here is still using there 25 year old Univolt ????

Old 09-01-2009, 05:59 AM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I replaced my working converter with a new Intelipower 9245 for a couple of reasons. I no longer have to worry about overcharging my battery and I don't have to listen to the hummmmmmmmmmm.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:27 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Bonita , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
I replaced my working converter with a new Intelipower 9245 for a couple of reasons. I no longer have to worry about overcharging my battery and I don't have to listen to the hummmmmmmmmmm.

Thanks...didn't know those things has a tendency to overcharge. I'm sure the hummmm about 2 feet under where you lay your head to sleep would get old !

Old 09-01-2009, 07:23 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
I still use my orig Univolt ... durable product - 1975 issue.
Loose connections just inside the old Univolt can cause some
troubles. Tighten all connections.
kennethowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:38 AM   #6
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I'm still using mine. It ain't broke, so I'm not fixing it.

I don't find the hum to be bothersome at all. barely audible, to me. (and no, I'm not going deaf; far from it. I wonder if a "failing" univolt makes a louder hum, or something, as I've seen so many over the years here complain about how noisy theirs is).

The only "issue" is that I've found that modern electronics (radio and tv) don't care for the un-clean power that they put out. tv and radio will just "shut off" at the slightest dip or spike in voltage...but only if running on battery. Since I hardly ever watch tv or listen to radio while unplugged, its not a big problem.

It would be nice to be able to just plug in at home, and forget about it. Again, since I don't boondock much, I'm not overly concerned about tip-top battery condition. That would be reason enough to replace, but overall, its not high on my priority list.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:31 AM   #7
Iwannagocamping

1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
I am going to change mine, mostly because while home we will keep her plugged in, and I wanted the three level charge float maintain capability of the intellipower 9260 w/ charge wizard thing...

The stock one seems to work fine, and in fact ours doesn't seem to hum very loudly.. of course I was on tanks for 20 years.. maybe it is humming loudly...lol but after reading about battery problems caused by overcharging, and knowing we were going to be plugged in most of the time....

Just the photos.. (sometimes you don't need the blog, just a picture worth a thousand words..)

1979 Sovereign International
2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2 Golden Retrievers

Air #36788
TAC#3179
WBCCI #1265
Dakota's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:56 AM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs down Be careful what you wish for...

After installing two new AGM's this Spring I decided it would be prudent to get rid of the OEM two stage Parallax.

Xantrex XADC 60A was the replacement of choice. Designed in Canada, made in, well you know....

First one failed after three days, second was DOA and is sitting on the workbench waiting for word from the "factory".

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:36 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Bonita , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
I'm still using mine. It ain't broke, so I'm not fixing it.

I don't find the hum to be bothersome at all. barely audible, to me. (and no, I'm not going deaf; far from it. I wonder if a "failing" univolt makes a louder hum, or something, as I've seen so many over the years here complain about how noisy theirs is).

The only "issue" is that I've found that modern electronics (radio and tv) don't care for the un-clean power that they put out. tv and radio will just "shut off" at the slightest dip or spike in voltage...but only if running on battery. Since I hardly ever watch tv or listen to radio while unplugged, its not a big problem.

It would be nice to be able to just plug in at home, and forget about it. Again, since I don't boondock much, I'm not overly concerned about tip-top battery condition. That would be reason enough to replace, but overall, its not high on my priority list.

Since mine seems to be working so far, I figure replacement of it will get pushed down the priority list. A small battery maintainer attached to the battery should help during times when not being used.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:49 PM   #10
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

After installing two new AGM's this Spring I decided it would be prudent to get rid of the OEM two stage Parallax.

Xantrex XADC 60A was the replacement of choice. Designed in Canada, made in, well you know....

First one failed after three days, second was DOA and is sitting on the workbench waiting for word from the "factory".

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is.

And so, Bob, since I'm about to replace the Univolt in our '02, what would be your new choice????

(seriously, though, sorry you're getting so much grief over what should be a simple swap out!)

best,

Joseph & Gabrielle
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:52 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
scappoose , Oregon
The Univolt, is truely a "uni", meaning "one", voltage.
The output voltage is not high enough to really "stir-up" the electrolyte in the batts, and completly charge them, but at the same time, (and this is worse), it has too high a voltage to "float" the batts at the proper level.
It really is an ancient type unit,like an old "farm charger".
The modern 3-stage chargers go a long way, towards allowing your batts to have a long service life.
rangebowdrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:25 PM   #12
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs down My experience

whacht out......http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...ems-55549.html
Old 09-10-2009, 09:43 PM   #13
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
And if you read it through to the end, that thread DOES have a happy ending. The key is to buy from a good dealer, which Robert did.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:18 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
FAYETTEVILLE , North Carolina
I'm just going to throw this out there for you. I am working on a 1964 Safari. I'm not sure if the Univolt is the same as in your trailer. I wasn't going to replace mine until I installed a fantastic fan. After I installed it I couldn't figure out why the fan wasn't working. After doing some research, the Univolt didn't convert the voltage from 110v AC to 12v DC as you would expect. It converted the 110v AC to about 12v AC. Modern DC electronics do not like low voltage AC power. The fan would open, but wouldn't rotate. I switched mine out and also installed a 12v fuse panel. This has enabled me to do some extra wiring that I wasn't able to do before.

This is just from my research and I am not an electrician. I just wanted to throw this out there for you in case you had some intentions of wiring something other than the original appliances or lights. I also read the instructions for my water pump and it explicitly stated 12v DC.

If you have any questions let me know.

Nick
wiegand01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:27 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Just because the Univolt is apparently working at 20 plus years is no assurance. Mine was replaced two years ago at 20 years and upon inspection was partially burned out. Never tried to diagnose what was burned out, it just was.

New units cause batteries to use a lot less water and appear to last longer as well.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:15 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Cape Coral , Florida
Replaced my univolt with a new xantrex. The univolt was working fine, but it kept boiling the water out of the battery and mostly I couldn't stand the loud "hum". The new one is very quiet and I can just leave it plugged in without worry. When the first xantrex died within a year, Best Converter replaced it immediately. I'm happy I made the switch.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:22 AM   #17
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Wink

Keep talk'n guy's, I plan to re-visit this again in the Spring.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:45 PM   #18
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
based upon a discussion with Randy @ bestconverter.com yesterday, we ordered up an Iota DLS-55 / IQ4. see DLS-55 55 Amp Power Converter w/IQ4, or IOTA Engineering DLS-55 12VDC Battery Charger and Power Converter - 55 Amps

see also IQ Smart Charger for DLS Series Battery Chargers from IOTA Engineering ; and DLS Series Dual Voltage Jack - apparently now adaptable to 14.8 VDC, according to Randy.

chose it based upon the charging voltage flexibility, and Randy's observation that " I'm really starting to like that Iota, and it never fails."

we'll let you know how it goes!

best,

Joseph & Gabrielle

jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 08:18 AM   #19
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2 View Post
And so, Bob, since I'm about to replace the Univolt in our '02, what would be your new choice???
best,

Joseph & Gabrielle
A bank of new D-cells...

Seriously.....Don't really know, only have a few trips left this Season and the Parallax is working fine, just don't leave it plugged in for days at a time. Will wait til Spring and make the decision.

One thing I do know, it won't be a Xantrex, two strikes already. But that's just a personal decision.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:24 PM   #20

Red Deer , Alberta
I am glad that I read this posting. I was literally about to place an order for an Xantrex replacement for my Magnetek 6345. Now I think that maybe I'll stick with what I have. I live in Canada and having to pay for shipping back a couple of duds to get a good one would get kind of expensive, not to mention time consuming.
Thanks for the heads up.
bbc0 is offline   Reply With Quote