Old 09-10-2009, 10:27 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Just because the Univolt is apparently working at 20 plus years is no assurance. Mine was replaced two years ago at 20 years and upon inspection was partially burned out. Never tried to diagnose what was burned out, it just was.

New units cause batteries to use a lot less water and appear to last longer as well.

wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:15 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Cape Coral , Florida
Replaced my univolt with a new xantrex. The univolt was working fine, but it kept boiling the water out of the battery and mostly I couldn't stand the loud "hum". The new one is very quiet and I can just leave it plugged in without worry. When the first xantrex died within a year, Best Converter replaced it immediately. I'm happy I made the switch.

georgezink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:22 AM   #17

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY

Keep talk'n guy's, I plan to re-visit this again in the Spring.
AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:45 PM   #18
Rivet Master
2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
based upon a discussion with Randy @ yesterday, we ordered up an Iota DLS-55 / IQ4. see DLS-55 55 Amp Power Converter w/IQ4, or IOTA Engineering DLS-55 12VDC Battery Charger and Power Converter - 55 Amps

see also IQ Smart Charger for DLS Series Battery Chargers from IOTA Engineering ; and DLS Series Dual Voltage Jack - apparently now adaptable to 14.8 VDC, according to Randy.

chose it based upon the charging voltage flexibility, and Randy's observation that " I'm really starting to like that Iota, and it never fails."

we'll let you know how it goes!

Joseph & Gabrielle

jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 08:18 AM   #19

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY

Originally Posted by jm2 View Post
And so, Bob, since I'm about to replace the Univolt in our '02, what would be your new choice???

Joseph & Gabrielle
A bank of new D-cells...

Seriously.....Don't really know, only have a few trips left this Season and the Parallax is working fine, just don't leave it plugged in for days at a time. Will wait til Spring and make the decision.

One thing I do know, it won't be a Xantrex, two strikes already. But that's just a personal decision.
AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:24 PM   #20
Red Deer , Alberta
I am glad that I read this posting. I was literally about to place an order for an Xantrex replacement for my Magnetek 6345. Now I think that maybe I'll stick with what I have. I live in Canada and having to pay for shipping back a couple of duds to get a good one would get kind of expensive, not to mention time consuming.
Thanks for the heads up.
bbc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:25 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member
No more boiling out batteries....

I inadvertently destroyed several almost new batteries several years ago leaving mine plugged in at home.

Solved the problem by putting in a heavy duty timer in the line. Now I just set it to run a short time each day and no problems. I increase the time when out on the road using the 12 volts more.

Now I just check the water level every couple months and add just a bit to top off.

Sav'h Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:10 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member
1971 27' Overlander
Springfield , Missouri
I'm a newbie here, but I have a '71 Overlander. I will be taking my maiden voyage soon. My Univolt seems to work well with the battery and 110v hook up. I've never had it hooked to 30amp, though. It doesn't hum and everything works. It's 38 years old!! What unit should I buy and how much amp? I plan on having a TV, elec. heater, microwave and computer.
Ag'71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:28 AM   #23
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
The 110 volt hook up is also refereed to as the 30 amp. It is the power line that plugs into shore power and it is rated for 30 amps in most cases. The size of your converter (univolt) would be based on your 12 volt demands, mostly the number of batteries you have on board. I have one battery and a 45 amp converter is fine for my setup.

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:54 AM   #24
Rivet Master
1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
We still use the Univolt,its 32 yrs old. It only humms cause it dont know the words.
But seriously it seems to work perfectly except for the humm. Mine has never boiled the water out of the batterys. I do check once a month. I have had to add distilled water once in the last yr.
I think I am going to try and rebuild it this winter. I am getting buzz in the radio and that mean the filter capacitors are bad.
I will stick with the OEM as long as parts are available. Anyone got a schematic of the UNIVOLT.

Roger & MaryLou
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote