Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2007, 12:44 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Willits , California
Change-out Univolt for WFCO

I'm changing out my univolt with a 55 amp WFCO converter ( I like to sleep at nite ). The Univolt had a separate lead for the "power on light" on the 12 volt fuse panel. Since I hooked it in the ampmeter on the central control panel does not work so I imagine that it runs that also. How is the best way to hook up this 55 amp unit to a 4 amp breaker???
Bulldogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 12:51 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure I understand what you're wanting to do. There is really no place for a 4 amp breaker to be put on your converter. The minimum is 20 amp per circuit on your coach. Hook the main + lead to the hot lead on the fuse panel, and the - lead to the spot marked on the panel, and it's done.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:04 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Willits , California
My airstream is all original and the Univolt and fuse block are as well. The fuse block already has the 4 amp breaker and the wireing for the "power on light" there were 3 leads out of the univolt..one large positive, one negative and one small guage positive that hooked directly to the 4 amp fuse. The new converters do not have this extra lead, only pos. & neg. To me it seems to big a jump to hook the 4 amp breaker to the rest.. but what do I know.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Search the posts! You need to hook up a separate 12v supply for the old power on telltale. An old electronics wall wart will work fine. You can use AC or DC. If you use DC observethe polarity.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 02:30 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Willits , California
Thanks, I finally found your stream from June 06, that helps a lot. Raises the other question??? Why is the ampmeter not working as before??
Old 09-02-2007, 03:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger
Thanks, I finally found your stream from June 06, that helps a lot. Raises the other question??? Why is the ampmeter not working as before??
The ammeter also has two wires that connected it to the old univolt, at the brass buss bar.

Your ammeter will not work with the new style converters, unless you use the fuse panel from the original univolt.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 03:35 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Willits , California
Thanks, but my problem is that I am still using the old fuse panel and now it does not work...any suggestions?
Old 09-02-2007, 10:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger
Thanks, but my problem is that I am still using the old fuse panel and now it does not work...any suggestions?
Check and see if you have any voltage on the brass buss bar.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 06:38 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Crossville , Tennessee
Hello Guys, I am in dire need of a Univolt V automatic batterycharger and power supply as the old '72 31' International is all gone. Help me find one please, you out there who are more knowledgeable than I am. Original one is input: 120 VAC 60 HZ 6.8 amps
Output: 12 VDC 45 amps.... 12 volt DC distribution panel w/ replacement fuse inside. Original Triad-UTEAD from Huntington, IN 46750 Litton Thanks so much for your kind help. Betty
Wiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:05 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
There are two places I can think of that you might contact for help with this.

One is to contact Andy at Inland who also posted some answers here.

Another place to check with is:

BestConverter - Inteli-Power, WFCO, Parallax, Xantrex, Samlex, Electrical Supplies

I understand that the owner is a member of these forums.

Both places should be able to get you started with some advise as to what you on what you need on the phone.

Malcolm
Old 11-09-2007, 08:11 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
The ammeter also has two wires that connected it to the old univolt, at the brass buss bar.

Your ammeter will not work with the new style converters, unless you use the fuse panel from the original univolt.

Andy
Andy,

I am faced with having to replace the charger converter on my 1973 unit. The original is entirely gone. I do, however, still have the original fuse panel and other than being a bit dirty it looks to be in OK shape. Is there anything in particular that I should be looking for to make sure it is OK to reuse?

I saw the brass bus bar on the panel. It evidently is adjustable in that the one connection appears to be able to slide along the slot. I don't see any mention of it in the service manual. What would the adjustment do and how do I decide if it needs it?

What are you recommending as the right choice for replacing the charger/converter if I use the original fuse block?

Thanks,

Malcolm